King Size Bed

jasayer

We have a 2009 Bighorn 3670 and it came with a king size bed - not my preference for sure but the problem lies in making it up with fitted sheets, blankets, etc. - there is NO room for anything in the slide - does anyone have some answers to this problem? We've installed a piece of "Masonite" under the mattress so it slides out easier but just the size of the mattress causes real problems in moving it at all......help!!!! In addition - once the bed is made it doesn't look that way as nothing tucks in - this is becoming more of a problem as the months go by....

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We put a 6 mil., clear plastic under our King mattress and it slides very easily. Our mattress weighs 70 lbs.( memory foam) and my wife can move it around with out too much trouble at all.
You can get this at Home Depot in the paint dept. Make sure it is the 6 mil (thick stuff, or it will tear) Trace

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It's a bedroom, a place to sleep, not an entertainment center for guests (well, maybe for some it is). Granted, it's a little snug and the mattress is heavy, but it is not impossible to make it up neat and presentable. Open the closet door and the bathroom door, and you've got room for your tush to stick out while you tuck in the sheets. A comforter over the top, some pillows tossed at the head, and you're a happy camper.

I quit worrying about somebody bouncing quarters off my bed decades ago.

View attachment 12381View attachment 12382View attachment 12383

caissiel

We modified the the bed base to fit a queen size matress after the first week of ownership. Unbelieveble the room we now have in the bedroom. There is 6 inches more by the closet and lots of room on the oposite side for dressing and walking at the foot of the bed. I do get lots of coments on the bedroom arrangement of our BC all the time. It was our best mod. Now sheets are standard and easier to do the bed.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I had a queen in my last SOB. I made a point of buying a unit with a king bed and we love it. Would not want to go back to a queen. Although I think my bedroom may be larger than previous years. IMHO.

jasayer

Thanks for the insight - not looking for perfection here - we live in our unit five months each winter and changing the bed is my worst nightmare - but thanks for your comments.

jasayer

This sounds like a good option and we've been thinking about how to accomplish this - the "base" doesn't seem small enough to downsize the mattress without redoing the whole base??? Is that what you did?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I guess there are a number of short guys and gals, but us long skinney guys need more room. Our SOB we had a Queen size bed and almost immediately I told the DW the next trailer will have a King size bed.

When we got our Bighorn I got my King size bed. Like others it is a real pain to pull the bed out and make it up. I put some Linol on the frame which helped but when the bed went bad we had a custom mattress made. The original bed was 72" x 80" so the new mattress was made 71" x 80" and it is a lot easier to pull out to make up. The sheets are still a bit larger but we just tuck it in and pull the spread over it all and it is presentable. Very few people go into our bed room and if those that do don't like it they can go use the outdoor latrine.

There are many threads in the forum. Do an Advanced search at the top right corner of the page (it will do a Google Search throughout the Forum. Works Great.) and check out previous discussions.

BC