Roof Preventative Maint. Question

We purchased a 2011 Big Country 3250TS in Dec. 2010. We are still out on the shakedown trip and ALL has gone well. When we get home I will be doing some minor "honey-do" things to it. Also I will wash and then wax the fiberglass hull with carnuba wax. I want to treat/seal the rubber roof with whatever the factory recommends. If it should be cleaned prior to sealing, please let me know how to do that as well.
I'm a stickler for good P.M. to protect my investment.
Please advise me as to what roof products to use and how frequently.
Thank you,
Mike and Janine Deckmn

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Re: ATF: Big Country - Roof Preventative Maint.

Most manufacturers of EPDM rubber roofs say there is no need to use "sealers" on the roof. Recommendations are to simply clean it with Dawn dish soap a couple times a year or as needed.

Regarding the exterior. You might like using Rejex on the front cap. It makes removing bugs very easy compared to a wax product. Personally, I would not wax the graphics although many people do. I usually coat graphics with Aerospace 303 hoping it will ward off any future cracking and peeling etc.

Congratulations on the Big Country! We certainly enjoy ours!

Best Wishes!

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors

The best I can digest from many postings I have read on this subject is..... Wash roof with "Dawn" 2 to 3 times per year and rinse thouroughly. No need for sealers or any other type of treatments.
Being on the roof can be challenging to some people and it is very slippery when washing, ( a good pair of deck shoes helps) so be very careful. Doing this 3 times per year also allows you to inspect everything up there (tighten screws on a/c cover, etc.) and a good visual inspection of the roof also. I use a soft deck brush and liberally apply the dawn and water and let it soak about 5 minutes before agitating with brush and then rinse very, very thouroughly. Then finish of the outside of the trailer with over spray and leftover solution. Have Fun!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

I have read several threads about using carnuba wax on the fiberglass...they say dont. The next time I wax the Horn I will use the Rejex. I do use "303" on the grapics. Use dawn as suggested to wash your roof...I would not put anything on it to seal it. They are slippery enough without anything else on the roof membrain. JMHO