Rear cap and satellite coax's

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Does anyone know if there is anything inside the rear cap that would restrict running satellite coax's down from the top and around the rear window of the cap. I don't want to run the cables in through the sides or rear of the cap. I would like to run all the wiring through the underbelly and forward. Just another "crazy" mod of mine. BTW, I'm installing the Winegard Carryout dome on the ladder. Want it to be NEAT....it's just me..hate wires running everywhere. If it all works out I will post some pix and I also will make it so I can move the dome around if I have to with different coax's and a seperate power cord (I have 2). I have all these ideas stuffed in my mind...and OH what a mess that is.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bob, I would think it is just dead space in there. The rear cap that is...LOL.
The Big Country is a similar setup w/o the rear cap and everything runs under the flat wall in the back of the trailer I think.(except for the tail lights and top running lights with the BH) JMHO.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, on both of my Bighorns I ran a video coax for my back up cam, from the center above the window, down to the Coroplast. I used a piece of #12 wire for a fish tape.
You will be fine.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had to replace a taillight and it appeared it was only insulation inside the rear cap.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
When we bought our '08 Bighorn the dealer's tech's decided they couldn't find the factory wiring...soooo, they ran the cables down from the top of the cap, beside the rear window and re-wired the whole coach. Just last week, we changed the dome out for a Travler' HD dish, and had to run a second wire...it was a bit of a challenge, but we got it done...just have to keep working it, and try to stay on the outside of the "plastic" fabric covering the insulation...Good Luck!

Bob&Patty

Thanks guys, y'all been a big help. Well I guess tomorrow I will drill a big hole in the cap and have at it.

Trace, trust me, it feels like a big void sometimes, at least that what Patty says. I just think my hard drive is full. Too many years of stuff.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks guys, y'all been a big help. Well I guess tomorrow I will drill a big hole in the cap and have at it.

Trace, trust me, it feels like a big void sometimes, at least that what Patty says. I just think my hard drive is full. Too many years of stuff.
Bob, I ran an antenna feed in directly into the cabinets over the rear window. I don't know if that's something that would work for you. I drilled about an inch above the upper right ladder support bar where it attaches to the wall and used a little stainless steel marine vent thingy to cover the coax. I filled the hole with silicone after the cable was through it. I'll shoot a picture tomorrow. It looks pretty decent and the cable is easy to access in the cabinet.

DougS

Doug S
Looking forward to reading about your mod, I'm about 3 weeks away from doing the same. Hope you will keep us informed.

Bob&Patty

Doug, yes I will. If it stops raining for a few days, I will get it done. BTW, The ladder bracket kits comes with all the stuff to make it work, Doug PM me and I will give you the links to the best prices for the Winegard Ladder bracket and Dome.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't know if this will help but here are a couple of pictures of my antenna install. I purchased the escutcheon plate at Ron Hoovers but most any good Marine supply store should have one.

Attachments

• Antenna1.JPG
    Antenna1.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Antenna2.JPG
    Antenna2.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 52

Bob&Patty

OK, now that the rain has stopped. I am making progress installing the cables.The hole is drilled in top of the cap and the cables are partially run. Tomorrow I will take some pix and finish up the rear cap area. I did find the secret to install the cables. If I tell you..then I will have to kill you. Naw, not really...PM me and I will explain it.

Next week I will be dropping the underbelly to run the cables to the satellite connectors in the UCD and the 12V wires to the switch (supplied in the ladder bracket kit) that I installed in the entry closet. I also did find that the fuse panel has 4 extra "pre wired" fuse holders. I need one for the 12V wires. Takes a 5 amp fuse.