ATF: Greystone - Main support bolts

jheitman

The other day I noticed that one of the nuts on the frame were loose. There is a triangle shaped support outside the frame. There is a bolt coming download through the floor and goes through the support out near the aluminum skirt. Any way, it appears that all the nuts on these bolts have comes loose. I'm not sure yet how many maybe lost.

What is the design torque for these bolts?

It appeared that the lock washers have an inside diameter way to large for the bolt size. When I tightened one, the washer moved over to one side leaving part of the nut without any washer under it.

Should I take my Greystone in under warranty to get these bolts torqued, order do I have to tighten them all myself?
Jim

Last edited:

jnbhobe

I would probably tighten them up my self, unless they are pulled thru the floor or something like that. If possible I would change all the nuts to ny-locks so they wouldn't loosen up again.

jheitman

The two I looked at so far seemed to have lock washers that had too large an inside diameter. When I tightened one up the washer moved over to one side leaving part of the lock washer untouched by the nut. This is probably why they are common loose.

hoefler

I would remove the nuts and install the proper size star washer. If you try to use lock nuts, the whole bolt will turn and you will never get it tight unless you can hold he other end.

jheitman

It turns out that, not only were the two bolts I checked yesterday loose, but also the balance of the bolts I checked today.
Here is a picture of the first one I found when I was running my Satellite TV wiring:

The only bolts like these that I could find were only in the non-slide sections of the coach, so there are only 4 on the driver side and two on the passenger side. Here is a typical looking bolt with a good lock washer.

2011-03-20_14-12-46_754.jpg

What is the best way to lock up these bolts? What torque should I set them to?

jim

Attachments

• 2011-03-20_14-11-09_117.jpg
    2011-03-20_14-11-09_117.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 41
D

Dave Willis

This is a question for our service department and our chassis manufacture. I will get this over to them to see if they can help you.

Thanks,

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim, If you can remove the nuts from the bolts that have the large lock washer, do that and replace with star washers or flat washers and nylock nuts. I wouldn't worry much about torque value, just tighten them as you would any fastener through wood. Because they are through a wooden floor, they may loosen after travel. Wood is like that. To be honest, I've not looked for these nor have I noticed them under my rig. It hasn't fallen apart yet.:eek: I noticed on one of your picture, the threads are covered by a nylon tube. It looks like that's to protect the wires that are near the threads. Good idea there...