Big Country - Model of King pin box

Cynusps

We can not find the model number of Lippert pin box. We want to add an air cushion pin box. Most of the air type indicates it fits certain models but not others. Can you supply this information please. We have a 2011 Big Country 3250TS purchased 11/2010.

Also can you recommend which air pin box works best? Thanks for the info. :confused:

dbhutchins

Re: ATF: Big Country - Model of King pin box

I had the same question a couple days ago. Called Heartland and the guy I spoke to suggested I call Lippert! Somehow this didn't compute, since they make a lot of pinboxes and I wouldn't expect them to know which ones Heartland installs on which trailers. But I did talk to Lippert - and they were a big help. They linked me to the manufacturing drawings of the different pinboxes. It was easy to compare the drawings to my RV (Cyclone 3210) and figure out that I had a Lippert 1621HD pinbox. I suggest you do the same, and you'll then be certain of the answer.

By the way: I'm an engineer, and don't understand how an air hitch or air pinbox can do much for ride quality. The air suspension units damp VERTICAL motion. The problem with hauling a big 5'er is fore and aft horizontal forces, usually called "chucking". The only pinbox I've seen that is designed to take that out is the Demco Glide Ride. I've got one that I ordered last week, that just came in today, and will know by the end of the week if this is the solution. Personally - I doubt an air pinbox will do much for you.

If you want to wait a few days, I'll report back on the forum.

Don Hutchins

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader

I am not the factory but.....Unless they have changed the box since 09, the 3250 uses the 1621 pinbox.
You can verify this by removing the plastic cover on the pinbox (4 screws) and looking at the Lippert part tag on the pin box.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

I would recomend a Trail-Air Tri-Glide pin box. Not only will the air bag dampen the up down but will also help to all but eliminate the chucking. There is more than one product available to help eliminate "chucking". I have one and not had chucking since it was installed.
As stated above, call Lippert and get they can help you determine what you have.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Our 07 Big Horn has the 1621 pinbox. I think that is the standard pinbox for the HL/Lippert made frames.

B

bwwalczak

The correct pin box model is Lippert 1621HD on Big Country. I hope this eliminates any confusion.

Cynusps

Thank you to everyone for the answers. It does help a great deal. These forums have been wonderful and we are happy to belong to the Heartland family.:)

dbhutchins

Updating my recent post: Have now got the Demco Pinbox installed, and it's GREAT. Transforms the way the beast rides on our corduroy highways around here. I'm gonna love this thing on next year's cross-country jaunt.

If chucking is a problem for you - Demco has a solution.

SilverRhino

I had the same question a couple days ago. Called Heartland and the guy I spoke to suggested I call Lippert! Somehow this didn't compute, since they make a lot of pinboxes and I wouldn't expect them to know which ones Heartland installs on which trailers. But I did talk to Lippert - and they were a big help. They linked me to the manufacturing drawings of the different pinboxes. It was easy to compare the drawings to my RV (Cyclone 3210) and figure out that I had a Lippert 1621HD pinbox. I suggest you do the same, and you'll then be certain of the answer.

By the way: I'm an engineer, and don't understand how an air hitch or air pinbox can do much for ride quality. The air suspension units damp VERTICAL motion. The problem with hauling a big 5'er is fore and aft horizontal forces, usually called "chucking". The only pinbox I've seen that is designed to take that out is the Demco Glide Ride. I've got one that I ordered last week, that just came in today, and will know by the end of the week if this is the solution. Personally - I doubt an air pinbox will do much for you.

If you want to wait a few days, I'll report back on the forum.

Don Hutchins

After reviewing the Demco video I can understand how the Glide Ride pinbox will help with "chucking"......

Not being an engineer, I have always been more concerned about the vertical movement at the hitch causing undo stress and strain on the 5th wheel frame and the tow vehicle. If I read your post correctly, you do not feel that this is the main area of concern.....Could you please explain your thinking on this.

I have undergone major back surgery and have been researching air hitches and pin boxes to help with the ride and probably even more importantly, help reduce the stress on my trailer and truck.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

On my original pin box there resides a tag with a serial number and other numerical identification. Nothing that give a specific type, such as "1621HD." When I called Lippert with this information, their reply was to send them a picture of the box. That would have required removing the plastic cowling first. I called Heartland and was promptly told "1621HD." That's what I used to replace the OEM with a 5th Airborne.

lwmcguir

Vertical movement is part of the problem that goes along with chucking. Our 5th Airborne pin box virtually eliminated chucking so it does help a lot. However we use a GN adapter so we have a lot of horizontal movement as well. You need something to take the bounce of the pot holes either on the coach or the TV. Otherwise you run the risk of damage over time.

dbhutchins

Happy to explain:

The truck suspension, with the aid of 2500 lb helpers in our case, is designed to absorb vertical loads between the tires and the frame. There's nothing in the suspension to absorb fore and aft loads which the trailer imposes on the truck. Our experience riding over a lot of different roads is that the "bumps" are taken up pretty well, but that trailer kicks the truck foreward and backward pretty vigorously. I suppose vertical damping at the kingpin or pinbox a la air hitches or air pinbox setups might help some, but the design of the Demco pinbox is clearly aimed directly at the fore/aft chucking motion. My so-far limited use of the new setup has shown that it is very good. I'll have more to report after our first longish trip this spring, but don't know yet when that'll be. Weather here still pretty grim!