I think the Hunter Thermo 42995B has me baffled

ChopperBill

:confused: Did a few projects to day and started in on the thermostat. Took the old one off noting the wiring. Looked at the directions and they mention 4 and 5 wire installs. Well what do you know I got 6 wires. Thought I had it figured out and turn the power back on. Nothing! Did it a second and third way that I thought they meant for me to do with 6 wires. Nada! Getting pooped so I put on my old thermostat. ZIP! I wont work! Well the reason I THINK I am baffled is because I blew the breaker in the house where I was plugged into and didnt realize it! I had somehow pulled up the central vac outlet and I it wont run both a/c and vac on 20 amps.
OK so you kind folks that have installed yours. What the heck is the skinny on the wiring diagram so I don't have to "guess" again? I know I ain't going to have the hi-low fan but what do I do with those wires? So do I follow the 4 or 5 wire schematic?

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Hank, I do not get anything but "Sorry, the page you requested was not found. " when I tried your link a couple of times.

C

Chulinw

Chopperbill,
Go to RV.NET and type Hunter Ther and you will get all kinds of instruction on how to install. Lots info about how to install a switch to get the fan on high also.

ChopperBill

Read so much I am getting a migraine! So if all I want to use is the high fan and not put in the toggle switch I just hook up the blue wire to the ground terminal. Man I have never seen a bunch of color switching in a schematic in my life!
OK this is how I get it for OUR applications. With no toggle switch for fan,

Ground goes to RC
Fan(hi or low? Tan or blue depending choice fan speed) goes to G (I will use hi)
Cool goes to Y
Ground goes to RH (I suppose with a jumper that goes to RC?)
Furnace goes to W
Red not used.

Who ever figured this thing out has to be a genius or stoned! (guessing stoned!)

ChopperBill

Ok got it installed! Works great! I finally found the answer in a RV.net search, is was about the same as you guys sent me but the fan thing got me spooked.
Here is what I did and I have NO switch (everyone was putting in a toggle switch for two speed fan) for low speed fan for the a/c. Dont know why I would ever use it anyway. Low speed fans tend to freeze up the AC faster.

You leave the jumper wire on the Thermostat as it is.

Ground (green) to RC and RH terminals threw the jumper wire.
Fan AND Hi speed fan (Tan AND blue) to the G terminal
a/c(cool) (yellow) to the Y terminal
Heat (white) to the W terminal
Red wire is not used and taped off.

Man it seems all screwy, hooking ground wire to hot terminals and taping off hot wires, but it works!

Uncle Rog

Thank you Mr Chopper..........

After longer than I will admit to, I read your info and now I am all Huntered up...thanks.....

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I'm wondering if I'm missing something or not. Any thermostat I've seen says low voltage at 24V but we only run 12V, am I correct? When I talked to RiteTemp they said most of their's are low voltage and would work. Can you guys clarify this for me.../Doug

ChopperBill

The Hunter is a 24v and it works. To wire it up is so screwy that I have no idea if there is even any power going to it or what goes to where. It works, I'm happy :)

tdharley

There is no connection for a high fan. BUT if you do a search there is a small switch you can install to switch between hi & low.

ChopperBill

Fan AND Hi speed fan (Tan AND blue) to the G terminal
My HI fan only works with it hooked up like this. No switch is needed.

tdharley

The stat I wired might be different than yours Bill, but if you want to use the high speed & low speed you need to install a switch.

Here is a link that descibes the process using a Radio Shack switch.

You can run with the fan on hi or low only but without the switch you will not have the choice.

http://rverscorner.com/articles/hunterstat.htm

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
tdharley said:
The stat I wired might be different than yours Bill, but if you want to use the high speed & low speed you need to install a switch.

Here is a link that descibes the process using a Radio Shack switch.

You can run with the fan on hi or low only but without the switch you will not have the choice.

http://rverscorner.com/articles/hunterstat.htm
I went to my old trailers forum and checked out what they were doing on this thermo. They are using this set up and been doing so for quite a few years. Thanks , good info. Ken

ChopperBill

randes said:
Chopper, are you saying a thermostat that is meant to operate on 24vac works on 12vdc?
Yep mine does just fine (so does everyone else's is seems) and the one I have in the TC does too, its another brand but I cant remember it.
harley: I have no need for low fan. It only works on the a/c. Most a/c freeze ups can be attributed to low fan and the temp turn down. The new central air I installed in my house last year has a $100 thermostat has no low fan. Most all directions I found on the net show how to hook up the low speed fan through a toggle switch. My directions a few posts up show how to install it with just the Hi fan.

tdharley

If I remember correctly I hooked mine up to the high fan also on my Raptor and it workked fine.

The only time you would need the low fan I would think is when you are in between needing the AC and high fan on those "medium" summer nights.

I guess we should probably let the HVAC people over at Coleman, Dometic & carrier know that we dont "need stinking low speed" (insert a Pacino voice of your choice there).