50amp camper cord on a 30amp or 20 amp service

future3490owner

We are ordering a greystone 33ck and I just thought about the fact that this is a 50amp service. Most places we go have either a 30amp or a 20 amp service box. How have you guys hooked up? Do you use a 50a-30a dogbone? Can you even step a 50a down to a 20 amp?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you will want to have a dog bone and any other adapter you can find. You can get an adapter to go from the 30amp dog bone to 20amp. But when you get down to that 20 amp your power usage will be limited.

Peace
Dave

future3490owner

Yes, you will want to have a dog bone and any other adapter you can find. You can get an adapter to go from the 30amp dog bone to 20amp. But when you get down to that 20 amp your power usage will be limited.

Peace
Dave
so looks like I will be shopping for the 50amp dog bone to drop it down to 30amps, I have a 30amp to 15 amp adapter that we use on our current rig at some places (never using the A/C). We dont really use the A/C that much in the camper, but I should be good with 30amps for weekend use should I need the A/C. i just wont run the A/C and 2 microwaves while the fridge is on 110v.... lol

Last edited:

rustyshakelford

so looks like I will be shopping for the 50amp twist lock dog bone to drop it down to 30amps, I have a 30amp to 15 amp adapter that we use on our current rig at some places (never using the A/C). We dont really use the A/C that much in the camper, but I should be good with 30amps for weekend use should I need the A/C. i just wont run the A/C and 2 microwaves while the fridge is on 110v.... lol

when we bought our cyclone, they gave us a 50 amp cord, 50-30 adapter and then i think the 30-15 adapter. we have it plugged in to a household plug to keep the frig going and the batteries charged

brett

ultrafarmer

I don't use my 50 amp any more. I have the $70 adapter and go down to 30 amp cord. The 50 is way to heavy and stiff to boot. I have 1 air con. is all and have no problem's.

navyAZ1

One thing you might want to consider is an adapter that has 2 male 30 amp plugs going to one 50 amp female plug that you can then plug in your 50 amp cord. You can purchase these made up, or as I did I just bought the parts and made my own. I did this due to a lot of the state parks we go to for whatever reason have 2 30 amp plugs side by side in their box so you plug in this adapter and you have 50 amp service. If a park only has one 30 amp and one 20 amp plug I have also seen some folks place a adapter plug on one of the 30 amp legs of this type adapter that will allow them to plug into the one 30 amp and 20 amp plugs, not sure if that's the safest way to go but I guess it works.

Good Luck,

Ron