single pivot vs dual pivot hitch.

Tweedy

I've been pulling a 2005 Cardinal 5'r with a single pivot hitch. I've never had any serious problems but once in a while I've noticed where the king pin assembly on the trailer has grazed the hitch brackets where the pivot is cradled to the point that the pivot cradel was bent. I had it straightened and welded. This would have had to occur when jack-knifing into a tight spot and the truck would have been on a different plane than the trailer. We've just purchased a new Big Country 3250TS. I'm considering replacing the single pivot hitch with a dual. Will this help? One other consideration - I have rails on the truck box that are about 4 inches higher than the top of the box. Will the rails interfere with the side to side pivot feature? I would be pleased to hear from anyone with similar experience.

Chuck.

hoefler

A double pivot hitch is a good idea for several reasons, when the truck tilts one way and the trailer is on a different plane, something has to give. Whether it is your hitch or your pin box, something is going to twist, fatigue, or break. The heavier a trailer is, the more important it is to have the double pivot. Just going down a city street you can see how much the truck and trailer move in opposite directions.