New Cyclone 3210

Dirt1st

Just signed a buyers order for a 2007 Cyclone 3210, and should be able to claim it from the dealer next Thursday or Friday, March 15 or 16. My wife and I are pretty excited. We are moving up from a 2004 Weekend Warrior FBD 2600, and are looking forward to having some additional living space. The Cyclone will go straight from the dealer to the scales, and I will report the "as delivered" dry weight and pin weight when I get it. I decided to go with a B & W Turnover Ball hitch and 5th wheel companion, because I really like having a completely flat truck bed when not towing. The information I found on this sight has been extremely helpful, and I hope to be able to add some of my own information in time. I did upgrade to 2 - 6 volt batteries (I had done that to my Warrior), because we do a lot of boondocking, and I know the 6 volts work a lot better. I also have a 75 watt solar panel that usually keeps the batteries in good enough state of charge to go at least a week without running the genny, unless the heater runs a lot.

jbeletti

Congrats on the new Cyclone. Glad you found the forum useful. We look forward to your contributions.

Jim

Lizn8r

Dirt1st said:
The Cyclone will go straight from the dealer to the scales, and I will report the "as delivered" dry weight and pin weight when I get it.

Just curious ... did you get the actual weights on the rig yet? I am seriously considering a 3210 purchase, but the biggest thing that "scares" me is the actual weight :eek:. I'm wondering how close I am going to be with a 08 Ford F350 6.4L PSD SRW. Please let me know you results... and CONGRATS on your new rig!!! I hope to join you soon in the 3210 family!

Dirt1st

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this thread. My beginning was not very auspicious - picked up my 3210 Cyclone on Friday, March 16, and headed for home, about 16 miles from the dealer. Just before I got home, I got a shorted brake signal from my brake controller. At home I crawled under the trailer, and found the brake wires on all three axles were rubbing against the inside of the driver's side tires, and had worn through the insulation on two of the axles. Using a couple of zip ties, and some electrician's tape, I pulled the wires away from the wheels, and took the trailer back to the dealer.
I didn't pick the trailer up again until the 26th of March. Went straight from the dealer to the scales where I store my trailer. I have a 2003 Silverado HD D/A. Weight of the truck with only me and 3/4s of a tank of fuel is 7,040. Combined weight of truck and 3210 Cyclone was 19,340, pin weight is about 2,600 lbs. Trailer was dry with exception of propane and 2-6 volt batteries. Way, way heavier than I was expecting, based on the information on Heartland's website, and sales literature. The sticker in the trailer says it weighs 10,950 lbs, and the pin weight is 2,130 lbs.
I may not have enough truck for this trailer. The pin weight will go down when I put toys in the garage, but maybe not enough. I will have to wait and see. It is beyond me why the manufacturer cannot or will not provide accurate weights of trailer as delivered.

ct0218

Normally the posted weights are for the base unit, without options. Those options add up fast--both # and $.

mufflerman

I you read the weight sticker it stats as manufactured at the factory.
It also stats that dealer installed option's may reduce CCC
They should weigh evey trailer individually, not just one that is may not be complete.
I bought a 3795 in Dec. 05 sticker said 11520, went straight to scales and it weighed in at 12400. heartland replaced it for many other reason's and on my replacement unit they incressed the weight to 11950 ( I think ) witch is still light but closer.

Loco

We also have a 3795 the the weight was around 11950 also. The true weight was 12,300lbs empty. All the manufactures do this and dealers will tell people they can pull it with the trucks they have and alot of times it is not true. The truck may pull it but it is over loaded.

Last edited:

leslie

Hi all,

I'm looking at Cyclone 3210. Can any one tell me what the sticker weight includes? I'm stumped at just what options would add around 1350 lbs?

Cheers,
Leslie

Dirt1st

I don't have the weight sticker in front of me, I can check the language tomorrow. Slides are part of the trailer, the generator is considered an option, but that should only add 400 lbs or so to the weight. All of the other options - 12 gal water heater vs 10, DVD player, etc can't possibly add up to 1,000 lbs over the standard equipment. I am puzzled by the discrepancy between the advertised weights, and the actual weights.

jbeletti

Hi all,

I am not defending Heartland on this but just wanted to point out a couple more things that may add some weight to the base (no options) coach that when added up, add some weight. Some of this will apply and some will not - to each person's situation.

In the final analysis, I feel that listed coach weights should be realistic and traceable back to a reference coach with a defined build. I don't think that we'll see the day anytime soon, that coach manufacturers weigh each coach as it leaves the plant and then create and install the weight sticker. Be nice, but just don't see it happening.

• Gel Coat
  • More than one battery (35 - 65 pounds each)
  • Propane Weight at 30 or 40 pounds per tank + weight of empty tanks
  • Water in tanks (at 8.3 pounds/gallon)
  • 2nd AC
  • Generator + wiring & switch
  • Dual Pane Windows
  • Refer upgrade (to 10 or 12 cu ft)
  • TrailAir Hitch
  • Awning Toppers
  • Exterior Paint
  • Washer/Dryer
  • Granite Counters

Here again, this list is not presented to be comprehensive. It is presented only to offer ideas as to some items that add extra weight to a coach as delivered from the dealer. Certainly, most options add weight to the base. Some items listed are only available on certain models.

leslie

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the list, there are few things there I had not considered. I am in the process of matching a Cyclone that meets my requirements to the tow vehicle I already own, '08 f350 PSD/SRW, looking at a Cyclone 3210.

It just seems very odd to me that weight is treated so casually by manufacturers (not just Heartland). It seems that you can do all the reasearch, buy a trailer and it's still a crap-shoot when you go to the scales.... after you own the rig.

I'm very new to this, am I alone in this concern? Perhaps I'm just a conservative (anal) engineer :)

Cheers,
Leslie

jbeletti

Leslie,

You are not alone with this concern. You are armed with knowledge and now know to ask plenty of questions of those who have come before you.

My sense is that when you come up with your final order, that you'll find at least a few here that have build that are similar and that know their weights.

That should get you within a couple hundred pounds of accuracy. If that couple hundred pounds ends up being a deciding factor for you, you'll most likely want to reconsider floorplans or tow vehicles.

Best of luck to you,

Jim