Generator Breakin??

bggrndodge

I will be getting my new 3010 next weekend and was curious if there is a break-in period for the 5500 Onan? I have heard some do, but does anyone know if mine will and what it is? I'm sure it will say in the owners manual but just trying to get ahead of the game.

Thanks,
Jake

bggrndodge

Someone was telling me about loading it up with a load of 50% for an hour and half, with full load intervals. Has anyone done this or could it have just been my buddies generator instructions?

fljlcw

mine used oil untill I worked it hard for several hrs. and seated the rings onan tech told me to do that at A rally its been fine ever since

rustyshakelford

i still havent read the genrators owners manual. I just start it and turn it off when I am done with it or it keeps setting the CO alarm off. I parked to close to some shrubs and apparantly it makes that big of a difference. Havent had any other issues, but i am looking at an exhaust extension of some kind. We have about 15 hours on ours so far. when i get back from my little weekend trip next weekend, I service the genny

brett

porthole

Retired
Break it in with a load. Electric heater is a good start (plug in) Maybe run the AC too.
A few hours of this and light loads and then change the oil at 10 -20 hours.

Then just use it.

bggrndodge

Thanks Porthole, I just read the owners manual on line. It says 1 hour at 1/2 rated load and another 1 hour at 3/4 rated load. Thanks again, hope it gets here soon.

Jake