frame flex and pin box

summers

I am still researching on buying a new 5th wheel to full time. Some brands seem to have an issue with frame flex and the pin box welds breaking. Since these and I believe Bighorns use the liperrt frames has this been an issue for the Bighorns? I have been going a yr. back on postings and am really not seeing much on this problem. Thanks for any responses.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Like you, I haven't read any posts regarding this problem for the newer trailers. It seems there were a few isolated cases on some 2007 & 2008 rigs.

summers

Ray, thank you for your response. I know any rv can have minor flaws and inconveinences, but these types of things I consider major and I'm glad to see this doesn't seem to be a Bighorn problem. Thanks again, Mark

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Mark, there have been any number of similar threads on this subject. Here's one of them;

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/19209-To-those-considering-a-Heartland-Bighorn

It's good to do your homework, so surprises are minimal. We are shoppers and we ended up at Heartland Bighorn.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
Like you, I haven't read any posts regarding this problem for the newer trailers. It seems there were a few isolated cases on some 2007 & 2008 rigs.

Not just 2007 and 2008 models. I have a 2009 and also had and still have major issues with pinbox and front frame flex and major weld breaks under the bedroom area and front storage wall area.

kathyo

We had welds on the frame under the bedroom on a 3500rl 2009 fail and this caused thin metal plates in that area tear. all of this caused the offdoor side wall above the bed slide to tear to the roof on both the outside and the inside. Explore USA in kyle Tx along with reps from Lippertt and Heartland did a temporary fix. we have an appointment in Elkhart on the 9th of May for what we hope is a better fix. We can't even get to the generator door to operate the generator or change the oil. No problems before this except for the shackles on the doorside.

MICKEY

Past Florida Chapter Leader
I know some manufacturers will sell or offer a HD frame or will add additional gussets or bracing in the pinbox and bedroom areas. I don't know if Lippert will do this or if It can be added to ordered from Heartland. I think I'll ask the factory!