Three questions: Vehicle Recomm. Landmark Model and Price.

Rksavage

We want to begin with input from the field about purchasing a new Landmark.
1. Vehicle: Will a 2011 Ford F250 Diesel Crewcab two wheel drive handle a 40' Landmark? No 4x4 please. We are Southern Region and if we travel north will be in warmer months only.
What is the least I must have for a gear ratio. I want to conserve fuel when unattached.

2. Is the Key Largo Landmark as nice a you would consider...we would like to have as much leather as possible...We are all things western. Also we want size...as close to 40' as possible with slide outs.

3. What is the going price for the stated model (Ball park will do) and are there any tips on where to buy and the approach.

Would appreciate any feedback. Will have more questions later. :)

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Rksavage, I just bought the Key Largo and believe that a 1 Ton truck is pretty much needed. 40 foot and 16000 pounds is a lot of trailer behind you. We bought a 1 ton dually. As far as the Key Largo it is wonderful. Very open and with the island in it, it has the most counter space they have ever put in a RV according to HL. I wont tell you how much we did pay for ours but I know about 2/3 of MSRP would be a close estimate. Give RV for Less out of Knoxville TN a look. rvsforless.net is there website. Good luck on your new rig. And also if you do buy the Key Largo give me a buzz. Michael

danemayer

The F250 and F350 both will have about the same towing specs and will both pull the weight of the Landmark. The difference is that the F350 has a much higher payload. The Landmark pinweight plus hitch weight, plus driver/passengers weight, plus fuel weight, plus other stuff you put in the rig and in the truck will certainly overload the 250's payload spec. You'll want the payload of the F350. The cost difference is around $1000.

jbeletti

There are many who will debate 3/4 ton versus 1 ton. If it's true that the cargo carrying capacity is higher in a 1 ton, then that's an important consideration in my opinion, if you need a higher cargo capacity.

I need it because, I always have:
- a Landmark (they are generally a bit heavier)
- a second AC
- a washer and dryer
- a generator
- a completely full storage area - and I mean "completely full"

I have yet to weigh this unit but I am guessing the pin weight to be at least 4,000 based on my options and loading. Note too that this unit is 40' 11". The Key Largo is no slouch at 40' 6".

Great choice of RVs and you're asking great questions. Make your truck choice wisely and buy it once :)

Jim

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We pull our 38' Landmark with a 2008 F250 4x4, with extra overload springs added, giving it a higher payload than a standard F350. HOWEVER, if I could easily trade right now I'd move up to at least an F350 Dually or preferrably an F450 (or even a chassis cab like Jim B). I'm comfortable pulling mine, but I'd be more comfortable with the added capability and stability of the duallies.

bdb2047

About vehicle,I have 2011 F350 DRW gvwr is 13200,I believe that is latest figure.Our camper loaded 2 people and fuel tank full and and all camper tanks about 1/3 full and loaded for 4 months winter travel, gives me 12800 GVW for truck.Camper comes to 15300,3400 for pin.These are Cat scale weights.I do not think trucks you are talking about wuold have trouble pulling but weights could be an issue.These figures are all within ratings of DRW.Hope this helps w/truck

Sailor

Like others have said you can get by with a 3/4 tom. How ever with a 1 ton DRW you will have a lot mot stablity, and you ever have a blow out on the rear of the truck you will be thankful you had DRW. I am not got to say one brand is better then others. O would say what ever you buy look for something that has a factory installed Jake barak. Good luck, have fun, and you will love the GC.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Please don't even consider a F-250 as you will around 2000# over on payload. I have the F-250 and its about right for my Sundance XLT Ultra-lite. ( I only have 200 lbs extra payload left before i'm overloaded.) A F450+ dually will be much safer "legal" TV.

mmomega

AnyTimer
If you go to Fords SuperDuty site and check the towing capacities you will see where the HUGE difference is.
1st off the 350 will handle a lot more pin weight.
2nd the 250 and 350 SRW only come with 3.31's or 3.55's
Lastly the 350 dually comes with 3.73's which bumps you from 16,000lbs of towing(3.55's) to 20,800lbs.

So... Since you brought up the Key Largo, I will be picking ours up for the first time tomorrow morning, so slam me with as many questions as you want then. I'll take pics of anything/everything. Also going to weigh it tomorrow when we pull out from the dealer, CAT scale 1/4mile down the road.

My opinion, I would just get the F350, it's definitely worth it for towing the larger trailers. I think you'll be fine without DRW with this trailer, only rated @ 16,250 GVWR but again I'll give some real numbers tomorrow. The 2011's have gobs of power and easily make up for a slightly lower gear, within reason.

The trailer is over 40', actually right at 41' . There's not a lot of leather, just 2 recliners and the couch but yeah I do think this trailer is very nice. Again I'll get you more pics tomorrow.

As for price... this unit was MSRP'd at $88k and we got it quite a bit lower than that, quite a bit, but again this was at an RV show where they usually get more room to budge than the ones sitting on their lots. If you want a number to call or our salesman just PM me and I'll hook you up.

6.7powerstroke

Go with the F350 SRW if it is a daily driver with the 3.55 gears. 3.31 is too low for that amount of weight. Dually is always better, but as mentioned, you move to 3.73 gears and have 2 more tires so your mileage will suffer. GVWR is 11,600 on the 350 SRW as opposed to the 250 which is 10,000. It is only about a grand more and you get the payload upgrade, hydroboost brakes as opposed to vacuum and a bigger rear end with a higher payload capacity. Too much trailer for a 250, the 350 will suit you fine!

Take a look at the Rushmore. We picked up ours about two weeks ago and absolutely love it. It is so open, cozy and the floor plan makes it easy to have several people in at once and not feel like you are sitting on top of each other. Got ours which the dark chairs and the dealer (ExploreUSA-San Antonio) liked the look so much he ordered 2 more just like it.

lwmcguir

Go with the F350 SRW if it is a daily driver with the 3.55 gears. 3.31 is too low for that amount of weight. Dually is always better, but as mentioned, you move to 3.73 gears and have 2 more tires so your mileage will suffer. GVWR is 11,600 on the 350 SRW as opposed to the 250 which is 10,000. It is only about a grand more and you get the payload upgrade, hydroboost brakes as opposed to vacuum and a bigger rear end with a higher payload capacity. Too much trailer for a 250, the 350 will suit you fine!

Our newest truck is a 2011 F350 CC SRW KR with 6.7 and 3.55 with 20 inch wheel/tires. The 355 with the double overdrive transmission seems like the perfect gear ration for a light trailer under 20K. It handles our camper like it was a 20 foot and we pull a tandem dually flat bed with it hauling tractors and still get around 13 mgp. Go with the 20" tires/wheels if you want a bit more of a safety margin. We are very impressed with this truck and you will love the towing mirror feature as well. The computer has more features than you can imagine but the pleasure in driving it is just awesome. Get at least a Lariat, you wont be sorry.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Actually just got back with the Key Largo and at the CAT scale she weighed 13,620. This is every option except washer/dryer. 2700 pin weight.