Pin Hitch cover???

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
Does any know it the pin hitch cover is gray fiberglass? Or just painted? When turning the 88 degrees it cut into my Rhino lining on the bed rail. Can I just grind/sand the edges off or will that expose "uncolored" fiberglass. Thanks
Tom

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Take a look on the inside of the cover. Is it gray or white? If it's gray, take a knife and make a small scratch under there and see if it's molded in color throughout. Actually, I don't think it's fiberglass, but just a molded plastic (possibly with a glass fiber filler for reinforcement, which is not the same as "fiberglass"). I believe you can cut it with a pair of tin snips.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I had the same problem with cover scuffing the bed rails. Mine is just soft plastic and I trimmed it with a pair of heavy duty kitchen scissors.

JohnDar

And I believe I read some folks have modified their covers to work over a 5th Airborne pin box, too. I'll get to find out after I bring the BH home from the shop on Monday.

rustyshakelford

I'm pretty sure it's gray plastic. Mine has done the same thing by cutting into my bed liner. I'm going to trim it back with a sander!

Brett

Snakebite

And I believe I read some folks have modified their covers to work over a 5th Airborne pin box, too. I'll get to find out after I bring the BH home from the shop on Monday.

I just installed a 5th Airborne on my Sundance245RL, and no matter how much material I removed from Pin Box cover, I just could not get it to work with the Airborne.

Snakebite

JohnDar

Drop down to Post #9 in this thread. Two guys have done it and there are photo's.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/20449-Pin-Box-fairing-question?highlight=5th+Airborne

The original Lippert pinbox on these two rig would have been the 1621 and the corresponding 5th Airborne 5AB-E1621-610 replacement. So, between a pair of snips and a 3lb. maul, I may be able to make it work, too. Worth a try, anyways.

caissiel

I removed mine as soon as the trailer was parked in my Yard. Its not designed to be user friendly, The bottom is level compared to the pinbox slopes down, the cover is way to wide and did not permit hooking at an angle with the V gate up. I cannot drop the tailgate of my truck down without hitting it on the front wall door. So to me its better off.

lwmcguir

I just installed a 5th Airborne on my Sundance245RL, and no matter how much material I removed from Pin Box cover, I just could not get it to work with the Airborne.

Snakebite

Fit very well on my Landmark by removing about two inches on each side of the cut out. Looks and works great with it on.

JohnDar

I just picked up the BH at the dealer after having the 5th AB mounted. Just "dry fitting" the cover over it looks like it's no problem getting it to work. Maybe a little trimming and that's it.