New Dometic Refrigerator

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
In the latest issue of Trailer Life magazine, there is a picture of a new Dometic fridge that has just become available. It is a side-by-side unit with water and ice available on the door, so you don't have to open the freezer door as often and keeping the cold inside where it belongs. I am wondering if this will be available on the Landmark or Bighorn lines. IMHO it should at least be an option.

J

Jeff

Dometic Side Wise Fridge!

Hi JayC:

I just got an Email back from Dometic and here is their response!

Jeffrey

The SideWise is a 14 cubic foot unit.
It does not currently have water and ice thru the door but the word around here in the next year we will have one with that.
If we can be of assistance please call of email. 800-544-4881
Have a great day
Customer Support Center
Dometic Corporation

I mentioned this to Scott on our visit to the Factory. He was excited to hear that Dometic is going to be offering this unit soon. It will most likely be an Option on the Heartland Line, not sure on the Big Horns.

Also, being that it is a 14 Cu.Ft. unit, the dimensions will be slightly bigger than the current 12 Cu. Ft. unit that Heartland currently offers.

Take Care.

Jeff

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Truck and Harley.jpg
    Truck and Harley.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Truck 1.jpg
    Truck 1.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 1

jayc

Jeff,

Thanks for the response. I am interested in increasing my refrigerator and especially the freezer space, in what will be my last trailer that we will live in full time.

J

Jeff

I'll be watching close!

Hi Jayc:

I'll be watching this item close too.

Brenda and Me are planning on ordering a new Mt. Rushmore early in 2006. Hopefully, Dometic will have this unit available and Heartland will be able to install it for me. Not sure on the dimensions of this unit vs. the 12 Cu. Ft., but it can't be that much bigger.

Ice and Water in the door!!! What a great concept in a 5th Wheel!

Take Care.

Jeff

jayc

Below you will find a quote of a response that Scott made to my question of the possibility of customizing a trailer with an instant-on hot water heater, a full trailer water filter and either installing for me, or allowing me to install my own refrigerator.

I hate to do this to you, but I am going to have to give you the big "maybe" when it comes to giving you a definitive answer as to what we will be able to do on our production line. I will have to speak to my partner John who is the engineer about the water heater and the water filter. If they will fit in the areas already provided, I would say the possibilities are greater. As for the refer, the only thing I would say is that we could possibly leave the space there for you by taking the cabinetry out and let you install your own refer. It should fit through our larger entry door, but we would need more details.

Scott

mobilrvn

Scott, How about using regular residental refridgerators instead of expensive, heavy RV refers? Know that they are available in Alpenlites. A couple of years ago in Mexico, our 8 cuft RV refer. died and we replaced it with a 10 cuft residental refer and still had room to spare. Used the inverter while boondocking. Appliances are spendy in Mexico, but it still cost under $400.00.

Mobilrvn, I have a question? You said you use your inverter when boondocking... Does that mean its works on a 12 Volt System Also, and what about LPG is that an option? or is it just 120 volts.
Thanks Sonny

Jayco and Scott
I have been using an external inline water filter on my Bighorn and I’m sure it OK! But if I understand if room permits you are planning on adding an internal water filtration system, great idea!!!
I have been traveling since the first of Jan 06 and the water in all the resorts we have stayed is terrible, it's so hard it’s starting to irritate my skin!
I was talking to one of my neighbors yesterday about his system and about installing some kind of water softener (he had motor home). He said he had one installed in Yuma, Az. He said there is a dealer who specialized on RV water softeners.
Scott, I was wondering is this in you're plans or is that an option for the future?
I realize space is usually the biggest concern, what are your comments or thoughts on the subject.
Thanks Sonny

I have some question about our Dometic 12 Cu. Ft. unit. After about 6 weeks use on our trip the temperature stated to get warmer and warmer! then food started to spoil. I was just north of Palm Springs, Cal, and I contacted a RV maintenance outlet they told me they couldn’t look at it that day it was a Saturday. They suggested that I go out and tap the coil in the rear of unit they said there are three different types of fluids in it and they need to mix and if the trailer isn’t moving the fluid wont bled. I have had to do that twice so far.
Does any one have any other suggestion or know of something else I should look at or try to correct this on the refer unit?
Thanks Sonny

BigBlue

BigBlue
We have the 12 cu. ft. unit in our Landmark and haven't had any problems with it. Are you making sure that you are level when you set up? Check your refrigerator after setup with a level on one of the shelves. My understanding that is the biggest problem with these refrigerators. They want to be pretty level.

Cooper

I have an 2006 Gloden Gate my refrigerator stoped working I checked all fuses. The lights or still on and the units plugged in but it does not even cool at all and its set on 5 thats the cooledest. I guess its time to take it to the dealer. I hate to haul it 30 miles and leave it for a week.

jpmorgan37

The lights or still on and the units plugged in but it does not even cool at all and its set on 5 thats the cooledest.

I'll ask a couple of dumb questions. Is the check light on? Did you check both the refrigerator and heater fuses? Have you tried it on Propane to see if it cools and is the trailer level? If yes to all of these, call Dometic-their 800 number is in the owners manual. They were extremely helpful to me in the past. Maybe they can tell you something that will save you the trip and the wait. JMHO

John

Last edited: