Trailer button

I asked earlier about the mileage on my 2008 DruaMax 2500 HD and got lots of good information. Thank you for your input. However, I forgot to ask about the trailer tow button on the end of the gear shift lever. Do I engage it anytime the 5er is hooked up or just when going up or down hills? Two other questions while I am at it. Are there any tricks to backing up like lining up the wheels with a camp spot before backing? Does anyone know of an online video about backing? Also, where do you get fuel? You can not just pull up to any diesel pump with 32 feet of 5th wheel behind you. Can you use the same pumps the semi's use at truck stops? thanks Steve

SilverRhino

I routinely fuel up at the "Big Rig" pumps at truck stops. Fuel up and then move your rig out of the way.

As far as backing up a trailer, I learned years ago that you "place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and then you move your hand in the direction you wish the rear of the trailer to go" Find a nice empty parking lot and practice.....this will help you determine how fast, or slow the rear of the trailer comes around. Our RV trailers have a lot of trailer that hangs out over the axles.....you need to be aware of the "swing" that the rear of your trailer goes through when backing or turning corners.

Good Luck!

tmcran

Yes use T/H when towing. It also allows u to use the grade brake helping to save your brakes. Very good idea to find big lot and practice........ have fun

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Steve, yes when you are towing...use the tow/haul button. It does not effect fuel mileage...It just keeps the trans in the gears longer. When you move the shift lever to the "M"..then you click the gears up or down with the switch on the shift lever. What I am trying to tell you is that you lock the trans in certain gears for pulling steep grades or going down steep hills. If your trans starts down shifting or upshifting too much...lock in a lower gear. Always watch your engine and trans temps when pulling long grades in hot weather. If your engine or trans starts running too warm downshift a gear, back off the throttle but NEVER pullover and shut it off. Keep the cooling fan running. If you did not get an owners manual....go to a Chevy store and order one.

We fuel alot at Flying "J" truck stops. They have an area for RV's. I use truck stops as much as possible. The fuel is alot cleaner and easier to get in and out of. If you have to use the "Big OL' Truck" lanes, fill and pull up and let the next guy in. Most truck stops let you park with the "Big OL' Trucks" if you need to sleep awhile but for heavens sake DO NOT PUT OUT YOUR SLIDES. A "Big OL' Truck" might remove them for you.

Last edited:

TedS

In tow/haul anytime you are towing.
Be aware that in semi fuel lanes most pump nozzles are large, high flow nozzles that will not fit your fuel filler neck, unless your 2008 has the larger filler neck. Mine does not so I have to hold the nozzle while feathering the valve handle should I ever pull into a semi lane. Lesson learned.
Look carefully before pulling into a 'regular' filling station to determine where the diesel is and whether or not you can get in and out. Watch the overhead for clearance.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I drive in tow/haul mode anytime I'm pulling and half the time when I'm empty. I just like the way my TV drives in tow/haul.

When I had my 32' SOB I would fuel at the regular gas station diesel pumps pretty regularly, when necessary. Truck stops are not always available.
Just watch what you are doing. Plan a way out BEFORE you pull in. Watch the overhead as well.
Usually can be done, especially on the outside islands. JUST BE CAREFUL. Plan ahead.

With my near 40' BH, I have not been quite as bold about pulling through regular fill up lanes. (Yet)

caissiel

The best practice to back up is to find an area or road that has no traffic like a dead end street and try to back up traight backward while looking in the mirrors. Monday I went fishing with the boat and trailer and had to turn around almost a 1/4 of a mile from our boat ramp at the end of the road, and had to back the boat straight back and it was easy because I have done it lots. If you loose control just stop and move ahead to straighten rather then doing it while backing up and taking a chance of hitting something with the truck or trailer.
When I back into a site I usualy lay some of my 2 x 6 blockings along the path of the trailer wheels and then back up keeping the trailer tires about 6-12" away. Usualy it backs right in without any other gidence other then my wife watching where to avoid obstacles and stoping at the right place.

I have an extra tank and its in the bed. When I have tight spots to fuel up I can fill the top tank from both side and dump it in the truck tank at that time. That way I have been able to manuver in realy tight fuel stations in town. I do prefer truck stop though they are much easier to fill up.

I have a standard and I do choose my shift points. I shift differently when towing but mostly keep the turbo pressure at the minimum value that alows me to accelerate properly. No need to break anything because these trucks have plenty of additional power to get going using the max torque available. I never rev the engine more then 2600RPM and so far never needed more in the last 16 years of towing heavy RV's. High RPM only create more heat and most trucks will get in dangerous levels when towing.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Backing your trailer..

In 2007 I took Dick Reed's driving course in California. This is where I learned this technique.

Now what I am going to say many will disagree with me. However if you practice this you will find it is a lot easier than having the DW on a radio, in back yelling or getting angry with each other and no one gets run over.

As suggested in a previous post, I use some small orange cones or some line in the camp site where I want to position my trariler. You can also use a number of the orange leveling lego blocks. Doesn't hurt them when you run over them.

Position your trailer beyond the near edge of your camp site, and back up turning when the bumper or back of the trailer is at the nearest edge. Now the real weird way. I have my DW drive. (and yes many back with their hand at the bottom of the steering wheel which does work well.) My DW will drive with her hand in the normal driving position. I will look all around the site for things that will cause a problem before we begin to back. With my hand on the driver side mirror (keep hand on mirror at all times) I tell her to start backing. She does not have to look around or anything just turn as I instruct. As I am watching the trailer go backwards and I want it to turn right (that is my right) I tell her to turn right. As she turns right this will move the bottom of the steering wheel left... get it??. I tell her to bend it easy, more, hard or whatever I want and I guide her back giving instruction as I see them when she is backing. If I am not sure how everything is going I ask her to stop and I go look where the trailer is overall positioned in the site.

You should practice in a large parking lot with cones or whatever you can make a camp site area with. I will park the rig and place cones around the trailer, then pull out and work to back it into my cone camp site.

The only way you will get better is to practice, practice, practice.

As for the T/H my Ford mechanic told me to always be in Tow Haul when pulling anything. I also use T/H on hilly or curvy roads. Keeps me from having to use the brakes.

FWIW
BC

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Re: Backing your trailer..

Steve, to address one comment. Your 08 does have the big hole for the bigger nozzles in truck stops. My 05 did and I think that was the year they changed to the bigger fill hole...might have been in the 04 1/2 trucks.