wet bolt kits and upgrading the axle

szewczyk_john

I got the libbert special pricing list that is available to national rally participants. I've heard of and understand the benefits of the wet bolt kit and will probably purchase this at the special price. I have not even picked up my unit yet (doing that Thursday), so the question is do I need to worry about this with a new unit or should I install the welt bolt kit asap as a preventative item. The second question is what to you get with the axel upgrade kit? I have not heard of this and was wondering if it is worth it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: wet bolt kits and upgrading the axel

John, the wet bolt kit includes the new wet bolts and bronze bushings. It is the plastic or nylon OEM bushings that wear out fast. If you are going to be at the rally and can get them installed, I would do it.
As far as the axle upgrade, if you have 5k axles and want better peace of mind with a 6k, you will get a heavier axle tube and springs. If you have 6k and want to go to 7k, same thing. If however you have 7k axles and want to go to the 8k you will get heavier tubes, springs and larger self adjusting brakes.
Only you can decide if it is worth it.
Myself, I am thinking about going to the 8k just for the brakes. But I am also considering installing disc brakes. Have to think on that a while.
See you in Goshen.
On edit, I forgot to mention that with the kit you also get new shackles.
Peace
Dave

Last edited:

hillsonwheels

I'm considering buying the wet bolts also. Curious as to how many out there in Heartland land have installed them under the "shade tree" and what the difficulty rating is. And, are any specialty tools required.

ultrafarmer

I have not done it but if I were going too I would do it myself. Not much can't handle, farmed for years.....I would think that after it is jacked up all there is too it is make sure the bolt is loose that is the up or down is just right and take it out and get the old bushing. Press the new one in, install the new bolt and torque it and should be it. I might put some never seize on the bushing.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dick, I know that Katkens installed his own. I bought a set at the last Goshen rally to install myself but never got around to it. The set is still laying on the floor in my garage. For $50 and the $50 install fee I wound up having a set put on when I got the Level Up. I watched them do it and it didn't take long nor did it look very difficult.
Kenny will most likely reply to this post on the difficulty rating.

Peace
Dave

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I installed mine , it was not extremely difficult , just need mainly basic hand tools. I have Mor Ryde suspension on mine and is a little different , than the Trailair . I had a little learning curve on the first leaf on reinstalling , it was much easier to line up , depending on which end I hung back first. Just make sure one has sockets ,wrenches , pry bar and a BFH. I have a impact that made things easier and will need a jack to raise axle up and down to align things.

If I could find someone do mine now for 50 bucks I would gladly pay them to do it though. The bolt ,install fee Lippert has offered at the rally is a great deal. The wet bolts are alot better than than the stock bushings but they will last a pretty good while and no great hurry needed to install them on a new rig.

If you install them yourself make sure you install them with the zerks facing away from the tire or you will have to remove tire to get to some. I also changed some of my zerks to angled ones to make them easier to to get to. I would suggest trying to grease bolts before install, I found about half of the zerks wouldn't take grease , must have been made in China.......Kenny

hillsonwheels

Thanks for input. Suspect I'd better try to set up install. It's way better than trying to find a "roundtoit" for installing on one's own hook. :)