Big Country - Entrance Door Opens by its self

Bob Vaughn

I think I may have an adjustment problem with some of my doors, when I close one of the slam doors my entrance door will open even when it is locked and some times when I close my entrance door one of my baggage doors will open. When I have been in my camper and close a door I have to check the other doors to see if they opened....:(

Willym

Re: ATF: Big Country - Entrance Door Opens by its self

Do both doors open just as easily by pushing/pulling on them? If so, it appears that the catchs are not engaging fully. For the entrance door I have seen a number of trailers where the wood of the door jamb behind the strike plate has not been properly mortised out. The catch on slam doors engages with a metal hoop, which is attached to plate which has some adjustment.

GOTTOYS

You aren't putting too much tension on the rear stabilizers causing a slight twist or bend in the floor that could cause a problem with the doors closing properly. I have never had a problem like that with my 3250...Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Don has made a good point. Does this happen with the BC hooked to your TV and none of the landing gear down??

B

bwwalczak

This should not happen. This should be a discussion with dealer / Heartland service. They can help to diagnose / remedy.

Bob Vaughn

I checked my entrance door this morning before I went to work and it was shut tight.....when I got home from work it had come open.....It was as though the heat build up and forced it open to relieve the build up in heat.....

danemayer

When we picked up our Rushmore, the doorside basement slam door would pull open when locked. It didn't seem to be adjustable, so the dealer bent the catch a bit so it engaged better.

Bob&Patty

Bob, your's sounds like pressure build up. That would be the only way if you slam one door another opens. Hard to believe that your BC is that air tight. If it is ..DUDE..... it should float. Maybe it is haunted. I still think that it must not be quite level or in a twist, other wise the doors would come open driving down the road. I hope you or HL figure's out what is happening. If you believe that it's building pressure inside, either leave the Fantastic fan on or the stool room vent open. That would solve that problem.

GOTTOYS

I checked my entrance door this morning before I went to work and it was shut tight.....when I got home from work it had come open.....It was as though the heat build up and forced it open to relieve the build up in heat.....

Too much heat, I bet that might be it! They might have a pressure relief valve built into the door latch mechanism for that...Maybe try leaving some windows open or better yet leave the A/C running?? I haven't had any trouble like that but we live in Minnesota where it doesn't get as warm..... Or.... if it's parked in your yard and the rear stabilizers are down..try lifting them up to take the excess pressure off the frame....Or.... take a screwdriver and adjust the strike plate for the door outward a little bit so it latches all the way...Or.... maybe call Ghostbusters.......Don

Bob&Patty

Don, A pressure relief valve.....REALLY. You got to be pulling our legs and Bob has door problem that does seem a little strange.

Bob Vaughn

IAN called me from heartland and had me go check the opening in the door frame and it was not morticed out so the latch will not go all the way into the opening in the frame.....Another thing to add to the list for the dealer to take care of....

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired

So much for my haunted theory.

Bob&Patty

Bob, glad you got your reply from HL. So now we know it was just jarring that side of the coach that made the door open. Glad it wasn't pocessed. I know you want your warranty to pay for it...But if were my coach I think I would fix it myself. Don't know if I want some 19 yr old with a big hammer and chisle working my coach. Been there...done that. Your call....best of luck to you. JMHO

traveler44

I was going to bet that it wasn't air tight. You know you have return air for your furnace that comes from the outside. Thats the where the most draft can be felt on ours on cold mornings. In our Bighorn it's below the fridge. Tom M.

Bob Vaughn

Yesterday when I got home from work the door was open so I adjusted the latch and today when I got home it was still closed so I yanked on the handle and it stayed shut so mabey my adjustment worked......

Bob Vaughn

I guess I did not adjust the latch enough...the door was standing open this morning.....I did find out that the key will not come out of the dead bolt when it is locked from the outside....seems kinda strange to me must be a safety thing....