Covered or Uncovered?

Hogladyrider

When your RV is not in use, do you park it under cover or out in the open Florida sun?

We park our 5th wheel in our back yard and it is open to the Florida elements and the sun can be brutal.

We are "thinking" about a temporary pole barn type structure to protect the roof from the hot summers. We have a yard full of pine trees and despite cleaning our RV regularly, the roof has some discoloration on it that someone I know "thinks" it should remain pristine.:angel:

We don't want to go the RV port route as that would be considered a permanent structure according to our little town zoning and just too many political headaches.

Wondering what other Floridians do to protect their RV.

Thanks in advance.
Susan

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I wish we had an area and the extra cash to build a covered shelter but that won't happen. We get little sun during the year but rain 360 days it seems. By spring our rigs are pretty green with moss and mold. I keep it very clean and also treat everything with Aerospace 303 which should help you with the UV issue until your shelter is finished. Our rig looks new but I do work at it!

Best Wishes!

porthole

Retired
I think you answered your own question - build the pole barn.

Would love to have the room to do that. While your at put a concrete pad down and run conduit for water and power

POCOHORSE

Troy & Tracy Chaddon
We store our North Trail in a storage lot but we did buy and ADCO cover for it. It has many straps and fits very nicely. We uncovered it after about 3 months and the trailer was still very clean and the cover was still in place despite our Oklahoma winds. If you can't afford a permanent structure, ADCO covers are a great investment.

Jimmy

We have a 20 X 52 pole barn and it is 16 feet high, had it built just for the R.V. love it. It blocks the sun and we can leave the roof vents, windows, and awning open when we need to. Also has water and electric.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not that much of an issue with 5vrs but do measure for the cover. The factory measurement adds the tounge on and you don't need the cover to cover the tounge. Youget q better fit that way. I made that mistake once. Got one winter with it and it was shredded.

MICKEY

Past Florida Chapter Leader
I built a pole barn again 16 ft so I could walk hunched over on roof to make any repairs or inspect while coach inside. I haven't covered sides to any extent yet, and should to help but didn't want any more wind resistance. I sank new phone poles 4 ft into sand and wanted to put concrete floor in before I put sides on. Probably will only partially cover sides just to keep sun off, I like ventilation to help with heat here. I have lot of overhang on roof so sun only gets on sides from about 10 am and then again 3pm but never on roof. Every time I think about covering sides I look at a nice arbor I built a few years ago, that has a permanent lean due to one of the hurricanes that came through.

floridarandy

Tough question. We keep ours under a large oak in our side yard. No way to do a pole barn and not sure how we'd get it past zoning even if we could. Our goal is to keep the Sundance camping as often as possible and simply get up there every weekend or two to blow/wash the top as needed.

I'm frankly more concerned about the inside's from heat and humidity. Until I get the dehumidifier thing figured out I'm simply going to leave the A/C on set to 80 or 85. Fortunately we have a hookup on the side of the house.

Next step is a full body wax job to help keep the dirt from sticking.

A thought to consider....no one will ever see your top except you and the good Lord looking down from above...and I know he probably doesn't care :).

hillsonwheels

Right on Randy! But those gray spots are rather annoying when one is on the roof. Are you sure "HE" doesn't do roof top inspections? :rolleyes:

Dick

Hogladyrider

Thanks Randy...good info.

Oh and by the way, it was nice meeting you and the misses last weekend, as well as Dick and his wife (in the bbq buffet line), small world discovering we live so close to Dick & Reta.

We wash and wax our RV it becomes a weekend project for the two of us, physical labor for sure, not so bad in this weather, but brutal in the summer.

As for the heat and humidity inside, each time we return from camping I place two damp rid containers, one in the bath sink and one in the kitchen sink and I check them frequently. More frequent change outs are required during the summer months for sure. We camp at least two weekends a month April thru Dec so it is manageable.

We may not have to winterize but we have our own "issues" here in Florida.

Safe travels,
Susan