Need clarification on leaky toilet

aatauses

I checked several of the post on this issue and just need some clarification. Ours is not leaking at the floor nor do we have water on the floor. It does not seal in the bowl. According to the threads, I should try to push down on the seal---shouldn't I be pushing up so it seals against the top? I tried to clean with the supplied gadget, and that worked for a day or so, but now the water continues to leak out. We also let the food pedal slam back, but that is not helping either?
If I call sealand, do I need the complete seal from bottom up or only a seal where the white thing is?
al

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: Need clarification on leky toilet

Al, it's normally the seal in the middle. The one where the white thingy is. Here is a word doc that I saved. It may help you.

I called SeaLand, a Dometic company... Phone # 1-800-321-9886.

I talked to a very pleasant customer service gal who explained that the company tried using a "Different" kind of seal on the model of toilet we had ( Model #210 ) and they found it was a problem. The Ball Valve was hitting the seal which prevented it from closing all the time... when it hit it leaked the water from the bowl.

She was happy to send me a replacement seal kit:

( # 385311462 (without overflow holes) )

She explained the seal I will be removing from the toilet will look and feel much different than the one she was sending. The new seal was a flexible and much larger than the old one. The old seals I took out, only the lower seal was flexible and it was much smaller than the new seal. The top or cover on the old seal was a ridged plastic.

The process for removing and replacing required only a flat blade screwdriver and some cleaning tools. (cleaner and a rag or paper towels)

Be Sure to turn off the water to the RV so you don't accidentally hit the foot pedal and flood the bathroom !!!

I would also recommend using gloves when working around any part of the sanitation system of the RV. I have attached the photos of the repair... pictures are worth a whole lot more than my attempt to describe the process.

The last few photos shows a split ring that is held in place with the stainless steel draw band. I showed them apart and then put together to demonstrate the two points that slip together... this part of the split ring goes to the front of the toilet. Your going to discover there is a gap in the rear of these split rings... it's designed this way. Just lock the front together and place the stainless steel draw band over them and tighten.

Hope this is some help for those who may need to replace the seal for one reason or another.
[FONT=&quot]//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4809&d=1250353882[/FONT]

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Before tearing it apart, try scrubbing the underside of toilet bowl where the ball valve is with a toilet brush. Sometimes a bit of TP, or the excess fiber in your diet, can get stuck and allow leakeage.

Ray, your link only has a photo of the seal kit you got. Are there supposed to be more photos?

Ray LeTourneau

Before tearing it apart, try scrubbing the underside of toilet bowl where the ball valve is with a toilet brush. Sometimes a bit of TP, or the excess fiber in your diet, can get stuck and allow leakeage.

Ray, your link only has a photo of the seal kit you got. Are there supposed to be more photos?
I had gotten that document somewhere else and CRS has taken over. There were no other photo's associated with it. I have not replaced the seal in my Sealand yet but I saved the doc for later reference. So far we've been able to use the brush to keep the seal clean. As far as "Fiber", do peanuts count as fiber?

fhollan

About one year ago after I got my BH out of storage, I replaced both the floor and middle seals. The year before (09) is when I noticed water starting to leak from the toilet bowl. Then last year when I first applied water pressure to clear out all of the RV antifreeze water leaked from underneath the toiletwhen flushing. Since the RV was four years old at that time I ordered both seals. The old ones looked somewhat worn, especially the bottom one. Worked fine the rest of the year. We'll find out later about this year. Can't wait. Tired of winter.

JohnDar

I had gotten that document somewhere else and CRS has taken over. There were no other photo's associated with it. I have not replaced the seal in my Sealand yet but I saved the doc for later reference. So far we've been able to use the brush to keep the seal clean. As far as "Fiber", do peanuts count as fiber?[/QUOTE]

No, but if you follow them with a double bean burrito and a couple of beers, they could count as a deadly weapon.

Ray LeTourneau

Something else to keep an eye on with our toilets is the vacuum breaker valve. In 4 years I had no idea how it was connected or anything. A couple months ago we started seeeing a puddle under the flusher valve. I stared to disassemble the flusher but found no leaks. I then traced the leak up to the vacuum breaker and found that it had partially pulled out of place. I then found out it's just pressed into a rubber grommet in the back of the toilet. I took everything apart, cleaned it up, used some plumbers lube and re-assembled. No more leak. Added benefit was a better, fuller flush.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Here is an excerpt from the manual, How to use section page 2.
3. Release flush lever by allowing it to snap back, which permits positive sealing around the flush ball.

I am attaching a copy of the manual in the Heartland Owners Manual section under the tools drop down.
Manual 210

BC

JohnDar

I realize this thread has gotten a little old, but we've recently encountered the ball valve not fully seating and the water leaking out. I did try cleaning the seal, but the cut-out on the ball still catches it and the water leaks out. With a GLOVED hand, it is possible to rotate the ball a bit further and the water stays. I picked up a seal replacement kit at the dealer and will give it a go in a couple of days. I was going to get a new spring canister for it, as well, but they were out of them. Guess I'll try adjusting the tightness of the screws, per the manual, and see if that helps.

Letting the flush lever snap back is hit or miss on getting a seal. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Oddly enough, it was fine all winter since it held the antifreeze I put in the bowl while winterizing.

JohnDar

OK, toilet appears to be fixed. I got the replacement seal kit from the dealer and installed it this morning. Also found the spring canister was a bit loose, so I tightened it up. Bowl is holding water now.

The original seals were a small rubber one set inside a plastic ring. The new ones are both rubber, one thick, one thin, and the same diameter, with the exception of the holes.

Also got the Heng Vortex fan installed in the bedroom. Pretty simple except that the trim ring of the old one was partially glued to the fan frame. Had to get a little violent to get it down, but the job is done. New fan works nice.