hitch & wet bolts

summers

For those of you that have the TrailAir hitch, do you feel this is a worth while upgrade? And to save on another thread, has anyone done the wet bolt conversion on your shackles and do you think this is something that should be done especially if full timing? Thanks in advance for any responses.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Trail-Air Tri-Glide on my 3585RL. I would not be without it. Tri-Glide is a must have for me. And yes, I have, and would get the wet bolts.
Just my opinion.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

I have a Trail-Air Tri-Glide on my 3585RL. I would not be without it. Tri-Glide is a must have for me. And yes, I have, and would get the wet bolts.
Just my opinion.

Peace
Dave

The only thing I can say is I agree with Dave. I have the same setup and Disc brakes, it makes the package complete !!

SmokeyBare

I feel a TrailAir pin box helps reduce the stress a Fifth Wheel takes to the front frame. The cushion takes the road shock out as you travel down the road feeling each expansion joint of the Hwy. That shock wave travels through the Hitch to the King Pin.

Make sure to change the shackles to a thicker, stronger shackle when you have the Wet bolts installed (These should come with the Kit). Ask to see the plastic sleeve that will come out of each of the Spring Eye ends. That alone will convince you... it was money well spent. Wet bolt kits will have a bronze sleeve, not plastic.

I went one step more with a installation of TrailAir Center Point Suspension System. Replacing the MorRyde RE System that came on our BigHorn.

summers

I want to thank all of you for your responses. I can see the bennefits for both. One more quick question on this, did you do your own install of the wet bolt kits and how hard was it? Thanks again, Mark

jnbhobe

Lippert did mine when they replaced my springs in their shop, couldn't pass up the $54 for parts and labor. Its not rocket science hardest part is pressing the shackle bolts into one side of the shackle so they won't turn. I also pointed the zerk fittings in towards the center so I can grease them without removing the wheels

GOTTOYS

Not a hard job to install but it's best to have a ball joint press (it looks like a super-heavy duty C clamp) to push the knurled bolts in with. The press is available from Harbor Freight or you can rent one. If you try to pull them in with the nuts you risk stripping the bolt...Don

ultrafarmer

It is most important that you balance those tires so they dont bounce all the way down the road and ruin your shackles. Mine were about to wear though the shackle and be a great big problem. Etrailer.com has them.

summers

Thanks for the install advice, it doesn't sound like it's that bad of a job to do. Probably my biggest problem will be where to do the work at since we won't be able to buy the trailer until the s&b sells, but I'll have time to figure that out. Thanks again, Mark

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Summers, the only thing I would add is....DO NOT jack up by the axles. Jack up by the frame and then only use a jack on the axle spring plates to align the shackle bolts. The correct method to do this is...hook the trailer to the truck so that one side of the front landing gear is not damaged. Jacking up one side will lift one front landing gear off the ground and could bend it.

castiron

I'm not sure what you're talking about, on the wet bolts. I have not heard this term before. Please give me some insight.
Skip

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm not sure what you're talking about, on the wet bolts. I have not heard this term before. Please give me some insight.
Skip

Skip, If you do a search at the top of the page within the forum, you will see numerous posts on the subject. Trace

jnbhobe

Skip

Skip; We are talking about greaseable spring shackle bolts, like you used to have when you got your car greased !!

castiron

I have a 2011 Landmark, I don't think that it has wet bolts, do you think that these are a have to item? I do know that this unit has the Equi-flex suspinsion. Question #2 is where can these be purchased and how hard are they to install. Take into mind that I may only pull this rig about 10 times a year.
Thanks,
Skip

Bob&Patty

Skip, I don't know for sure, but doesn't the Equi-Flex suspension aready have wet bolts? Look at the end of the springs..are there any zerk fittings??

summers

Bob&Patty, thank you for the info about hooking the trailer to the TV. It makes sense but I haven't seen this mentioned before and I hadn't thought about that. I also hadn't considered the Equi-Flex suspension may already have it, if it does then this might be a moot point for me since I'll be buying new when I do. Thanks again, Mark

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
OK, I'm going to show my ignorance here. Just exactly what IS the wet bolt kit and what is it suppose to do? I asked my dealer and he wasn't sure what I was talking about.

Bob&Patty

Skip, if you have not ordered your coach yet...have the factory install the wet bolts when it's made or at least ask your dealer to ask if it can be done.

summers

It is my understanding that the wet bolt kit has heavier-thicker mounting hardware, replaces a plastic spacer in the center of end of the springs where they attach to frame with a brass one and the bolts have grease zerks so as when springs go up and down it keeps from having dry on dry metal grinding against each other.

Mark