Honest info wanted

Tom of Ypsi

New to this forum and I am interested in knowing more about the Landmark. I have contacted Heartland and they will have new brochures out in about 3 weeks and will be sending me one but until then I would like to hear from present owners of the good and bad of the Landmark no matter how big or small. My first impressions are these are very nice rigs but only the current owners know the real things about the models.
Are these truly full time 5th wheels?
What is the insulation like?
Pin weights? (Actual)
If I could I would change ??????
Anything else that comes to mind.

Thanks in advance
Tom & Judy Atkinson
2005 F-350. CC, LB, Dually, 6.0, tow haul tranny, Lariat and upgrade package.

J

Jeff

Heartland RV's

First off Tom, Welcome to the Forum!

As the owner of Heartland #35, I can only say great things about the Trailer.

I wouldn't go as far to say that it is strictly a Full Time 5th Wheel, but it certainly could be. I think I know of only one other person who has a heartland that is actually full timing in it. Seems I read that on RV Net someplace. I wish they would join the Forum, to give some feedback.

The Landmark is truely a remarkable piece of Engineering work. As the days go on, Jim Beletti and Myself will post some more photos of our factory tour last week. You really have to see the construction of the trailer to appreciate it.

The unit is insulated all around, top and bottom. Aluminum frame, studs are 16 inches on center. Where something has to be screwed or attached, Heartland has added wood inserts into the aluminum for better grip strength for the screws.

As for empty Pin weight, my Golden Gate weighs in at 2280. I'm pulling the unit with my 2004 Dodge Diesel RAM, Dually. On the trip over to Elkhart last week I got between 12.5 and 13 mpg. Pulling I would estimate around 14,000 lbs. of trailer.

To use your words, If I could I would change? Hmmm, not much! There are some mechanical items, like drawer slides, they are being replaced in the models coming off the line now. The need for a pre-drilled Dryer Vent hole is the one big thing. While we don't have a Washer/Dryer Combo yet, we will before our big trip to Wyoming next spring. The unit comes prepped for a Washer/Dryer, but only the plumbing and drain, no vent hole for the dryer. If you are considering ordering one. Have the factory cut that whole for you and then cap it off, if you're not getting a Washer/Dryer right away.

The unit is so well made, the insulation is excellent. And with (2) 40lb LP tanks, you can go for quite some time, without needing a refill.

What else can I tell you. I'm sure you have a ton of questions. Fire away, I'll try to answer them as best I can. If not, use the Ask The Factory section on this Forum. It is set up so Scott Tuttle at Heartland will get your question directly. He is extremely busy, so please be patient with him, if he doesn't get right back to you.

I see you definitely have the Tow vehicle for the Heartland, NICE, very NICE!

I don't think you'll find another 5th wheel of this High quality, with so many standard features. Most other 5th wheels in this class, will charge you alot extra for all the standard features you get from Heartland.

My Wife and I did alot of research before settling on Heartland and dollar for dollar, Heartland is simply the best!

I hope this answered some of your questions?

Feel free to write me directly or post more questions on the Forum.

Thanks for joining and I hope you'll be picking up a new Heartland 5th Wheel Soon.

Take Care.

Tom of Ypsi

Jeffrey, thank you for the reply. It was very helpful and exactly what I am looking for. Now if other owners or prospective owners who have seen the models would chime in I think you would have a good start to an interesting thread. If you or any one else has more info all would be appreciated.
Tom

Attachments

• 20131012_143439.jpg
    20131012_143439.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20131012_143414.jpg
    20131012_143414.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20131012_090842.jpg
    20131012_090842.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 8
J

Jeff

So when you gonna take a Heartland Home?

Hi Tom:

Just wondering when you're gonna get a Landmark?

Tom of Ypsi

Jeff, just came from looking at a Golden Gate ($57,900) and the Grand Canyon ($59,900). Both units were loaded with extras but still do not know when or if we will be purchasing one. I do have to let the wife look at one first :( I did not consult with her on my new truck :mad: and need I say more. Anyways I was very impressed with the fit and finish. The dealer (Jays RV in Tawas, Mi) says these are definitely full time 5th wheels.
Tom

J

Jeff

Pretty Good Pricing!

Hi Tom:

Well, I'm glad you're still looking and considering the Heartland. When you compare this unit with other manufacturers, you'll find most of the standard features on the Heartland are high priced options on the other models.

While my Wife and I didn't buy ours for Full Timing (yet) it's nice to know it can be used for that.

Just remember, when your wife gives you the OKEE DOKEE :) , make sure you have the factory or your dealer put in the dryer vent for the Washer/Dryer Combo, even if you don't get a Washer/Dryer right away.

So, till later. Keep looking at the Forum. New stuff is coming out in the near future. Heartland is definitely on the move!

Take Care.

Jeff

Attachments

• NJ Rally Collage.jpg
    NJ Rally Collage.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2994.jpg
    IMG_2994.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 40
J

Jeff

Jays RV?

Hi Tom:

Does Jays RV in Michigan have a website? I can't seem to find one doing a web search!

Thanks,

Jeff

Tom of Ypsi

Hi Jeff,
No they do not have a web site. They do have a Fax (989)362-6611 and phone 800-362-4075 and local 989 362-2910 or 989 362 4075. Ask for Jim Spriggs.
I will stay with this forum just to get more info or to pass on info as needed and maybe I will become an owner. The wife really likes the units but she has to see them first. Can't say I blame her.

Tom

Attachments

• New 5th Wheel 006.JPG
    New 5th Wheel 006.JPG
    723.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Lake Carl Blackwell, Home, soccergame 002.JPG
    Lake Carl Blackwell, Home, soccergame 002.JPG
    761.6 KB · Views: 5

Ramblu

Here is my two cents worth!

My wife and I started in January of this year looking to replace our Carriage
Cameo LXI with a unit that offered a floor plan that we thought would be more suited to our camping experience. We have been to several shows and several dealers looking at models and quality of detail. To sum all this up, there were a few that offered promise of that we desired, however; on close inspection these fell one by one short of our expectations.

I must digress here to say that I already own a diesel dually and have no desire to spend more bucks to own a larger truck just to tow 18 to 20,000 lbs safely. So that eliminates some of the models that will build what you want for a price. I also wanted the shortest camper possible and still have the inside features and room that we are used to in our current rig. With that said I have come to realize that around 35 feet is the best I can do for the fiver and still get what we want inside.

Around start of summer we had eliminated most models we viewed for various
reasons. Then I found out about Heartland and the Landmark model. I could
hardly believe their website as this seemed to be the unit that we had been
searching for at long last. After some phone calls, we found a dealer close
by and went to take a look. As luck would have it this dealer also sells
Carriage, so we could do some AB comparison with the current Cameo LXI
models. It was hard to remain calm as I looked at the unit, it was a very
early model and as such was still impressive. My wife was ready to buy on
the spot. I made several notes after we left the dealership while details were
still fresh. I tried to think of every question I could possibly ask and made
notes of these. Then I decided since this was a new company with fresh
ideas and considerable experience at the helm, a visit to the factory was
in order to view first hand how the Landmarks are assembled.

I visited the factory last month and met Scott, Tim, John and Doug.
They were very good to answer my dozens of questions during my tour.
I was impressed with the care they are taking to assemble these units
and how much they are stressing quality from start to finish. I would
encourage anyone that is interested to take the time and go to the
factory and see for yourself.

I can tell you that all of this has convienced me that a Landmark Golden
Gate is in our future. We have the good fortune to have two dealers
within a couple of hours drive east and west. So we will be looking soon
to try and make a deal and get our unit on order.

Another important thing to remember is that no matter what unit or rig
you are considering, is that it meet your needs and you are happy with it.

Now get out there and camp!

Ramblu

jbeletti

Ramblu,

Thanks for sharing your story on how you came to rest on the Heartland Landmark. Our story is similar. Looked at most brands/models of 5ers out there and it really helped us determine what we wanted in a unit.

Two brands in our price/amenities range stood out: Mobile Suites by Double Tree and Landmark by Heartland. Both are great units and both have pros and cons over each other.

We visited the Heartland factory and it really helped us settle on the Landmark line. Scott Tuttle spent a lot of time with us and did a great job pointing out the various processes used in various stages of construction/assembly. Especially areas that makes Heartland Landmarks stand out.

Since that visit, we've made a deal on a Heartland Landmark Mt. Rushmore (with island). We have a house to sell and a new townhome to close on but when that is all in-hand, we'll place our Heartland order and our RAM3500 order. Can't wait.

Best of luck to you and we look forward to becoming new Heartland Landmark owners with you!

Jim

ErikF

Travelby5
Looking for New Landmark

To current owners,

I just found this forum last night and registered.

My wife and I saw the Landmark line last year at the RV show and felt definely drawn to them, my wife went for the decor and I for the design and forethought of mechanical systems. See, that's what I do, ... can't shake it.

We're heading down to the Harrisburg show in two weeks with every intent to see if we can swing a deal on our next upgrade.

One of the things we've learned is that the Landmark is a great trailer, there's no denying that. Two, that everone SAYS it's a full timer type trailer; but what does the company's warrentee say about full timing use of the rig. Many of the T&Cs I've seen put time limits of use on the unit. We're looking at a short life on wheels while I investigate a job transfer, with a new rig I'd hate to void a warrentee right off. Could anyone read the T&Cs and let me know?

ErikF

BluegrassMan

Interested in a Landmark ?

I saw 2 or them (1 dealer ) on display last year. I was sure that is what I wanted. the dealer was 130 miles northwest of me. He was just checking to see if he wanted to be a Landmark dealer, and Heartland brought 2 from the factory.

I really liked what I saw and ordered an 05 in Jan. Even though they were 130 mi. away I ordered it. Since then the dealer has decided NOT to take the brand on. There is a dealer Jim's RV near the NY border, and Keystone RV in Greencastle Pa right on the PA/MD line along I 81 S.
They were very interested in that Franchise, they are about 8 mi. from me now.

I'll be at the RV Show on Sat. REMEMBER it is at Hershey Center this time !!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hey Erik
Well I am surprised that someone from Landmark has not jumped in on this one. I visited the factory in July and the VP, Scott Tuttle, was informed that I am full timing. He stated that the Landmark was designed for full timers in mind. I have been on the road with my Grand Canyon #29 since March of this year, have had some problems but everything was taken care of quickly. If you are looking for the best deal, go on the net and look up RV's for less, or call informatin and get the phone number. They are located in Knoxville Tn. but the trip may be worth your time and money, so give Butch a call. He is a Landmark and Bighorn dealer.

Scott

"Full Time" vs. Warranty

I'm pretty sure that I've addressed this one once before on this forum, but I will go over it again, as I know it is an important issue to many of you.
Heartland RV, as well as just about every other RV company (98% of them) on the market have details in our written warranties that relate to the fact that when all is said and done, by definition, this is a recreational vehicle and not a home. As such, there are limitations to it's performance under other than recreational uses. The statement that much of the industry uses is as follows: "...Units used as commercial, residential, or rental may void your warranty." It "MAY" void warranty. What does that mean to you?
I think an example would be someone who runs their air conditioning unit non-stop, every day and wears it out after six months or so. Most residential units are not made to run non-stop, let alone a RV A/C which is considerably smaller. Have I ever heard of that happening? No. But if it did, then the RV manufacturer, as well as the component manufacturer would have some recoarse against a claim from someone that was expecting more out of their product than it was designed to give.
As a quality RV manufacturer, we do our best to make these trailers as sturdy and well-insulated as possible to hold up to very undesireable weather conditions. We put in as much or more (most often) insulation than anyone, and we send heat from the furnace down into our sub-floor, as well as use the PlumPlex Uponor Lines with the 25 Year Warranty. All of this is done to keep your plumbing from freezing up. but if someone is going to be camping in the dead of winter in one of our coaches, they should still use common sense and put up a wind break around the lower portion of the their coach. I live in Indiana and my plumbing is under ground, but we still have issues with our pipes freezing up, let alone if they were closer to the howling winter winds.

I know there are a lot of "urban myths" out there that seeming disallow any warranty work for "full timers" - but the truth is, it is a stipulation that is in everyone's written warranty and is there to protect them from unreasonable expectations. I just don't know of a manufacturer who says in their warranty that there are NO LIMITATIONS on their Recreational Vehicles.

No one builds a perfect coach. The real proof is in the pudding and that is - how does the manufacturer react when there is an issue with their coach. I'm here to tell you that we fix them and get them back out on the road. That's not good enough for everybody, but for the vast majority, we have a great relationship and experience of doing just that here at Heartland.

ST

Princess Kathleen

A Future Owner

Hi,
My hubby and I toured the factory this summer...I was impressed with the brochures, but wowed by the factory tour. When I first walked into a Landmark (Grand Canyon) in Lafayette last spring, I knew that it will be the one :) ....I retire in March...and we plan to purchase the Grand Canyon in April or May....:D
Your wife will love the woodwork, the size of the bedroom, the storage area and all the girly stuff. My BH thought the UDC and the texas size storage area were awesome..
Princess Kathleen

madigand

I just looked at the Grand Canyon. Absolutely love it. The only problems I saw was no electric vent cover motor in the bathroom. I would think one could put in a fantastic fan in place of the cheapie fan that was there. Also the desk is solid underneath. Seems that there should be a space under the desk. I don't think that this would be an easy fix. Spent over 4 hours going through unit and checking out if it fits my need/wants. Other than that , really like the unit. Now just need to get the price right. We are selling our house next yaer (Jan 2006) and plan on full timing/work kamping then.

BluegrassMan

Bath room Fantastic fan ?

Hi Madigand:

If you order your Grand Canyon just have a Fantastic Fan installed in the Stool room. It was optional to have one in the Bedroom, I can't see why they couldn't put one in the potty. You got the $$$ they have the time. We love our G Canyon especially the Granite counters !!! It really looks upscale, when the overhead track lighting is on. You'll love one when you get it.

Stella

Rally Survivor
We purchased our Grand Canyon in May. I want to address the issue of the woodwork, while it looked like great quality we have had nothing but problems with the "quality woodwork". First issue would be the drawer glides snapping, supposedly at the end of the season all of our drawer glides will be replaced with new ball bearing glides no plastic. Second the sink front is very flimsy when we open and close the drawers the whole front moves, this has stripped out the latch twice already. Third The desk drawer that looks so solid shot across the room on our first trip, even though it was locked and nothing was in it. We haven't been able to get it the same since. Fourth, when opening the slide out one of the decorative pillasters shot off the wall - we were told the slideout needed to be adjusted, right. We've had a camper for 8 years and never "adjusted" the slideout.

Ok on to other thoughts. I agree there should be a place to put your legs at the desk. We use our laptop computer and it doesn't fit on the slideout tray but you still have to go into the cabinet below because there aren't any outlets on the top of the desk.

The subwoofer for the entertainment center is mounted behind the file drawer and the cabinet vibrates distorting the sound. We also use the receiver hooked up to a cd player with speakers to the outside. No way to turn off the subwoofer.

The pump switches are located all over the camper. Really a pain one switch would do since they have goofy switches in the lower compartment that have to be turned to use tanks, only solution is to pull the breaker so you aren't running the pump.

The tank level gauge is located in a closed door cabinet in the kitchen area. I think it would be better served if it was located in the toilet area were you can actually check the level when you are filling up the tank prior to dumping.

The black tank is located over the axles which is logical... however... the toilet is way to the front with many traps which plug up. Its odd but we've never needed a plunger in a camper, make sure you have one. When the toilet belches at you time to plunge.

The unit comes with one a/c, it NEEDS two. That remote thermostat is really a pain. You can't get the bedroom comfortable in hot weather without supercooling the rest of the unit, inadequate ductwork for a/c in bedroom.

One new issue that just popped up or shall I say in would be the tail lights. When we first got the unit we really liked the lights as our old unit the lights always filled with debris behind them. Well, we were washing the unit a couple weekends ago and when we got to the back of the unit something was wrong. The taillights had fallen inside the unit. There is just a pressure tab that holds the lights in, you have to stick you arm into the hole and use a serious suction cup and pull as hard as you can. Not a very secure light. If it happens again I guess the solution is to cut an access panel in the wall behind it - not what I really want to do but if they won't stay in what do you do?

Don't get me wrong I actually like the unit but I have been very unhappy with the factory there total lack of communication with me has prompted me to finally post on this site.
Would I recommend the unit? Absolutely but the Grand Canyon model while I like the island, it limits you. You can change the couch and the recliners Any Time You Want... but if you want to use the pullout sleeper the couch can only be by the back window or it hits the island. Having the chairs next to the dinette really cramp you when eating. Get a more open floor plan.

Scott

Stella,
I will do my best to address the issues you are having with your Grand Canyon one by one:

On the drawer guides - in the beginning, we used steel drawer guides whtat were the "Lift and Pull" type. They do have a plastic end piece, that if not secured properly, can either come loose or break (because of over-torqued screws). While the newer ball bearing drawer guides offer more space in terms of coming out of the cabinet further, and they have metal end pieces, they have their own quirks, such as trying to keep them adjusted so that they grab the "clip" that is designed to keep them in place.
Honestly, some people prefer the "Lift and Pull" drawers (an industry standard for over 20 years) because they have more success with keeping them in place when loaded up. I know that we can have your dealer replace the plastic ends (installing them correctly) to repair you drawers.
Even with the newer drawer guides (a running product change that occurred in December of last year), some owners have chosen to add small latches under the drawer front to keep heavy loaded drawers in place during transit.
I know that some people have asked to have their coach "upgraded" with the newer guides, but that is not a warranty issue. Making sure your drawer guides work properly is the issue. It would be like someone wanting us to upgrade them to the slide-topper awnings which we made standard in December, because their coach didn't have them. We just can't do that. There are over 200 Landmarks on the road with the original drawer guide systems, and though we have had a dozen or so who had issues with the plastic pieces breaking, once their issues were addressed, they functioned as designed.
On the cabinet front that is loose, it obviously needs to have it's screws tightened up.
Regarding the vertical wood slide fascia that came off your wall. They are pin-nailed into place (through the plywood that is behind the decorative wood). When your dealer mentioned adjusting your room, he probably wanted to get it up off the floor a little more so that the bottom of your wood fascia would be so tight to the carpet so that it will not get pulled off again. I have been in this industry for over 20 years and the fact is, slide out rooms shift during transit. But that is ok, as they are designed to be able to be be adjusted on three different axis.
On the leg room at the computer desk, I don't disagree withyou that a lot of today's "entertainent center/computer desks" in fifth wheels that offer the slide out tray are not too conducive to actually working at a computer when it comes to leg room. The thing is, when we do have all of the leg room (like in the Golden Gate and Monticello models) we also hear people's comments about "wasted space" and "I want the storage". The outlet on top of the desk is something that has also been debated with numerous viewpoints. Most people who set up an office there do not want to see the cords or the outlet, similar to a desk in the workplace. That is why we located the outlet under the counter and put in the desk grommet to pass the cords through.
I'm not sure what to tell you about the location of the sub woofer except to say that that is where 99% of the manufacturers end up putting it. In fact, that is where the maker of the system suggests we put it.

We have taken your comments, along with some other folks who don't really like the multiple water pump switches, to heart and are changing it in the upcoming model change (due out in October). There will one switch inside and one in the docking center.
We located all of the "mechanicals", including the monitor panel, electric water heater switch, audio/video control panel, light switches, etc. in the front closet as opposed to having them exposed right out on the interior wall. Most of our customers appreciate this much cleaner look.

Regarding your tank locations, actually it is the fresh water tank (the largest on the coach) that is located over the axles. The black and grey tanks are located forward of that, honestly, just below the bathroom area. If you look inside your slideing access panels, into the belly of the coach, you will see that you toilet drain goes almost vertical down into the tank. There could be a number of reasons for the build-up you are experiencing.

Regarding the unit needing two A/Cs. If you call Dometic or any of the other A/C vendors, they will tell you that any coach over 34' with mulitple slide-outs can be cooled with one A/C, but yes, they too, say that if you really want it cold, they you are asking a lot of one A/C. That is why we offer the option of two. Those who take their unit to AZ/TX/FL will most assuredly want two A/Cs. BUT - I know a lot of our owners who stay more in the Midwest and Upper states and they have no problems with one A/C.
Now, regarding the remote control, we are getting rid of it because it has been too hard for most folks to work with. When utilized properly, it is a nice system (the most expensive on the market), but that being said, I can't tell you how many folks have called and needed assistance with their remote system. I will tell you one trick. Put the system on manual, not auto, and crank the fan up on high. This will (in most cases) give you maximum cooling. To get more air in the bedroom, be sure to shut off the bathroom vent. This vent, while located nearest the A/C, will "steal" a lot of air from the bedroom if left open.
On your taillight falling into the coach - there is a clip on the back of the light that is not the easiest thing in the world to have clip properly. That being said, once it is clipped into place, it is not coming out. Your one light obviously didn't get completely clipped here at the factory. I apologize about that. We can have your dealer repair that if you are unable to get it.
Regarding the "total lack of communication" from the factory, I guess most of that would fall on me. I am pretty good about getting back with owners to address their needs, but I apologize if you attempted to get me and I did not respond. The good news is that I have added two more customer service representatives here at Heartland as we continue to grow and have more and more models on the road now. We just recently produced our 1,000th unit.
And we are going to continue to add resources in the parts/service/warranty department so that we if and when our customers do encounter problems with their coaches, we can respond more quickly and get them back out on the road.
Oh, regarding your sofa/bed in the Grand Canyon, we were unwilling to make the island any smaller (as it is the number one selling feature of that floorplan) - AND your bed will pull out while in the slide-out, you just need to angle your bed by pulling the left side (when looking at it) out from the wall about 6". We show our dealers this and tell them to make sure the Grand Canyon owners know this detail. I'm sorry that that information did not get passed on to you.

Hope these answers have helped shed some light.

ST

jbeletti

More vs. Less Water Pump Switches...

Hi Stella,

While Scott addressed your water pump switch concern, I wanted to chime in.

I don't boondock often, so I don't use my water pump much. When I do use it though, I have found it handy to have switches in multiple locations.

One example is when we are under way. I rarely go into a gas station to use the restroom. I just use the trailer restroom. Nice to have a pump switch right there in the stool room as I just have to hit it on, flush, then hit it back off.

I know that trailers undergo changes from year to year to incorporate things that customer and prospective customers have mentioned or asked for as well as items the manufacturer thinks customers will want. For me, I'm glad I have this old (2005) unit with several pump switch locations.

On the other hand, I am sure that I'd love some of the other (2006 and beyond) changes and additions.

Back to all those pump switches, be aware that they are momentary switches the switch a relay at the pump. So the switches do not have an on and an off position. They just signal the pump to switch to the opposite mode (on or off). That said, you can turn the pump off from any switch within reach. No need to pull any breakers/fuses.

What I would really like to see is a "pump on" status light on each switch. Just a faint red LED to tell me that it is on. Sure, one could look at the master control panel in the coat closet as that water pump switch is lighted, but handier would be those wall mounted switches that have a glow to them when the pump is on.

I'm glad to hear that you are still happy with your coach.

Happy trails,

Jim