Cyclone - Compartment Slam Latches

Cycloner3950

Crazy for Camping!
Hi, looking to upgrade my 2010 3950 baggage compartment latches to the new style slam latches? As always, I am sure heartland can advise and assist. I want to add this very good mod ASAP. Also looking to purchase the cherry wood fridge door inserts for the kitchen fridge (wife always wanted this vs. the flat veneer panels). One last item, would like to install the second electric rear awning (carefree model). Can you assist with what length to order, flat pitch or steep? Can I buy this directly from Heartland?

Please help us out.
P.S. - we love our Cyclone 3950, just always trying to make it better!

gpshemi

Re: ATF: Cyclone - Compartment Slam Latches

Here's what you want. The factory versions are not retro-fittable as I understand it. The door is framed with the slam latch in mind. So there's framing to support the coach side part of the slam latch (striker). This model below is made by Challenger Door http://challengerdoor.com/ and appeared to use the same frames that are stock. I spent alot of time analyzing this mod at the last camper show. I just haven't figured out where I can buy them yet though. Would be a GREAT mod and I'd love to work through it with you. We love ours too, but it was suppose to come with Slam Latches since it was a 2010 model. I was disappointed, but not enough to pass on it.

On a side note about Challenger Door, they make a wickedly cool entrance door window. Check out the 975 series RV door. I wish Heartland would do this in their toyhaulers. Some floor plans have very few windows on the entrance side. This would be great. I reviewed these as well, but they seem to come in tinted and not mirrored like the rest of the windows. I think it might look funny as a mod.

IMAG0041.jpg
Sorry for the bad pic. Cell phone pic.

Mike Aplin

I am not familiar with upgrading the slam baggage doors or "latches" after the fact. The supplier for these doors is LCI.com. The rear awning length would be an 11' awning. You can check with our customer service about installation instructions as well as you could order directly from Heartland. Take care, Mike :cool:

gpshemi

You mean Lippert Components, Inc - www.lci1.com
Lipperts Slam-Latch is not retro-fitable because the striker is a seperate piece that's machined out and pocketed into the framing for the door. The doors are framed specifically with that latch in mind.

The advantage of the Challenger part I showed was that the striker is just a small part that clips on the existing Lippert door frame...or at least appeared to anyway.

porthole

Retired

I was hoping for a Goshen promotion for slam doors....................