Elkridge vs Bighorn biggest differences

delperj

Since Elkridge is less expensive I'm wondering where the money is saved in the construction when compared to a Bighorn
I have been looking at a bighorn for a while but saw an elkridge and since it is lighter I am hoping I could get less truck to tow it (avoid a dually).

jimtoo

Hi delperj,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure someone will jump in here and maybe give some ideas.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
delperj,

I can't say what the structural differences are, but I can tell you some of the differences I've seen since owning the Elk Ridge and walking through the Big Horns at the RV show, plus comparing the features lists online:

BIG HORN HAS:

bigger freshwater tank
hydralic vs electric jacks
more residential lighting fixtures
more residential plumbing fixtures
more residential shower enclosure
More cabinetry in the bedroom, kitchen and bath
storage drawers in the steps
larger fridge
3 zone speakers vs 2 zone
heavier suspension
winterization valves in UDC
day/night shades (vs night shades only)
fancier slide out facias
larger storage basement with rubber floor (instead of carpet-like material)
heavier-duty power cable
molded rear cap
hydralic slides

I really don't regret not having any of the Big Horn features, but to each his own. We are not full-timing, we just have long-weekend and week-long trips when we can get away from our 2 full-time jobs. ;-D

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
And the King bed is standard in most models.

Oh Yes! I don't think a King bed is an option in the Elk Ridge. Now that I do wish I had. :p

As far as getting less truck, I would suggest that you get a truck big enough to pull the Big Horn anyway. You may want to upgrade trailers before you upgrade trucks again.

Crumgater

One big thing I noticed was the R-value for insulation - higher on the Big Country and Big Horn, probably better if you're full timing.
We're weekend warriors ourselves, and are really happy with our Elk Ridge.