Bed

bomert

I've been looking at tts for a while now and I really like the MPG 181 as a first tt. My question is about the size of the bed, I'm 6'1 and with the bed only 74" long, it doesn't leave much room for stretching out. Is that a problem or just something you learn to live with in a tt?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
bomert, Welcome to the Heartland Forum. I'm pretty sure a 74" bed length is pretty much the standard RV bed length in most RVs. That is at least until you get into the larger RVs with separate bedrooms. Even then, some are limited to 74". But don't let that set you back any. If there is room at the foot of the bed and it doesn't interfere with anything, the mattress can be replaced with a longer mattress. You may have to so some modification to support the longer mattress but in many cases, it can be done.

kb0zke

If there is room at the foot of the bed and it doesn't interfere with anything, the mattress can be replaced with a longer mattress. You may have to so some modification to support the longer mattress but in many cases, it can be done.

There is NO room to have a longer mattress in a 181. That said, I'll let my wife tell you about how the length is, since she is right at 6' and I'm quite a bit shorter. From my viewpoint, you may or may not be comfortable in a trailer this small. Unfortunately, the mpg line is so new that there aren't many used ones available, so if you can't rent one for a weekend you may end up buying one just to try it out. The good news, though, is that there seems to be a demand for these little trailers, so if you do buy one and find out that it is too small you ought to be able to recover a good portion of your initial investment when you trade for a larger rig.

We just got our 181 in December, and have spent only a few nights in it, so we're still getting used to it. You will definitely want to put a memory foam topper on the mattress, though. The first night in the trailer was a bit "rough" since we were just in sleeping bags on the mattress. As soon as we got it home we put a topper on the mattress. The second night (with the topper) was much more comfortable!

I am Kb0zke's wife. Yes, I am just under 6' tall. As long as I keep my head close to the top at the head end I can stretch out, but if I scoot down during the night I do run into the wall at the foot end. But as my husband said, there is no way to add to the length since it is the whole width of the trailer. I can get used to it for a few nights. I wouldn't want to live that way full-time.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
After looking at Heartlands website and the 181 floor plan, I see what you mean. Quite a while ago, my wife & I had a small 16ft Dutchmen with a 3/4 bed in the rear corner. I used to sleep on that and Lin slept on the folded down dinette. At least I was able to sleep on an angle. I guess that's one of the problems faced with having to do with the smaller lightweights.

bomert

I want to thank ya'll for your opinions. I am now going to start looking for one with a walk around queen bed, at least then my feet can hang off the end. I am going to keep reading the forum, there are alot of good ideas here. Thanks again, Bob

We have a 2010 SUndance 287RL. We replaced the queen bed which was very thin and not comfortable. The new one is 60 wide and 78 long. They cut it down from 80 to 78 for us and it fits great. It's sure comfortable. We just went out for three nights and slept so much better. The thin one made us roll toward the middle. It was awful even with foam pad, etc on top.

Im 6"3 and unfortunetly the only down side for me with our MPG is the bed length. My wife and I slept together the first night but that was all that I could manage. Now we have to use the two beds. Me in one and her in the other.
Not the best option but its only when its sleep time anyways. Always time to cuddle before hand.Hahahaha