Axles, Tires and Brakes

tommigb2

We have a 3670RL ordered. Our neighbor who has a new Big Horn is cautioning us about the standard tires (chinese) 7000 lb axles and inadequate braking system. Is it a fact or buyer's remorse?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The China made tires have been somewhat problematic but I wouldn't let it be a major concern. The USA made Goodyear G614's may have been overlooked by your dealer as an offered option. Many buyers are ordering that option as they are cheaper as an option than purchasing after the fact. I must say though that over the last year, I haven't read many posts regarding tire issues. Certain brands of China tires were more problematic than others and I think the Mission brand had more than most.
Be diligent about checking your air pressure, keep them at 110 psi cold and inspect the tires regularly, both inside and out. You'll be fine.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
To add to what Ray said I haven't heard too much about spring problems lately either. The braking system is no different than any other stock 7k axle. Keep them adjusted and they should be fine. Your other options would be disc brakes or larger brakes installed after market. Either one would be costly.
The most recent braking issues that I can recall were caused by poor adjustment.

Peace
Dave

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I agree with the other posters. I have a 2011 3670 that we put over 7,000 miles on last year and have no problems to report. I read lots of posts prior to buying regarding tires and suspension issues so I've paid particularly close attention to those components and have noted nothing out of the ordinary. I keep my weight under the max GVWR, the brakes adjusted, tires at 110 psi and the lugs to the recommended ft lbs.of torque and check them before each trip.

RSIG

I had a 3670 that I changed the tires to Good Year G 614's. The brakes were not an issue. I just took delivery of a 3455 RL and ordered the Good Year G 614 option. If your unit is not in production your dealer can call and have the tires changed to Good Year G 614's. The cost is around $450.00 where after market cost for 5 tires will be over $1300.00. Get documentation from your dealer that he made the change to Good Year G 614's. Should you have any question e-mail.