Roof top satellite antenna

Sailor

I am thinking about getting the WINEGARD Minimax Automatic Stationary Satellite TV Antenna to mount on top of the Grand Canyon. I think that it is the same as the carry out unit but, has brackets for the roof mount.
Model Number:RT8000S

Has anyone done this?

They say that the Grand Canyon is prewired for a satellite will it work with the Winegard anteenna.

The wiring is behind one of the speakers in the celling in the bedrood. Do you just drill a hole for the cables right up from the speaker, and mount the the antenna there. Or do you need to mount the antenna some other place.

If mounting the antenna some othe place on the roof what is the best way to run and mount the cables to the roof?

Any other hints on how to do this would be great.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Re: Roof top satellite antrnna

We've had one on our past fifth wheel and it really was a great dish, only problem was when we camped anywhere with trees. No signals. Again it was very simple, just turn on the DirecTV box and TV and just a couple minutes and it would find the sat no probs. Our last dealer also mounted and ran the wiring (4yrs ago) and botched the job so much the new dealer said it would almost destroy the roof to remove it so I have no experience installing.
My new one is a VuCube 2000, mounts on the ladder and is still auto finding.

hoefler

I have a roof mount Wineguard on our Mt Rushmore. Like said above, if you are in a place with trees, you are stuck if one blocks it. I also have the carry out version. If I where to do it all over again, I would skip the roof mount and just use the carry out.

caissiel

I have the carry out unit installed on the pin box and tranferable on the rear. It can also be installed off the trailer at clear site locastion. These units will all change in the near future so would not get a roof one for now untill the change

Sailor

Caissiel , When you they will change in the future. Do you have any idea of what they changes will be?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Mark, I just ordered the Winegard portable unit. I don't thing I would install a roof mount again. The biggest issue is trees as stated above. Winegard also makes a ladder mount bracket to mount the "dome" on. BTW, I bought mine from"solid signal" and it was $250.00 cheaper than CW with free shipping. Best price I could find any where. The bracket was still $250.00........so im going to make my own. I might even make a bracket from an old dish house mount so I can mount it on the pinbox just in case. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=06&p=OBO-GM-1518&d=OPEN-BOX-ITEM--Winegard-GM1518-Carryout-Automatic-Portable-Satellite-Dish-Antenna-(GM1518)&c=RV%20Satellite%20Dishes&sku=

caissiel

Its closer to a few years. The HD channels take a lot of signal width and a larger satelite dish will be required as soon as they change to the Internet format dish setup. It will be a 29" or larger dish required at the time.

Sailor

Thank for all of the imput! I think I am going to give the ladder mount a try. It give me the advanatage of a roof mount with out any new holes in the roof, and a carry out with the quick disconnect for the antenna if I need a carry out.

mmomega

AnyTimer

Good idea Mark on the ladder mount. We jut got back from a trip this weekend and my buddy has the Wineguard roof mount and ****ed if he didn't get the only spot in the park with branches hanging directly above his trailer. The trailer would've been sitting with its nose in the road to get a signal so we just ran a 100' coax from our our VuCube to his trailer, since the dish has dual hookups. He got to watch the race after all, hehe.