Which Air Compressor???

rjr6150

As many of you know someone decided to hit our BH and stole many of the items in our basement. Including our Sears air compressor. Checking Sears yesterday not showing the same model available. Wonder what you're using? We have the Goodyear G614 so need something that will run up to min of 110 psi. Have even looked at the 12 volt unit Camping World sells looks a little pricey to me but may consider depending on comments.

aquiring signal

I have a Power Tank (www.powertank.com). It's like a little scuba tank of compressed gas (usually CO2, but I think they have nitrogen options, too) to top off tires, run air tools, etc. It handles the 110psi tire with no problem and is amazingly fast, too.

You can get it refilled at any welding supply store, or places that fill fire extiguishers, or places that service carbonated beverage equipment. We fill ours a couple times a year for about $12

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have been looking for a new compressor lately and one that has my interest is a Viair. The one I like has a two gallon tank and a working pressure of 165 psi to 200 psi. Plenty of pressure for inflation or air tools.
Cost on ebay is $259. HERE it is.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

aquiring signal

I got this one from Sears
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10...ir+compressors&prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=L6
I don't know if it'll go to 110psi, as our tires only take 80psi, and it does fine. I adapted it to take the quick connect connectors, and it works fine for my purposes. Haven't tried any air tools with it yet, but will as soon as I can find a "round tuit".

I would not buy a compressor that you don't KNOW will do the 110psi. I've tried some that CLAIMED they would (their max pressure was stated to be above the 110psi), but after a half hour the tires were still not up to pressure.

I researched what it would take to put on-board air on my truck including Viair 12 volt compressors & adequate storage tanks, fittings, & hoses, etc. and after doing the math, the Power Tank was the right answer as well as much faster than any compressor.

If you have to buy a compressor, I suggest you get one that you have tried or that someone for sure has been able to fill their 110psi tires in a reasonable amount of time.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The Viair 400P is able to top off my tires to 110 psi without difficulty. For my use, I don't see a need to have an onboard air storage tank. For the rare occasions that I would run pneumatic tools or blow out the plumbing, I bring my 3-gallon air nailer compressor from home.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
I got a Husky from Home Depot, twin stacked tanks 8 gal. max psi of 150, it does everything that I need and will fit in the front compartment of the Sundance.

porthole

Retired
I keep this one in the basement:
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-...RO1Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300070551&sr=8-1

150 PSI and oil free, so it is safe to use to blow out the water lines

I also mounted one of these reels in the front compartment next to the generator.

http://www.amazon.com/Amflo-510HR-Retractable-Hose-8-Inch/dp/B00005RJB2

I picked up my compressor at Menards while in Elkhart picking up the trialer.
The reel I got at Home Depot.
Both items were less then the Amazon prices, just used amazon for convenience.

aatauses

I was also concerned aboput getting the compressor to do 110#. I found someone in the campgraound that had a husy from home depo. I tried it out and it worked just fine for my tires (110#). I purchased one for myself from home depo and have been very happy wih it.
If I was to buy another I may??? consider a dewalt--can search on line---they are a little lighter than my husky---but again I would not buy intil you are sure it will do the job
al

navyAZ1

Can't remember who told me about the web site where I got my Porter-Cable compressor but if you do a search you may find it. It was a site that sells factory refurbished tools, I got mine for $115. This compressor is a 6 gal tank (pancake type) 150 psi, at 2.6 cfm. It air up our tires great but our tires only go to 80 psi.

Ron

rjr6150

Thanks all have the Porter-Cable on order. and as of this afternoon the BH is setup with an alarm system which is monitored 24/7

rjr6150

John
Using wireless receivers and a cellular transmitter. When in the locked steel building the RV system protects it and then when parked beside the house our home system connects to these sensors and alerts if any problems. The one thing you need is 110V to run it and our storage building has it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John
Using wireless receivers and a cellular transmitter. When in the locked steel building the RV system protects it and then when parked beside the house our home system connects to these sensors and alerts if any problems. The one thing you need is 110V to run it and our storage building has it.

Thanks, but I guess the key is having the 110V supply. Unfortunately for me, when mine's in storage (outdoors), it's not available. I'm one of those poor wretches that bought a house in a subdivision long before buying a monster 5th wheel and can't even get it in the driveway (woe is me :() . We've had the house on a monitored system since we bought it in 1994, though.

Elevatorman

I carry this one; (http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...-gallon-115-psi-pancake-compressor-95499.html), as well as a 12V 150psi. Only problem is that Honda 2000W gen. wont start it if I don't have the 120v power. Time to get the second generator! I seem to depend mostly on the 12v. One thing you have to look at is what pressure the compressor re-starts at. This one doesn't re-start until the pressure gets down to 85lbs. I've found I have to bleed it down and get it running to reach the 110lbs. for the tires. I'm looking seriously at that on board compressor to put in the truck. Might be the way to go with some long hoses, and leave the pancake at the house to run the air tools, which it has done very well.