Big Flooring Problems

manderson

Bought a 2009 Bighorn 3600RE last fall for the 2011 camping season. The trailer will get parked in a riverside seasonal campground for the family to enjoy. Still excited about the purchase and the upcoming camping season, the first warm day, I stepped into the Bighorn to have a look around. My eyes focused and were wide open and mouth dropped at what I saw. The lino had, what I call busted, away from the edge of the carpet and the break extended into the middle of the entrance. What a sight! I have been camping in trailers since I was in real cloth diapers, so you all how long that is and have never seen such a sight. My feet are still six inches off the ground and I can be seen melting ice on my head trying to stop the steam from coming out my ears, if you know what I mean. Ripping the lino out won't be difficult, as the center of the lino is not glued to the floor, just the edges. Not sure who to talk to about the quality or workmanship or design of how the floor is installed.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
manderson, your's is the first I've heard of any Heartland RV's having this occur. From what I've heard, this happens over the winter with expansion and contraction of the vinyl flooring. But again, this is the first time I've heard this for a Bighorn or any Heartland for that matter.
If it were me, I would remove the vinyl flooring and replace it with laminate flooring in whatever style or design you prefer. I have replaced our flooring with laminate, not due to cracking but from repairing a squeaky floor. It's not a terribly difficult job and can be done in a day if you have a little help.

GOTTOYS

Very,very common problem with all trailers in cold climates. I've had it happen to 3 of them over the years. When the trailer is built the flooring is loose laid and the walls, cabinets etc are installed over it. When it gets cold the flooring shrinks at a different rate than the subfloor. This causes it to stretch. It will then develop a buckle in it when it warms up or crack. My last one, SOB, had both. Cut the flooring out around the perimeter and replace it. The self sticking tiles don't work because the adhesive lets go when it gets cold, I don't know if a glue down vinyl will work or not. I've always used a wood tile or laminate floor that can expand and contract with the temp change. The flooring in the newest Heartlands isn't supposed to do this. Mine held up good over the last Winter. This is usually only a problem in extreme cold areas. I read of one dealer in Canada that had this happen to around 100 trailers on his lot...Good luck..Don