Onboard compressor

mesteve

I am looking at adding some air springs to my truck. My question is, what is the consensus about adding an onboard compressor? I kind of like the idea of having a 'sealed' system but don't like the idea of hanging the compressor on a frame rail exposed to the elements. I tend to be on a lot of gravel and pud roads (I use the term road loosely).

Is it worth the cost, complexity, maintenance?
Are there any known drawbacks of these?

I already have a small 120V compressor in the trailer, but of course I can only use it where there is 120V.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have had one mounted on the truck I have now and my previous truck which I had for 10 years without issues. To me that is the only way to go cause you can make adjustments 'on the fly'

jpajax

Just got through putting a Pack Brake on my truck which came with a compressor. It has a tank and external outlet for AC.. So far well pleased with the brake and compressor. If you don't have a exhaust brake or thinking of one you might want to go this route.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If you're referring to the Air-Lift compressor, it might just fit under the hood. On my Chevy there was room for it but I digress, it was a gasser and it didn't have a second battery like my Dmax. Maybe room under the back seat or somewhere else inside?

gpshemi

I have the wireless system from AirLift and I hate it. There's several guys on RV.net that have issues with it as well.
Give me back my plain ol Firestone in cab controller.

Airlift admits to an issue with the valve's logic, but refuses to fix it, or help those that have bought it. They say they will have a revision some day.

mesteve

Out of curiosity, just read thru your posts over at RV.net, wouldn't a manual shut off switch solve the cycling? The reason I ask is a co-worker has a firestone in-cab with the dual guage and had to mount a shut off so I am guessing he had the same type of problem with the pump running whne he felt it shouldn't be.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I powered my Air Lift from one of the upfitter switches in the cab of the Ford. To turn it off I just flip the switch.

gpshemi

Yes. It should solve the pump cycling and I actually have those valves now to install. Kinda defeats the purpose of wireless (or in cab controller) though when you have to get out and open or close the two valves.

It's just got a bad design period.

Zuey

I mounted my compressor in a battery box and mounted it under truck bed. I added a dump valve and relay. I then ran an air line and wires to the cab and mounted a gauge and switches under the dash. This way you can add or release air from the cab. I am planning to change the system later and add an air tank. This will require a little rewireing and a check valve. My system also has air connection run through the running board of the truck so you can add or release air there if the compressor fails.

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
Only place that I found to mount my Firestone compressor and tank was on the outside of the rail under the passenger back seat. I bolted both to the rail and then mounted a box that I had built around both which is open to the back for ventilation. Unless I'm doing crazy stuff in reverse, that's kept the dirt, rain and MN snow away from the compressor and tank.
I also mounted a switch to control on/off for compressor and ran a line to the back which is mounted on the same plate as the 7 pin harness.... mainly to pump up air hitch as needed.
So far... been working great!

mesteve

I actually mounted the compressor and wireless reciever in the front bumper. We are in the dirt and mud enough that I would not trust it underneath and there was no good spot under the hood to mount both units. I am going to shape a piece of sheetmetal just to deflect the little bit of water that gets to it during rain/snow.