Air Bag Helper springs

IXOYE

I just don't know, so I thought I would ask. How do I know if I need them? Do they work? Are they more difficult to install than it is implied? Looks fairely simple. Do you recomend a spacific brand.:confused:
Thanks
Bob

jnbhobe

I go mostly by how the truck sits with the trailer hooked up. If there is rear end sag I like them for leveling the rig out. When that is done I think it does help with the ride. I have a new truck coming and have firestone ride-rites ordered, I had airlift on the 06 truck and took them off and will sell them at the rally.

Rrloren

I put the Firestone ride-rites on mine and it eliminated the "chucking" I was experiencing , it also eliminated the 2" plus sag I was getting when hooked up. I found them easy to install on my garage floor with no drilling required or even removing tires. I run 25 lbs. in them and it levels my rig right out.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I put firestone ride rite on mine and they made big difference. Install was strait forward but mine did require drilling. Well worth the cost for me.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I installed the firestone bags last spring in less than 2 hrs with no drilling. very simple and straight forward. worth every penny. not only took most of the chucking out but gave an overall much more stable ride. wouldn't be without them. If you look online you can find better prices than retail, bought mine from Tweety's.
Good Luck

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I've tried 3 differiant load leveling systems the Roadmaster Active, Timbrens, and Firestone Ride-Rites. The Firestone air bags worked out the best by a large margin.

szewczyk_john

I'm waiting to pick up my new road warrior this Thursday to see how low my Dodge sags. I have done my research and will get the Pac Brake air bags should I decide that they are needed.

porthole

Retired
Had the AirLift bags in the 2500 GMC. Happy with the result and used them just to make the truck and trailer level.

I am really hoping that the new truck will not need them, but I see a lot of folks adding them to DRW's on some other forums.

Should I need them though I kept the wireless controller which is really slick.

ncc1701e

While the truck only sagged about a 1/2" the first time I dropped the trailer on the 5th wheel hitch, I added a set of Airlift 5000 bags to my 2011 F250. I use just enough air to put the trailer and truck back to level, usually 25# or less. I just think it makes the truck set much better in the road. Haven't had this truck a long time and may have really needed them, but I've not been sorry for the addition. The only issue was they were an absolute pain to install on this truck. The airbags were bolt on with no drilling, but the 2011 F250 had several lines that had to be moved slightly on the driver's side of the truck.

IXOYE

After listening to everyone I am fairely convinced I will order the Firstone "Ride Rite". Looks like the 3250 has been built and is waiting for invoicing and shipping. Once I place it on my F-250 and see how it sets up I will make the order. The 3250 spec. weight is 1300# more than the Coachman I have. I gather from many that the hitch weight will be a lot more than the specs after I load it up. I will get it to a scale near by and check the weight out. We are planning a trip to DC (love their bike trails)or to M.Beach in April, that should be a good shake down trip. Thanks for all the help.
Blessings!
Bob

Pizzaguy

I also highly recommend installing the on board compressor for the air bags. It is nice to adjust the ride for rougher roads. 5-10 psi can make a big difference in the ride.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
IXOYE, here are some real world weights that might help you make a decision for your truck.

Notice the pin weight is over 2800 lbs

Truck-09 2500HD CC SB w/ D/A 6780
Trailer only .........................12,320
Gross weight .......................19,100

Truck and trailer axle breakdown
Truck front axle....... 4180
Truck rear axle........ 5460
Trailer front axle ......4620
Trailer rear axle .......4840

Pin weight ..............2860
Trailer axle combined 9460
Click this thread for a little more info
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11719-3250-weights

Hope this helps.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have had Firestone Ride Rites on my last 3 trucks. They give you a lot more control of your load. I highly recommend them.

6.7powerstroke

Where have you guys bought your air bag kits? Have you found a kit that includes the compressor? Curious what people have paid for the kit.

porthole

Retired
The attached comparison is from Air Lift, so I don't know if it is slanted, but good info to research. Less air for equal lift.

When I got mine for the GMC the best price was from Kennedydiesel.com

For those with 2011 Fords - the DEF tank on the left adds to the installation woes - but it is still doable.

I would recommend an on board compressor. Having the ability means you tend to adjust it when it needs to be instead of when it is convenient.

If it is in your budget, Air Lift or Firestone I would get the wireless controller by AirLift.

Amazon is a good place to price compare, and if you are an Amazon Prime member you get 2 day free shipping.

Attachments

• air_bag_VS_FIRESTONE.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 30

lwmcguir

We have used Air Lift also and it came with Firestone Air Bags. Worked fine and was still working when we sold the truck.

6.7powerstroke

The attached comparison is from Air Lift, so I don't know if it is slanted, but good info to research. Less air for equal lift.

When I got mine for the GMC the best price was from Kennedydiesel.com

For those with 2011 Fords - the DEF tank on the left adds to the installation woes - but it is still doable.

I would recommend an on board compressor. Having the ability means you tend to adjust it when it needs to be instead of when it is convenient.

If it is in your budget, Air Lift or Firestone I would get the wireless controller by AirLift.

Amazon is a good place to price compare, and if you are an Amazon Prime member you get 2 day free shipping.

Great info, thanks. Where did you mount your compressor? Did you put the controller in that useless little cubby in the dash below the 4x4 switch? It seems that there are several different set-ups. Basic compressors, split side inflation, etc. What do I really need? Thanks again.

lwmcguir

I mounted the compressor in between the frame on the Driver side. I like to have the air pressure the same on both bags for safety. On the CP we do run more air on the Driver side due to the heavier weight of the Augusta due to the slides.

porthole

Retired
On my GMC I put the under the backseat. With the wireless controller you can hang that just about anywhere. It comes with a sun visor clip.
No bags in the Ford yet, and I'm hoping I don't need them.