Surge Guard

jpmorgan37

Well, it finally happened. Yesterday we had a fairly violent thunderstorm with a close lightening strike and my Surge Guard tripped. Other than having to reset my clocks and turn my computer back on, that was it. Some of the other folks in the park weren't that lucky. I've been using the portable Surge Guard for a good while and this is the first time it tripped. I'm sure glad I had it. http://www.surgeguard.com/P34750.htm It paid for itself today.

John

HappyKayakers

Ours tripped a few months ago due to a brown out (I think). No damage to any electronics inside. Knowing the thing is working and protecting my stuff - priceless :D

Tom of Ypsi

John & Joe,

I have not bought one yet but with your posts my mind has been made up. Tomorrow I am going to get one. We have a FCRV campout in Davison, Mi the end of April and I understand that the electrical is marginal at best which finally started to make me look, your posts convinced me. Thanks

jpmorgan37

Tom:
I just have the portable that plugs into the cord and the pedestal. I was going to get the hard wired one but found this one on e-bay for about $200 so couldn't pass it up. I've seen several hard wired ones on there go cheap also, compared to new. Here is the whole product list: http://www.surgeguard.com/Products.htm
John

Tom of Ypsi

John,

Thanks for the info on the surge guard. I also got your e-mail but that only sent me to ebay and told me to do my own search. That is the first time I have ever seen that.

Tom

jpmorgan37

Tom;
Go to Buy, ebay motors and put this in:
TRC RV Surge Guard 120/240 50amp

s.gif
It will take you to it.

John

Tom of Ypsi

John,

Thanks for the link. I looked at it and looks like what I want. If I get one I will just have to figure out how to hook it up. I suppose it is pretty cut and dry, red wire to red wire, green to green etc.

JJAK17

I have been thinking about buying one of these. Are there other brands out there and what is your take on them? Any info would be great. Thanks
Jason

billd

There is Surge Guard and Progressive. They both make hard wired ones and plug in ones. They seem to be the most popular out there. I have found a few off brands but they dont come close to the protection of SG and Progressive.

I currently have a Progressive PT50C plugin one and once it sells I am going to ge the hard wired one.

Bill

jpmorgan37

From my initial research several years ago, I have to agree with billd. The protection values as well as the background of the two companies exceeded anything else that I found. The plug in's offer the same protection as the hard-wired, the only disadvantage to the plug in's is that without a lock, they can disappear. I haven't had the problem and don't know of anyone that has. The locks sell for around $30.

John

OK...being "electrically challenged" I have a question! Doesn't the circuit breaker on the service post where you plug in at most camp grounds provide protection against such issues?
No way. The breaker where you plug in only protects the CG wiring if you short something out. Of course you have some protection in the fact that it will shut off power to your rig.
In your next post you asked about a surge protector. It is very basic. I would move up to one that will tell you what the problem is if you have one. They also offer almost twice the protection. And if it is the hard wired version, they have replaceable parts in cast something gets blown from a power strike. But now your talking around $300.

Peace
Dave