anybody carry a generator on the back of their Bighorn

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
I am thinking of getting a Honda 3000 and would like some ideas of how to carry it on the back of my Bighorn. Any ideas?????

Rick

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Rick, it has been done. You will have to make something pretty strong to hold it. There is alot of bouncing on the back of a 5er. You will have make a support that is welded and bolted to the frame. The draw back is...it could VOID the frame warranty.....Just saying. Personally I carry mine in the back of the TV. I put a 50amp plug in the front of the Horn and added a double 30amp breaker to the panel and made an extension cord. When we travel we will always have 110v if needed. I don't like lugging the 50amp cord around anymore than I have to. PM me if you need anymore info. Bob

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We never felt good about bouncing our Honda 3000 off the back of our rig. We had a 3055 with a homemade roll out tray mounted in the off door side compartment. We now have a 3185 and although we had to shorten the width of the shelf we are preparing to reinstall that device in our rig. Click here for pic of the install on the 3055.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I used to and intend to, in the near future, carry two 2K generators on the back of my Bighorn. I need to wait a while till my warranty is almost up before welding on the new rig.
I coppied a design from Jnphobe here on the forum. The only thing I added was a GearDeck box to house the gennys. I can run them with the door propped open when it rains.
I welded two recievers on the frame. One on each I-beam. The attached pic does not show that, but you get the idea. If I find some pics of the mount I will come back and post that as well. It is heavy duty for sure.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• DSC00876.JPG
    DSC00876.JPG
    285.8 KB · Views: 122

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I have a 3055 and that is exactly the way I installed mine works great. slide was about $70.00 and a piece of scrap plywood and a couple of 4x4"s uner the slide for clearance

Last edited:

jnbhobe

Rick; As Dave said I have one on the back of my rig, Not sure if you seen it at the Kingston Rally last year or not. It is 2ft by 6ft steel mesh and not very heavy, I have a 3000 watt Honda on it, works good. Lippert seen mine when doing some warranty work and didn't say anything, thats one thing you have to watch out for. I will have it at Goshen this year if you want to see it. Jon

rvn4fun

Really starting to wonder on the frame warranty and hitches. When we bought our rv new we wanted a hitch so we could pull our Jeep behind, when we heard you couldn't install a hitch without voiding warranty we hesitated. Yesterday I was out on my walk and saw a new Big Country with a heavy duty hitch installed with a motorcycle lift on it. I stopped and question him about it, he said he had his Heartland dealer install it for a reasonable price.. When I asked him about the frame warranty, his dealer said warranty was completely covered as long as a Heartland dealer installs the hitch. Questions anyone??????

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have my doubts about that. Number one, Lippert warrants the frame. Number two, did the owner check with Heartland or Lippert to verify what the dealer told him. Number three, who will take care of him if he has a problem. I can almost guaranty that no one will unless it's him that pays.
More than likely he will not have a problem, but if he does. ??? And I think that the only part of warranty to be effected would be the frame....I think.
I had a question about adding my bike rack to the pin box and was told don't do it, it will void the warranty. When I said I am out of warranty I was told to go ahead and do what I wanted, as I should not have a problem.
If you want to add a receiver to pull your Jeep, call Lippert and Heartland and see what they have to say. Then you will know the real story.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

Even on a 12" I-beam frame 5th wheel, I would never consider adding a motorcycle lift. I'm guessing there'd be at least 400-500 pounds of lift and bike hanging off the back of the frame. Think of the weight from the bouncing forces.

RollingHome

I carry my 3KW genny in my truck for "boondocking". I think Jim B's answer is the best one you'll find... Think about it !

navyAZ1

I carry my 3KW genny in my truck for "boondocking". I think Jim B's answer is the best one you'll find... Think about it !

DITTO - We have a 3000W Kipor gen. and I built a special box for the bed of the truck and carry it in there. Granted it's a bigger pain in the butt to take out and use but I carried a small supply box on the back of our first 5th wheel and it came off in rush hour traffic north of Atlanta (luckily no crashes occured). Granted the guy who welded our hitch on did it totally wrong and very sloppy, but it scared me bad enough that I'll never put anything on the back of a 5th wheel due to the greater amount of bouncing that a 5th wheel does.