3950 or 370?

rebelfan

Wondering if anyone else trying to make a decision on a 3950 or 370 model. I know they seem to have the same floor plan or really close, but is it worth the money to go to the 370.

porthole

Retired
If you like the 3950, but really really like the 370, how will you be after the the 3950 is in the driveway? Jonsing about the 370?

Cheaper to just spend more and get what you really want rather then trading up next year.

I really like our 3010, but I much preferred the larger models with the second head. At the time the purchase was based on getting something our truck would handle, so the 3010 it was.

The truck was replaced 3 months ago so now I really really like the big trailer - but replacing this one is out of the question for now.

rebelfan

Thanks Duane, after much time thinking about this I know I would be quite happy with the 3950 hd.

Now all I have to do is work on the dealer and his price! As the way it's sounding right now I might be taking a 500 mile trip to save about $7000 to get one. Oh well!!!!!!!

jsawyer

i too am interested in the 370 and 3950. I am leaning toward the 370 because i like the bigger shower but the basement storage and bedroom clothing storage is not as good.

jsawyer

Well, the wife likes the 3950HD. She can live without the big shower. I like the clothes storage and bigger basement. Now I have to figure out if I should keep the 05 SRW or go dually. Anybody tell me how to add my sig with truck info?

jimtoo

Hi jsawyer,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and soon to the family of owners. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

To change your signature, go to "settings" top right of page...then on left side scroll down to "settings" area and you will find "signature". There you can add or change it.

If it's doable,,,,go with the dually.

Jim M

jsawyer

Jim,
Thanks for the welcome. I am very excited to be part of this forum. Now down to business: In my mind the truck i have is the best because its paid for and i like that very much. As you can see in my sig, i have purposely built this truck for heavy hauling thus far and will continue. We love the layout of the 3950 because to me its a tool as will as vacationer. I will retire in Hurricane country and we can evacuate extended family members and never have to worry about Hotel bills or eating out. Heck, a rest area with Semi trucks parked would be our home for the night with the Gen and A/C.
I am upgrading by tires this summer to the Durra Grappler 275-75-17 rated at 3970lb per. The Transmission will be a Georend built for this. I have read a lot of good things about Smarty Jr because i want enough power to get out of the way but not to drag race. 400HP to the ground is good enough for me.
All this being said, I am not oppsed to the new 800ft/lb Dodge Dodge Dually's. They are very nice and can tow a small barge..:) Used of course..

Kingcat

Sounds like a very nice truck that you have for pulling. Your programmer seems to be very impressive, able to get 400hp to the ground on a safe tow tune sounds great!

BarneyFife

We've had our 370 two months now. So far, we love it, except for a brake problem that's being worked out right now.

We did look at a 3950 while choosing our new toy hauler but decided on the 370. Why? The 370 was prettier than the 3950 they had on the lot. How's that for an educated decision?

We were really concerned about the bedroom being somewhat tight. But now that we've used it, the bedroom is the best we've ever "camped" in. Its quite cozy and the bed itself is extremely comfortable. The shower being so large is awesome. But the storage compartments are indeed quite small.

If you take a lot of toys, it takes some creative packing to store "utility" type stuff. But of course, if the toys are minimal, the garage holds a bunch of stuff. Our garage has an extra refrigerator instead of the washer/dryer and that's fantastic.

Bighurt

Try and keep in mind both those units are listed as 18k GVWR, your SRW truck is rated for less at 12950.

gpshemi

I got motor and suspensions mods as well, but I'd tow that anywhere. My setup with our ezgo express limo comes in at 26k. I've been through the smokies on 95 degree day in stop and go traffic. We did better than most. Other than probably adding a trans cooler, I'll do the trip again this coming summer.