Got shot down by dealer

timbuktu

I contacted a certain dealer a few days ago to inquire about pricing out a new Cyclone 3950 HD with all the options. I also asked the salesperson if they could see if they could add a few extras such as: install tank, pipe, and elbow heaters (I gave them the brand and web link for the product), add some black diamond plate around the gen compartment, install SeeLevel tank indicators, get me a TS3 hitch, see if solar prep was available to add, add Carefree slideout awnings, and add a second awning over the second entry door.

Much to my surprise, instead of getting a phone call saying they could/couldn't do x,y, and z additions, I got an email that said this:

"It was nice talking to you yesterday. After getting the factory and the owner of the dealership involved today in your quote, we have decided that we want to pass on this opportunity to order a coach for you. We have been in business since 1945, and we have a lot of experience that tells us sometimes such a "custom" build may not go as smoothly as planned, and as a result, he is going to pass. He wishes you the best in your search, and hopes that everything turns out and you get exactly what you were searching for in the end. Sorry for the inconvenience."

I understand their reluctance to made any mods/additions, but instead of simply saying they couldn't do them and still try to make the sale, I totally got shot down. When I talked to the salesperson, I thought I made it clear that I was only interested if they could do these additions and not that it was a deal breaker. Just doesn't seem like they really wanted to make a sale. I guess some dealerships aren't hurting that bad in sales.

Guess I'm going to go back to RVWS, who was more than happy to do the additions (except the black diamond plate).

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Sounds like they don't have faith in their service department to do the work. I can't imagine someone not wanting an order like that, the custom additions are just another avenue to make additional profits. Crazy! Business must be very, very good, or they don't have qualified support staff to make it happen.

Riverman

Sounds to me like you found a dealer with very deep pockets.
Find yourself a new vendor that will make this happen - your requested upgrades do not sound very unrealistic to me.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Sounds like they don't have faith in their service department to do the work. I can't imagine someone not wanting an order like that, the custom additions are just another avenue to make additional profits. Crazy! Business must be very, very good, or they don't have qualified support staff to make it happen.

Thats kind of what I was thinking reading the dealer's reply, then I read your post...you hit the nail on the head.

Northern Virginia
Wow, I agree. That is amazing. For some reason, it kind of makes me mad too. That they would rather just tell you to take a hike than work with you is crazy.

John

ChopperBill

If they wont engage in customer service before the sale consider your self lucky as they probably wont engage in customer service after the sale.

Wharton

I would run really fast from that dealer. Your list is all gravy for them. I agree, their service dept. must not be very good................You ere lucky to find out before it was too late............

skyguy

Well, here is one reply from the other side of the fence. I am not in the RV business, but I have owned a small computer business in Colorado Springs for over 30 years. Anytime I have had to deal with a new vendor, more often than not, I wind up losing money. Right now I have a laptop computer sitting in the shop because we are trying to replace the motherboard, and the replacement didn't work. We're now in our second week of trying to get an answer from the vendor.

Yes, I did practice diligence in selecting the vendor, but again, it was a new vendor for me.

If everything goes OK, the dealer could probably make money. Not having familiarity with the product/vendor could lead to all sorts of problems. He may have to learn the proper way to install the product, buy new tools to install the product, there are all kinds of variables.

Maybe these aren't all the proper defenses, but I would rather have a customer happy with the product I deliver, rather than risk disappointing a new customer because I couldn't perform up to his expectations.

I'm sorry, but in this instance I side with the dealer.

Al Schlafli

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Maybe you should tell who the dealer is so others don't make a mistake..

That is probably best done with a PM...I know the OP was kind enough to share that information with me.

I can say that I was shocked to hear the dealer in question as I have had nothing but a great experience with them from the purchase through Customer Service issues.

gpshemi

That is probably best done with a PM...I know the OP was kind enough to share that information with me.

I disagree. This is a forum and problems with dealers should be share publicly.

A dealership with a poor service department is short lived IMO.

A sales manager once told me that he tells his service staff that "I'll sell customers the first one, but you'll be selling all the rest". That's true too. Have a bad taste for the service department and you never really want to go back.

ultrafarmer

A sales manager once told me that he tells his service staff that "I'll sell customers the first one, but you'll be selling all the rest". That's true too. Have a bad taste for the service department and you never really want to go back.
That is so true because it happened to me............

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders

Sorry I blew up! I was just seeing one side of the story.

porthole

Retired
Don't see how you can compare a lap top to an RV.

All of the items except for the diamond plate are standard RV items. Been there and done that with a motherboard for a toshiba years ago. Just not in the box of tricks.

timbuktu

skyguy, I understand your point. What frustrates me is if the dealer was uncomfortable with installing my requested products bc they were from vendors they don't normally deal with, they should simply communicate that with me and offer to sell the coach without doing the extra installs. Instead, they opted to simply tell me "sorry we won't sell you a trailer, good luck." I would understand their response if I had told them it was a deal breaker, but I simply asked if they could do it.

For those requesting to know the dealer's name, PM me and I will reply with the info.

jbeletti

This dealer chose to take a pass on doing some accessories and a small amount of custom work. That's their prerogative. This sits differently with each of us. Some understanding why a business person may make a decision like this, others feeling this is the biggest crock since I don't know what and others may have no opinion either way.

For the assumption made by some that the dealer's service department may be less than desirable (my paraphrasing), this may be ill-founded. Uninterested or incapable to do what was desired - apparently - and honest to boot!

The OP is disappointed - and rightfully so. But to show empathy for him, we need not hang this dealer out to dry. Let's try to consider that this dealer was not interested in dis-appointing a new customer by failing to meet their expectations fully.

Our ability to debate this matter here is a luxury we've been afforded by this forum. But I'd prefer us not to use this debate to single out and assail this dealer.

The OP can share this dealer name with you privately if he chooses and if you must know. But let's not toss the name out here to place a target on his back. They've done nothing wrong or illegal. Dealers, while businesses that are independent of Heartland RVs, the manufacturer - are our partners that we must depend upon to bring our products to market. Consider giving this one the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks,

Jim

skyguy

My reply wasn't meant to stir up the pot so to speak. I apologize for that.

Timbuktu - I agree, his answer would have shocked me, and he probably would lose me as a customer for ANYTHING.

There is also the (remote?) possibility that as the season begins to ramp up, he would prefer to sell stock and not custom solutions. Maybe they just don't have the time, NOW, but he could have at least explained that. My singular hope in regards to my Bighorn is that I never have a disabling problem between April and August! It may take forever to repair! (knock on wood)

And I appreciate Jim B stepping in reminding us to keep civil and avoid name calling! Thanks Jim.

Al S.

caissiel

I build lovely well build Gazebos in the summer when I am at home.
When a customer calls me foir a price on a certain type of unit that I don't feel comfortable to build and would give me a different reputation, I nicely tell them that I don't like to build a unit that is off quality to what I build.
I do good work but will never under cut and do something I don't like.

Same here, the dealer might have good quality work and not feel he can warranty a unit with all that additional work, while he can sell 50 with factory warranty coverage.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I agree that this forum affords us the "luxury" of debating the op's statement and as some one pointed out we do not know the dealers side of what transpired. However, there are several things that really scream here and at least raises some very good questions.

Without trying to fry anybody or any dealership here is what what struck me as I read the post.

1) The response from the dealership was through email. Was this prearranged? It doesn't appear so as the op was apparently expecting a phone call based on his statement. Emails, although they have become a common way to do business, is still looked upon as an "out' to when bad news is to be delivered. A more professional way to handle this would have been with a phone call.
The email does make one very clear staement though-we are not interested in any further discussion. I do believe the dealer got his point across if this is in fact the case.

2)The op was under the belief that he had made it clear that he was only inquiring about the changes/addons and that they were not a 'deal breaker' You have to ask why the dealer chose not to pursue a sale without the changes. I don't think we will ever know and it probably isn't our business except that that decision could have a possible impact on future business.

3)The salesperson said they did call the factory and the owner of the dealership. If the factory or the owner knew of a reason why some of these changes/addons should not be done, they would have done a huge service to the op by passing on the new found information.

4)"We have been in business since 1945, and we have a lot of experience that tells us sometimes such a "custom" build may not go as smoothly as planned, and as a result, he is going to pass" Obviously this is a very successful dealership if it has been around since 1945. The business ownership has probably been passed down to the next generation or sold during this time. Either way, they are doing something right to stay in business 65 years and surviving the dozen or so recessions we have had since then.
Reading further into this statement, I noticed that who ever wrote this statement-assuming the salesperson-has now shifted the 'blame" or decision away from him or herself and onto the owner of the dealership thus distancing themselves from the decision. They did this by starting out this sentence with the word "we" and ending up using the word "he" when talking about passing on the order. I really do believe the salesperson was dissapointed by this decision.

The last part of the statement I can definitely identify with. The experience that the dealer has had in the past on "custom" builds not going smoothly has led him to make the decision not to pursue this order. The key to doing one-off builds on anything-whether it is an RV, a house, a computer or car/truck-is good communication with the customer, the factory, the service dept. and the salesperson. If you are not used to providing an avenue of communication or if the dealership's business is more volume based than service based, then the dealer probably did the right thing by turning down this order.

These were the 4 things that I got from reading the op's post and why I drew the conclusiuon I did. Maybe stating it as having no faith in the service dept was a bit strong.
If that is the case, I aplogize for the original poor choice of words.

Last edited: