Why the refrigerator hindge on the wrong side.

Hodge-M22

Hello All,

I have noticed that for some odd reason some M21’s have the refrigerator with the door hinge on the left so you have to go around the door to get to the counter, while sometimes they come with the more particle refrigerator setup of the door hinge on the right so that you have easy access from the refrigerator to the kitchen counter. Unfortunately the local dealer I'm working with has two models on the lot and they both have the hinge on the left edge, I have seen on the internet that there are models out there with the door hinge on the more appropriate right edge.

Why does that vary like that in the same model? Is it possible to get that swapped under warranty? :)

Regards,
Hodge-M21

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Take a good look at your door and the jamb. On some models you can reverse the swing of the door.
Let us know what you find out.

Peace
Dave

Hodge-M22

Hhello,

I don't believe that will be the case with this model the door release is built into the top edge if I remember correctly.

pegmikef

Yeah, my old M21 had the hinge on the right side, but I never noticed whether or not it was changeable. I had the Dometic three-way (120VAC/12VDC/Gas) refrigerator. I miss the 12V.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Are you sure it's not just installed upside down? or maybe it's the optional lefthanders model! :)

camr

Is it possible that there was a chance that the bathroom door would interfere with the fridge door when either one was open. Looking at the plans, if the bathroom door was closed and the right handed fridge door was open, then the bathroom door would possibly be blocked from opening. Our M-22 has a right hand hinge model fridge.

Hodge-M22

I have seen M21's with the frig having a right hand hinge, just not at my local dealer. To me it would be less of an inconvenience blocking the bathroom door, than it is to be dancing around to kitchen loading and unloading items from the frig. I can't think of a time we were trying to prepare a meal and use the bathroom at the same moment. But then timing is everything. :)

mikeyy53

Our Edge M21 had the hinge on the right side. Ours was one of the first 2010's produced. The factory was looking into making the fridge a left handed hinge. With the right handed hinge it does block the bathroom door and dents the fridge.

Hodge-M22

Interesting, so I can tell if I'm looking at a really new 2011 or not by where the hinge is. It's too bad about it getting dented by the bathroom door. Guess when I'm at the dealer I'll have to take a closer look at how comfortable it is working in the kitchen with a left hand hinge. n Thanks for the info.