Hitch Mount Bicycle Racks

Razduck

We will be taking delivery of our 2011 Big Country in about 1 week. My question is this; Does anyone have a receiver hitch mounted on the rear of their Heartland 5th Wheel? We would like to have a receiver hitch w/ 2" receiver to enable us to take a 2 bicycles along with us when we go on extended camping trips. Your responses are appreciated, and Thanks in advance. :)

caissiel

I made one myself and bolted it on the rear of my BC. I had done the same thing on the previous trailer that I used for 13 years. For me it the best solution as I can use the same rack on the rear of the truck and the Toyota Matrix. When the trailer is parked I transfer the rack on the car or truck and carry the bikes to the trails. I have lifted my bikes a few time in the truck box and hurt my back at numerous time, no more lifting my bikes anymore then 24".

castiron

I just purchased a 2011 Landmark, and as well it does not have the receiver hitch for bikes, but would like to know if one could be added or not?
Castiron

Razduck

I sent an e-mail to the Factory Service, and will be discussing this with our RV Dealer as well. When I get more info I will respond back here.

I know I have the option of a Front mount receiver hitch for my truck, but I would prefer to have them on the rear of RV.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I though that HL now had provisions from the factory for a hitch to mounted on the frame. Did they stop doing that??

Razduck

I got a response from Heartland. I was told they don't offer Factory Installed receiver hitches, and that many people prefer to install their own receiver hitches welded directly the RV's frame, for safety and security. I do understand Heartlands response, and will most likely follow the same path, cost being the biggest factor. I know I can install a front receiver hitch on our Silverado HD, for about $150-$175. When we take delivery I will take it to a Hitch shop for a quote on a Custom install.

sandrattt

When we ordered a new BigHorn in Jan the factory would not install a receiver. Our dealer said he would install a 2" reciever for a bike rack, but not for any heavy towing. The trailer is at the dealer now and I stopped in today and saw that they had it installed. The bracket goes up through the very back of the belly panel. I don't know yet how it was attached. We will take delivery in one more day and then I can take a look.

Razduck

I went to a local hitch shop today to get a price quote for a Custom Made 2" receiver Hitch installed on our new 2011 BC. We talked about the options, and our clearance issue on the driveway. He said that we could install large Casters at the same time he installed the receiver hitch. He gave me a $500 quote for both casters and receiver hitch. I think that sounds like a pretty price, what are your thoughts?

bluebirdsnfur

RickandLinda, we are also interested in having a bike hitch installed on the back end of our BC. I know you had a driveway issue but can you explain the 'casters' for me. :confused: Will adding a bike hitch 'after factory' effect trailer warranty?

Will also be interested in other's opinions. :)

Razduck

DebnAl,
When I spoke with Ron at the hitch shop, he assured me that adding a receiver for a bicycle rack would not impact the frame warranty. If a receiver hitch was for towing a small trailer, or building a rack for a motorcycle, would potentially void the frame warranty. The Bicycle rack w/ 2 bicycles is only going to weigh about 100# at most. I explained to him how the rear cap of the BC comes out to a point at the center, and he said that would not be a problem. The actual receiver end can be made to just about any length and ensure proper clearance for the bikes while on the rack.

As far as the Caster Wheels, Ron would first install the receiver hitch, then he would build a custom bracket to ensure that the casters will be 1"-2" below the receiver hitch. This would ensure proper clearance when we back the BC into the driveway and storage. Ron is a real perfectionist, and he really knows his stuff. The Caster Wheels have a 12,000# capacity, and are about 5" diameter, and swivel. I think his price quote seems pretty reasonable, especially considering everything is custom fab'd to our BC. :)

bluebirdsnfur

RickandLinda,

Thank you...good to know. One more thing...could you please post a picture of bike hitch and casters after you have it done. Would REALLY appreciate that!:eek: