Access to icemaker water line

wyleyrabbit

Can anyone tell me how to access the upper part of the icemaker water line in our Bighorn 3055RL?

If I take off the off-door access panel in the basement storage, nearest the UDC, I can see the bottom of the icemaker line, but I'm not sure how far up it goes or how to access the top.

I'd like to change it out for a new one, because even after 2 years, and well over 100 nights in the trailer, the ice cubes still have a horrible plastic taste. My guess is that either the stock water line was not made of the right materials for potable water OR that the 10+ months of factory winterizing antifreeze permeated the line so completely as to render the water line unusable.

Thanks,
Chris

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Chris, the fridge will have to be removed to access the upper portion of the line. If you have average mechanical ability, it's not a bad job. The installation manual for the fridge shows how it's installed. 2 screws in the lower front frame and 2 screws in the upper front frame and 2 more at the rear lower area. One near the burner and the other under the board. LP line, a few wires to mark and the ice maker line. About a 2 hour job.
As for the materials they use for the line, they are correct, you might be getting some bad taste from the putty they use at the top to seal the opening the line comes through. The tube is enclosed in a black sheath that also has a heat wire in it. You can have your dealer order a new kit. The connector at the bottom at the relay only works with certain type tubing unless you can figure out a way to adapt it.
I used an upside down plastic milk crate and some 1/2" plywood to slide the fridge out of the compartment and onto the milk crate. Once it's on the crate it's easy to slide around.

wyleyrabbit

Ray,

Thanks for the reply. Is this a "one man job" or do I need a friend with me?

Also, I think others have mentioned using a generic water line from Home Depot. Is there something specific about this waterline that would require me to order one from the factory?

Chris

Ray LeTourneau

Ray,

Thanks for the reply. Is this a "one man job" or do I need a friend with me?

Also, I think others have mentioned using a generic water line from Home Depot. Is there something specific about this waterline that would require me to order one from the factory?

Chris
Chris, I was able to do it with my wifes help and that was basically for a little stabilizing and an extra set of eyes. I didn't have to lift the reefer at all. When I slid it back in, I only had to tilt it back a little to get it started back into the hole. I think I have pictures, I'll check.
As for the tubing, ice maker tubing will work up top but I'm not so sure on the bottom. The ID is a bit different.

As you can see in the pictures, the upper section shows the line in. It is the black one and the tubing fits into an molded elbow that extends into the freezer compartment. The picture of the overall backside is where you can see how it's sitting on the pstic milk crate. There was a piece of 1/2" plywood that is not visible. For me, that was just the right height. You'll have to measure yours and figure out what you'll need for a "stand".

Attachments

• 100_0666comp..jpg
    100_0666comp..jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_0652..JPG
    100_0652..JPG
    760.1 KB · Views: 53

wyleyrabbit

Ray,

I really appreciate the info and the pictures.

Which one of those lines in the first picture is the water line for the icemaker?

Also, were those fans stock? Or did you add those afterwards?

Chris

Ray LeTourneau

Chris, The fans are stock from Dometic as far as I know. The cooling unit on this reefer was replaced while we were in south TX in Dec 2008. If they were added at that time, I don't know but I don't think so. I think they've been there since day 1. No mention of it on the work order from Camper Clinic either.

The water line is the one coming up between the 2 fans. When I replaced that line it was routed differently, close to the heating element, I moved it over. I'll enclose a picture of the original. You can see where it came up along side the heat flue.

Attachments

• 100_0653.JPG
    100_0653.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 29

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I doubt the factory used the wrong water line, i would think they buy it in huge reels of plastic tubing. i think the easiest fix would be to install an inline charcoal water filter to take care of it.

Ray LeTourneau

Chris, You might be aware of this but the water line from the solenoid up the back of the reefer is from Dometic, not Heartland. Heartland supplies the feed line from the UDC to the solenoid. The Dometic line/tubing should be fine. Before pulling the fridge out, get a small mirror and try to get a look at where the water comes in to the ice maker. You may have some putty "contaminating" that inlet area that's causing your bad flavor. You might also try wiping out the ice cube tray with some bleach. Just trying to save you from some unnecessary work.

wyleyrabbit

You know, it's almost as if my Bighorn knew I was thinking about the ice maker. I'm out in the trailer this week and surprise surprise, a couple of days ago I noticed water on the floor in front of the fridge. After taking the basement access panel off, and shining a flashlight around, I could see that the water was trickling down from above. Took off the fridge's vent cover outside and what do you know...the ice maker water line is dripping. ARGH!

Unplugged the fridge, turned it off inside (so it didn't switch over to propane), and turned off water supply line to ice maker.

Took metal access cover off of fridge, undid a couple more screws, and pulled out the assembly where the Heartland water line meets up with the Dometic vertical water line, which has a little device that I assume contains a switch so the fridge can turn on and off the water to the ice maker. Checked the tightness of both fittings (they seemed good), turned the water supply line back on and drip drip drip. Turns out the blue plastic assembly was leaking on the side where the outside water enters the unit. Took everything I could off, and sealed that with a generous helping of silicone sealant; I'll let that cure for a couple of days before I turn the water supply line back on, not that there was any pressure behind the drips.

That said, I had a good look at the water lines. The one from Heartland does look like the ice maker water lines from Home Depot (sort of semi-opaque whitish tubing), so I'm sure that's fine. The tubing on the fridge though is completely transparent soft plastic tubing that looks like the tubing Home Depot sells that says, "not for use with drinking water". Hmmmm. I find in incredibly hard to believe that Dometic could have used the wrong type of water line.

That said, after owning this trailer for two years and having spent somewhere around 100+ nights in it, always with the ice maker running, our ice cubes still taste like plastic and are completely useless. We can't use them in any drinks because they spoil the taste of the drink.

We do have a whole house charcoal water filter running, and most places we stay at have great tasting drinking water.

I'm going to have to think more on this one.

Thoughts?

lwmcguir

I doubt the factory used the wrong water line, i would think they buy it in huge reels of plastic tubing. i think the easiest fix would be to install an inline charcoal water filter to take care of it.

I would like to think you were right. Mine came with the poly tubing that you buy at the local hardware store. Not one NSF on the 1/4 tube. Changed it out and the ice taste much better. Havent looked at anyone elses to see if it is stamped. How about yours?