Flex-Guard hinge re-do

ChopperBill

Anyone know what size hinge (spacing between the holes) that you used in fixing the plastic flex-guard? I have a new flex-guard but doubt it will last unless I do the customer update. The Lippert fix doesn't look like it will do much good.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I'm not sure why the standard Lippert fix would not work. Lippert went through all of the units at last year's rally and replaced any that were defective (lots of them, including a couple on my unit). Haven't had any problems since (did not even know I had a problem to begin with).

ChopperBill

Well, I measured one side and the bolt spacing was 2 inches. Went to the store and bought two 2 1/2 inch hinges with 2 inch hole spacing. Did one side and went to the other to do it. Darn! That one was about 2 1/2 inch hole spacing! That was the side they fixed and it looks like they put in a 6 inch piece of flex-guard in the middle and made the thing longer. It didn't seem to be as taught as the other side so I left well enough alone.

cdbMidland

At last year's rally, Lippert workers inspected all of the units that were at the rally and replaced the flexline on any that had broken. I believe that it had a hinge that the previous ones did not and without the hinge, the flexline could break (not sure if it was as the slide was extending or retracting, or under what temperature conditions). As I mentioned earlier, I have not had any problems with the new ones that Lippert installed.

Uncle Rog

Thank you Jim, I need to do something with mine or I will rip out a bunch of wiring in the near future. The shop fix for mine was back to original not the improved version...........UR

jbeletti

UR,

I'd guess that Lippert would send the kit(s) out to you if you want to do them yourself or to your dealer/service company.

For others reading this who are attending the rally in Goshen, IN at the end of May 2007, Flex Guard replacement is something that can done at the rally, if you care to baby your broken one(s) along until then.

Jim

Midastouch

Now that I know what all this is about, my doorside slide hinge is broke off ... noticed that the other day. I guess that will be on my list of fixes. I think I have a little work to be done in reference to the "axle" fix. My dealer (RV's for Less) and the factory have talked and looked at pics I sent. What needs to be done can wait until we get to Indiana but arrangement will be made for me to get the complete fix while there.

dennylm

Should those of us who are waiting for our recently ordered units to be built assume that Lippert has fixed this on new units?

Midastouch

After us looking at the pdf file for the recall on"axle" mods and the installation, it seems I have the first stage of the fix done, but not the whole modification, so .... not sure about all that ... the rest will have to be done.

I was just thinking we would get a hinge and do the flex guard fix ourselves but some of the others on the subject said they have not experienced any more problem since the rally last year.

cdbMidland

Maybe I bragged too early, or maybe the one that just broke on our way north was not one of the ones repaired, but I now also have a broken Flex-Guard on the doorside slide. We are still 480 miles from home, so I'll wire it up tomorrow with some cable ties.

C

Chulinw

Lippet came out with a post on how to fix. It is called Lippet Components, Inc LIP sheet - 0028. HEARTLAND RV - FLEXGUARD field fix.
I think you can find it hear on the search is how I got a print out on it. Wish I could help out more but that is all the information I have.

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
The fix

I just drilled additional holes in the plastic to match the hinge and one hole in the hinge to match their holes in the frame. Not too much trouble, one side done, still have to do the other side.

mike

Mike
I had all three of my Flex Guards broke at the frame side, contacted Lippert by email and Van sent out 3 new FLex Guards that were also wader than the old ones. Replaced all of them this week end and while doing so I found that only 1 of them was mounted to the Z channel on the fram. My unit had all three "Z" channels welded to the frame but Heartland just decided not to use them and just mount the flex guards directly to the frame..