5th Wheel RV Brakes Dragging

jimtoo

Re: brakes

Hi chy-46

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I would think the only way the brakes will drag when your unplugged from your tow vehicle is because the emergency disconnect is pulled (the small cable going to a little box on side of pin box) or the brakes are adjusted to tight.

Let us know what you find.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

rustyshakelford

they could be tightened to much on the drum or a shoe may have slipped. If you disconnect all power to the brakes, including the break away box, than it is mechanical. Are all the wheels draging or just one? Are you feeling it or hearing it?

brett

hoefler

Describe "dragging", please. Are you raising a wheel off the ground and when you rotate it, it seems to rotate freely and you hear something scraping inside?? If so, most likely the magnet is rubbing the inside face of the drum. Perfectly normal.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

When I first got my BH the Truck brake box could not hold the rig back with the lever locked. It would on my SOB. I went back to the dealer and they adjusted them. It then would hold the rig back and stop adequetly. Now after driving 125 miles to the CG, several people including the DW said they could hear a "scrapping" or "rubbing" sound from at least one wheel. Plus it seems there is excess brake dust on several wheels. I am guessing they are now too tight. Now I have to take it back to the dealer ,as I have no way to jack up the trailer.

Last edited:

chy46

Thanks for the replys guys . I.ve just checked the wheels when they are off the ground, they move with a little scrapping ( magnet ) but when I have gone a few miles and have used them I can feel and hear a screak , very loud , plus when I BACK UP I can some times stop it . would the magnets be doing this ?

hoefler

Entirely possible. The magnets do need to be very close to the drum and can be heard scraping. If you are in doubt, find someone with experience to help you, or take it to a service shop for a determination.