Toyhauler loading large motorcycle

cb1313

I just purchased a Road Warrior 385 , I have a Yamaha Venture motorcycle that I was unable to get into my older top hauler.
I want to know how you folks are getting large motorcycle into your units ? I have been riding for 40 years but I am not sure if I can drive into the garage and stop before I hit the sliding glass doors ....????
Thank you for ANY information.

Cb

ultrafarmer

I built a front wheel holder and screwed it to the floor. I don't have much trouble getting it in there. Once the back wheel slid some so built a little one for it too. I have a Cyclone trailer..

robnmo

We had the same worry at first with the Cyclone, our 1st ride in I had it unhooked from the truck, raised the front landing jacks all the way up, that decreases the ramp grade at the back, just take your time, it's alot easier than you think.

porthole

Retired
Practice with a dry ramp
Realize that when you get the front wheel on the ramp and the rear tire still on the ground, you most likely will not be able to touch the ground. That is a little un-nerving first couple of times.

**Just don't stop at that threshold

I would suggest you have a chock to drive into. The horsepower - throttle you will be using getting in means you will be driving in hot and stopping quick.
Unless you can load it on an incline (ramp on on the uphill side of an incline)

**Don't touch the front brake backing out of the trailer

For backing out put the bike in first gear, then use only the clutch to stop forward or rearward rolling (bike not running)

Last edited:

Niles

When we had our toyhauler, I had the problem of the bike bottoming out when I got up the ramp at the hinged part of the door. So I agree that lifting the front of the camper with the legs is a huge help. Also dry ramp and dry tires, moisture on either is no fun. Practice will make it easier each trip up. We have a friend that has a ramp on the back of his that looks like he's shooting for the moon when he goes up it. Every time he loads we expect to see him come out the nose of the trailer. It has the look of a Evil Knevil ride.

porthole

Retired
Some type of incline will help for practicing.

And those with the shorter 5th wheel, 3210, 3010 305 have a shorter ramp (7' vs 8'). So that makes it even steeper.

Attachments

• Driveway_down.jpg
    Driveway_down.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 81

dbhutchins

There's no doubt that loading a big/heavy bike is a bit of a challenge. But it's certainly do-able, and a little practice makes perfect. I'm carrying an 850lb BMW with a very high CG (K1200LT) and have a 3210 (short ramp) so I have probably as much of a challenge as any.

I've gotta say that Duane (porthole) is EXACTLY on the money. His three tips are what I've found to be the keys. But I use one more little trick. When unloading, I stop the bike BEFORE the rear wheel leaves the ramp (i.e. while I can still put my feet on the ramp to steady the bike. Then I have my wife grab the tailbag rack, and on a "count of three" pull me down and off the ramp. This minimizes the time I'm hanging my feet in mid-air and backing down (probably the spot where a drop is most likely), and she's in position to help keep the bike vertical during that transition.

I'd also point out that you should be controlling speed going INTO the garage with the clutch, not lugging the engine, and covering the brake all the way in. Keep revs up, and slip 'er on in. Just like a tight U-turn. Takes a bit of practice, but is certainly not too hard.

So: Practice, then practice again, till you're comfortable with the process. You don't want to learn how in a bad campground with loose gravel and a downslope behind the rig.

Hope it goes well

Don Hutchins

mountain1

As you all know I am no do it yourselfer, but could you not have something on the outside of the ramp that keeps the ramp off the ground somewhat and on the inside of the ramp add a folding extension so the angle going up would not be so drastic and the ramp would be longer and less steep? Just a thought.

porthole

Retired
Other then having something else to load unload setup etc, no, no reason you couldn't.
Something I did do to ours for the less then ideal times (wet/raining or bike not running) was to add a winch up in the front left corner.
It is a cheap winch and not really up to the task, but it works and I will be replacing it with a better unit.

It will pull the 800 pound golf cart up, slowly but still pull.
it will not pull the 800 pound motorcycle up with me sitting on it.

Ha! You toyhaulers have it easy. Anyone roll their bike up onto the back of the truck bed like me? Feet off the ground when taking it up and bringing it down is SOP. I front brake both ways.