Trailer Brakes- 3 3/4"

Wharton

We ordered our trailer with the large brakes. Does anyone know if they are self adjusting or not? We have been told different things by different people and would really like to know. We understand the 2" are not self-adjusting but the 3 3/4" are. Does anyone know this for a fact.

2011 Bighorn

ihsolutions

The 3 3/4" brakes on my 2011 Big Horn are not self adjusting.

They were also completely unadjusted from the factory. When I pulled out of the dealer lot I had ZERO brakes. This is how I know they are not self adjusting. The tech had to crawl under there and adjust them just like the smaller brakes.

traveler44

How do trailer brakes self adjust? I know on cars you used to back up and stop to get the lever to ratchet the adjuster. Just curious. Tom M.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Tom, from the pix I have seen...they look just the automotive type adjusters.....cable and all.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
The 3 3/4" brakes on my 2011 Big Horn are not self adjusting.

They were also completely unadjusted from the factory. When I pulled out of the dealer lot I had ZERO brakes. This is how I know they are not self adjusting. The tech had to crawl under there and adjust them just like the smaller brakes.

Just curious, when did you receive your unit? Also, did you special order bigger brakes? I am into overkill and was not told that was an option .
I got mine on 1/25/11 and I had ZERO brakes, as well. The dealer poo-poo'd it and wanted to let me drive off, but I insisted they adjust them. Now I think they are still out of whack,because they are making a noise when the brakes are not applied.
We must have had the same tech working on our units at the factory. LOL

Wharton

We ordered our's in Feb, 2010, pu was in April. I don't know the status of the brakes from the factory. The dealer may have adjusted them prior to our PDI.

There are a lot of "options" that aren't documented. WE just went in with our list and the dealer was able to either get the option from the factory or installed it himself(I think that was only the Fantastic Fan and cover in the bathroom, not even sure about that).

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The owners manual states that the brakes should be adjusted after the first 200 miles of operation. Your dealer should know this and should have adjusted them before you took delivery. Just a thought.

Peace
Dave

ihsolutions

The owners manual states that the brakes should be adjusted after the first 200 miles of operation. Your dealer should know this and should have adjusted them before you took delivery. Just a thought.

Peace
Dave

I agree, Dave. In this case, though, the dealer was located less than 10 miles from the factory. So there's really no excuse for either the dealer, or Heartland, not to have caught this.

You would think from a liability standpoint alone they would check these all very carefully?

ihsolutions

Just curious, when did you receive your unit? Also, did you special order bigger brakes? I am into overkill and was not told that was an option .
I got mine on 1/25/11 and I had ZERO brakes, as well. The dealer poo-poo'd it and wanted to let me drive off, but I insisted they adjust them. Now I think they are still out of whack,because they are making a noise when the brakes are not applied.
We must have had the same tech working on our units at the factory. LOL

I took delivery almost a year ago (3/29/10) and ordered the bigger brakes and 8k axles as an option package. You couldn't get the bigger brakes without getting the 8k axles also. This may have changed now that they are using Dexter axles, I don't know...

Wharton

Interesting. We got the bigger brakes(ordered in 2/2010) with the 7K axles...................................