4G Speed Tests

jbeletti

Okay - I'll start this one out.

• Date: 7-Mar-2011
  • Service: Verizon
  • Modem: Pantech UML290
  • Modem Firmware: L0290VWAB43F.214 1 [Nov 23 2010 20:51:56]
  • Signal Level: 2 of 4 bars / 40% / -63 dBm
  • Other: Modem connected to Cradlepoint CBA250 Network Adapter (firmware: 1.8.1, 2011/03/02) then to Apple Extreme router then WiFi to Mac Laptop
Speed test site used: www.speedtest.net

• Ping: 140 ms
    [*]Download: 9.50 Mb/s
    [*]Upload: 1.03 Mb/s

Attachments

• Google ChromeScreenSnapz060.jpg
    Google ChromeScreenSnapz060.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 51

porthole

Retired
Is that from a 4G area or 3G area? The ping time is excellent but the down/up speeds are way low for a 4G connection. You should be seeing 5-12 down and 2-5 up with a decent 4G connection.

I was just playing around after seeing Jim's post. That is a Verizon MiFi

3Gstore

I was just playing around after seeing Jim's post. That is a Verizon MiFi

I kind of figured it was a 3G card but the ping time had me thrown slightly. That's actually an amazing ping time you have for a 3G connection! I ran some tests last night and was averaging right around 1Mbps down and 500Kbps up, which was a little slow but I was testing at prime time.

For those of you lucky enough to be in 4G or even 3G, if you could run a test within our SpeedWave that would be great - http://evdoinfo.com/wave

We've already gotten over 100 test results from people all over the U.S and it's really interesting to see the results and averages!

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Here ya go, Some numbers from my slow 768k Star DSL through a ZHONE ADSL2+ modem, a Belkin Play N600 wireless router and a Dell wireless 1505 draft 802.11n WLAN mini-card Rev 2.0 at my house that Y'all can compare your air cards too.

My ping is very good but the upload speed is hurting. Wonder if my daughter doing some online gaming right now is hurting me a bit.

1197052755.png

1197056409.png

1197057887.png

1197059454.png

1197060565.png

1197061623.png

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I used some other speed test sites in the past and thought I was doing pretty good. Guess they are not all created equal. Actually kinda funny.
This is my 3G air card, not 4G. Just wanted to show comparison.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Capture.PNG2.jpg
    Capture.PNG2.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 21

3Gstore

Are you looking for for strictly 4G tests, no matter the area or any wireless test?
"Wired" tests?

We're looking for 3G & 4G tests from all the carriers. If you click on the link you'll see a series of chooses - Just choose your particular provider and run the wave for either 3G or 4G, here are the links:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The local TV station KPRC Channel 2 in Houston did a story on the 10 o'clock news last night about 4G, 3G etc and what is the difference etc. I learned that 3G, 4G means 3rd generation, 4th generation and that it is all good but doesn't mean anything if the area you are in does not support it. They also said 5G is not very far down the road and that for most users it is just another sales tool to get you to buy a newer product, parting with you money. They did say that 5G will be so fast that it can be used to run your computer or be a stand alone computer. For more info you can check it out on www.click2houston.com

mmomega

AnyTimer
Just noticed this thread and decided to bring it back from the dead to see if people are getting any quicker speeds.

Here is what I just got on the Verizon MiFi, not full signal 4G.
Screen Shot 2011-10-28 at 1.59.32 AM.jpg

I just threw the house WiFi in to compare speeds. Charter cable internet over a 5th gen Apple Airport Extreme Router.
Screen Shot 2011-10-28 at 2.00.57 AM.jpg
Upload speed was quicker over 4G, lol.

I missed getting the screenshot from my iPhone 4S but it pulled 6.93 on 3 bars of 3G, ATT.

porthole

Retired
Home

1560082580.jpg

Verizon Android
ping 121
download .73 mb/s
upload .87 mb/s

And my phone won't let run it from the browser, keeps jumping to the market for an app.
Really dislike the android and the 4s is supposed to be shipped 11/11/11

jbeletti

Just noticed this thread and decided to bring it back from the dead to see if people are getting any quicker speeds.

Here is what I just got on the Verizon MiFi, not full signal 4G.
View attachment 16597

I just threw the house WiFi in to compare speeds. Charter cable internet over a 5th gen Apple Airport Extreme Router.
View attachment 16598
Upload speed was quicker over 4G, lol.

I missed getting the screenshot from my iPhone 4S but it pulled 6.93 on 3 bars of 3G, ATT.

OMG! These speeds are amazing. Charter is my cable operator here in Crossville and I plan to get cable modem service whenever they build their network down my street. For now, it's a 4G LTE MiFi for me. Just got it yesterday. It replaces my USB 4G LTE modem that just was not that great (after 3 of them). Verizon was able to do an equipment swap for me (modem for modem). Getting less than 1Mbps down, here in Crossville with 4 bars. But - no LTE here in town just yet. Also, just today, on my iPhone 4S, I went ahead and added HotSpot service with Verizon on it. I get another 2 GB or $20/mo in addition to the 2 GB I was getting with my other data package. I can now get online with the laptop using the iPhone and connect via USB, WiFi, Bluetooth. Tried all 3 and did speed tests on each. The order listed is the fastest to slowest.

porthole

Retired
So overall, using the USB, is net surfing with the 4s OK? What are you using for tethering? The Verizon package adds $$$ to the monthly bill. For a short while I tried a tethering app with the droid. The droid is already slow and tethering was unbearable.

Just ordered a 4s, was told I am keeping my unlimited plan. Looked into upgrading the MiFi and was told I would lose the unlimited with an equipment change.

jbeletti

Duane,

Yes, tether with the iPhone is viable. Tethering at USB, I merely use any iPhone USB cable. Works fine.

I have a 10 GB plan on the MiFi (it's the same plan rolled over from the USB modem). Today, I hit 90% - so 9 GB and I need to stretch to midnight on 11/7 :(

So, when I am nearly at 10 GB, I'll turn the MiFi off until the 8th and use the iPhone as a HotSpot via WiFi or USB.

Jim

porthole

Retired
There is no 4g around me, so I'll keep my grandfathered plan for as long as I can.
Faster speeds and you'll tend to do stuff you wouldn't at the slower speeds, hence more data usage.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Well we just went on a last minute mini vacation to Charleston, SC to see some family, long story short I tried my speed test here. By the way there is an app for speedtest for the iPhone, I'm sure the droids have it as well.

My ATT 3G test, didn't surprise me, this is approx what I normally get on the phone.
CHS3G.jpg

Now the MiFi on the other hand...connected at 4G made me LOL for real. Check the differences in download (which is normally faster) and upload.
CHS4G.jpg

Ha, Porthole. That was the first thing I thought when I got home with the MiFi and did a speedtest the first time and it hit 22Mb/s. I turned it off right away and said 5GB is going to fly by. I try to stay just on forum sites when we're on the road or read so that I don't chance going over. Yet after thinking about it I am paying $50 / 5GB and if I go over it's $10 / 1GB. So the exact same price.... I just don't want to have a $100 MiFi bill one month.:D

On another note, my stepson still has a jailbroken iPhone 4 so he has "free" tethering and when we drive from DFW to Monroe, Louisiana he USB tethers to his laptop and plays World of Warcraft (huge online game) in the truck the entire way and says he doesn't notice much lag at all.

I'm always hit or miss with cell coverage, if I have great ATT then Verizon sucks and vice versa.