Converter type?

jdfishing

Does anyone know, or can advise where I might find, what type of converter I have in my 2007 3055 RL Bighorn? I was talking to a friend with an SOB, and he has a 3 stage converter, so the batteries charge rapidly when down, but don't overcharge. I seem to recall some discussion about the Bighorns only providing a trickle charge, but couldn't locate any speecific info.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless there was a manual in your original owner's packet, you'll have to look behind the basement wall to find it and be sure which one you have. I thought that HL was using only Progressive Dynamics converters, but that's not entirely accurate. The manual, along with an explanation of the charging modes in it, can be found on their website. Open the tab for RV Products and then go to converters.

http://www.progressivedyn.com/rv_products.html

jdfishing

Thanks. That gives me a place to start. I've never been back behind that panel, so nows a good time to take a look.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Mine has Progressive Dynamics written on the panel over the circuit breakers just inside the door to the RV.

JohnDar

Thanks. That gives me a place to start. I've never been back behind that panel, so nows a good time to take a look.

Beware Ye Who Venture into the Basement of Doom. It ain't pretty back there.

View attachment 12308

You'll be looking for a device that looks like this

View attachment 12309

It's probably buried under wires and plumbing at the back of the basement. Mine was until I relocated it forward and out of harms way of any plumbing leaks. The black box you see in the photo is my surge suppressor before I moved it a second time to get it out of harms way, as well. Both units are now mounted on the side of the wood framing for the bedroom steps you see in the left of the photo.

JohnDar

John, they aint like they used to be. They listened.

Peace
Dave

I'll have to beg a peek behind the walls of a newer rig at the rally. I could swear when I first opened mine up I heard someone say "Ungawa, shut the door Cheetah."

JohnDar

They may be all Progressive Dynamic's. But I thought there was a thread some time ago where someone did not have the PD unit, but another brand. Mighta been the brain cells I drowned in alcohol one night talking.

jdfishing

Thanks for the warnings on the basement. I'll take your advise and move it, if necessary. We're heading home tomorrow and as soon as the weather clears I'll pull the panel and hope. The breaker box is a Progressive Dynamics so I'll bet the converter is also. I'm most interested in the model # now. Thanks again everyone.

JohnDar

Since you're spec'd to have a 60A converter, I would bet that it's the Progressive Dynamic PD9260C, which is the same as the one in my rig.

Reason I moved mine was that it sat right under the commode. up against the "bulkhead". In my rig, the anti-siphon valve is hidden in the wall behind the commode. Those valves have been documented to leak. That would have rained directly onto my converter. Stuck back there, it also made it impossible to check the fuses, since the unit was mounted with the fuses towards the rear of the trailer. Moving it did not require adding any additional wiring, although I did disconnect the 12V leads so I could untangle them from the jungle. The fuses and cooling fan are now unobstructed.