HELP! NO HOT WATER and it's cold here : )

SMDAT

We have a 2010 Elkridge QSRL.

We lost hot water operation.

Propane full, water tank full, No propane flame, No electric, No ignition. Tried the reset (shut down wait five minutes). No propane ignition light.

Everything else in the trailer is functioning fine.

Any ideas?

We did just get it back from being "summerized".

THANKS!
Sean

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Check the spade connectors on the solonoid on the water heater. Also there may be two hidden reset buttons there.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Check the 120V circuit breaker for it, along with the switch on the face of the water heater. There is probably a 15A ATC fuse in the 12V fuse panel, as well. If you have the red inside switch to run it on electric, does it light up when you turn it on? On your monitor panel, does the heater switch (to run on propane) indicator light up when you turn it on?

The 120V and 12V thermostat reset buttons on the outside of the water heater are in the event the unit overheats. They are supposed to trip, cutting off electric power. Resetting is only a single push.

If no success, contact your dealer and Suburban. There is a two year warranty on the workings, longer on the tank.

SMDAT

Thanks for the help. Where might I look for the water heater bypass valve? Had heard that was a possibility.

Also the two "reset" switches outside (within the heater compartment) feel solid, can't push either one in?

There is a rubber outside housing for the reset switches and then a right and left area to push. However they don't budge : )

We did get it to ignite briefly (about 5 minutes) red light on panel comes on for a few seconds and then the unit sounded as if it was burning and running. Then shut itself down again.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks for the help. Where might I look for the water heater bypass valve? Had heard that was a possibility.

Also the two "reset" switches outside (within the heater compartment) feel solid, can't push either one in?

There is a rubber outside housing for the reset switches and then a right and left area to push. However they don't budge : )

We did get it to ignite briefly (about 5 minutes) red light on panel comes on for a few seconds and then the unit sounded as if it was burning and running. Then shut itself down again.

Unless they've tripped due to overheat, the two reset switches under the rubber covers don't move.

Depending on your rig, the water heater bypass valving may be behind the water heater, where the hot and cold lines feed into it.

I don't have any experience getting into the innards of the water heater electronics, so I'll refrain from trying to guess at a fix. If no one comes up with an answer, contact Suburban in the morning and they may be able walk you through a diagnostic procedure to isolate what the problem might be. Or they may just say, take it to your dealer.

If you have shore power, can you get hot water on electric only?

hoefler

Sounds like there is no water in the heater. Make sure the bypass valves are letting water in the tank. Open the pressure relief valve, you should get water out of it immediately. If you don't the bypass valves are on bypass. If you get a rush of air, one of the bypass valves is still in the wrong direction.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Branson, unfortunately, the Elk Ridge doesn't have bypass valves in the UDC. i believe they are behind the UDC, and you have to remove a panel in the basement to get to them.

olcoon

I don't know about the QSRL, but on our 27RLSS, the bypass valves are behind a panel inside the 5er, below where the refer is. You have to unscrew the screws to remove it. If I remember correctly it's the only panel with screws in it. Hope this helps!

SMDAT

Thanks all for the suggestions! The forum is awesome! Turns out the bypass valves are in the basement. Dealer forgot to reset valves after "summerize" geeeeeeeez. Working great now : )

Lynn1130

Yep, that will do it. We had the same problem on the shakedown run. The gas fired one time heating the water in the tank but then the water could not move so neither the gas or electric could heat more water because it was always hot in the tank. Seems the factory forgot to open the bypass valves. In our case (3010) they are hidden behind a panel in the storage area.