Steps and Dog Toes

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I am the wife of Codycarver and he is embarrassed by my question. We have a large (100 lbs) yellow lab. Last year he got one of his toenails caught in the holes in the steps. Needless to say, it was traumatic - for him and me!! This year, he is very scared of going in or out of the trailer. Just wondering the best way to cover the steps but still allow for fold up and drainage. Your ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Tucker in hay.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Amy, the wife of Codycarver, good question. There are step cover carpets that are sold in RV stores and I think even WalMart sells them. They come in two sizes and for you rig you will want the wider ones. Several of us here on the forum bought an outdoor door mat that is made of the same material and all we needed to do is add grommets. These were around a buck each.
I also think you have a four stepper. On my four step the bottom step would not fold in with the carpet on it, so I attach it with Ty Straps and just cut them off so I can remove the carpet when we move.
The wide carpets should prevent toe nail injuries.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We bought carpet runner in black from the local home D. The basic stuff is about $1 a foot and it comes in 27" width. Cut pieces to fit around the front & back edges of the each step, put a couple grommets in the edges and some long wire ties can be used to secure to the step.

GOTTOYS

Maggie our Labraweiler Retreator, had a hard time with our steps. She had surgery on one of her rear knees and couldn't manage the steps very well. I made a ramp out of two 1X6s with a strip of carpet runner down the top. I can fold it in half using the carpet as a hinge. We set it on the second step and she can run up and down without a problem....Don

Niles

We also have one of those 100 lb labs, Tucker, he did the same thing with his toenails. We got the carpet covers that have velcro on them and just zip them on and off, it seems to work really well. Now we have another problem though, Tucker is going blind and stairs are a big problem for him, no matter what. We may have to go with a ramp system of some sort. Goog luck with Codycarver.

porthole

Retired
Ouch. We haven't had that problem yet - but it is something I will look at now.
Last year in Hatteras one of our Golden's ripped a toenail out on "punched steel" walkway. Was on a kids playground. The dogs were running up the the equipment and sliding down the slide. The punched steel was the walkway between stations.

That was traumatic too - especially since the one thing iI forgot to pact was the first aid kit.

FLOYD PHILBROOK

Nevada Chapter Leader
We also have two big labs. I got some thing called safety walk from home depot. It is the same that is already on the steps. You clean step and put this tape on and it works real fine. Floyd

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Our toy poodle didn't like the solid steps with the non-slid pads so we got the carpet step covers that attach by the spring hooks. Now he's a happy camper.

Dianna

Our 8 lb Shih Tzu, Callie, also caught her nail in one of the holes on our RV. She was afraid to go up or down the steps. We purchased IKEA 15" X 22" laytex backed floor mats for $1.29 a piece. Put grommets in and use small bungie straps to hold them on. A friend of ours enlightened us about these. They are in the flooring/carpet section @ IKEA. They may not last a long time, but the price is right and Callie is now a "happy camper" and goes up & down the steps with no fear at all. :D

jpdoggett

We had that problem with our first dog, I got some non slip sand covered strips over the holes, our new Landmark I bought the step carpets to cover the steps works great

ParkIt

Unfortunately you all just gave me a very good way for keeping the dogs out...2 always stinky black labs will not "live" in the 5er with us. We do keep a 20 second fold up crate just in case but outside they will be sleeping under the cap in a dual crate. They don't like being inside as it is, always raised them to be outdoor dogs ;)

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
Our toy poodle didn't like the solid steps with the non-slid pads so we got the carpet step covers that attach by the spring hooks. Now he's a happy camper.

We did the same thing with our steps. It's great for the dog and OBTW I don't slide off the step anymore either!!!LOL. One of the best things we ever did.

jpdoggett

We also have two big labs. I got some thing called safety walk from home depot. It is the same that is already on the steps. You clean step and put this tape on and it works real fine. Floyd

We had that problem with our Mini Schnauzer female we had she almost removed a toe nail so I put the safty step tape on my steps but we have carpet on our new one had the dealer put in on before got it