Washer/Dryer Combo Question

timbuktu

From what I've seen with the w/d combo in the closet in the 2011 3800, you have to crawl into the closet to access. My question is would it be possible to rotate the w/d in the closet so the opening is facing the rear, then neatly cut an access panel in the wood since the closet doors don't extend all the way to the starboard (passenger) side? This would alleviate the necessity to have to crawl through the closet to reach the w/d. In my current SOB 5er, the w/d hookups are in the exact same location as in the 3800 closet, but our w/d is facing the rear, but of course there is no obstruction to reach. Does that make sense? Any thoughts? I don't see why this wouldn't work, but maybe I'm overlooking something. Thanks!

timbuktu

Well, looks like a lot of people are viewing my question, but so far no one has rogered up. The question still stands. Any thoughts?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would think your question would best answered by the factory. There would be alot of verables to make that happen. Good luck.

neegirll

When we purchased our 3800 this year we discussed the same thing. I was assured that the panel next to the closet could be modified. We will be full timers in less than 3 years and will plan to do the modification then. This gives us time to decide if we really want to put it there... the other idea is to modify the garage and put it there...

timbuktu

I finally was able to find a new 3800 at a dealer and went to take some measurements. With the current configuration of storage just outside the closet, I don't see how it's possible to modify the panel that forces the w/d to face inboard. That panel is just not wide enough to cut a hole and allow the w/d door to open through. Short of removing all the storage compartments outside the closet and custom building something else, it appears I would be stuck with the current configuration. I asked Heartland about this and they replied with it shouldn't be a big deal if you're doing laundry every once in a while. I responded with for those who fulltime and do laundry daily its a huge inconvenience. Hopefully they will come up with a different design that's a little better for next year's line up. To neegirll, if and when y'all make the mod, please post pics. I would love to see how you do it!

Vtxkid

Interesting timbuktu, I have been looking at my 3010 and wondering if it would fit in my closet space with the access door to the rear now that you have brought this issue up... something for me to also look into...