Best Water Hose??

soilmovers

Where can I buy quality RV water hoses?

I have no luck with water hoses (yes, I use a water regulator) they leak, bulge and then explode into a gusher...

Thanks!

Cindy
near McKinney, TX

GOTTOYS

I bought some nylon reinforced clear hose at a big box store, 2 machined brass ends and 2 hose clamps and made my own. The machined fittings are way better than those cheap stamped ones. You get get all of it at most big box home improvement stores and make it any length you want....Don

traveler44

Cindy, Are you hooking your pressure regulator up to the water spigot first and then hooking your water hose to it? If the pressure regulator is working right, you shouldn't have enough pressure to blow the hose out. I have used the cheap Walmart hoses for years and never had a problem. Most of the time the rv parks don't have as much water pressure as I would like. Tom M.

rustyshakelford

Cindy, Are you hooking your pressure regulator up to the water spigot first and then hooking your water hose to it? If the pressure regulator is working right, you shouldn't have enough pressure to blow the hose out. I have used the cheap Walmart hoses for years and never had a problem. Most of the time the rv parks don't have as much water pressure as I would like. Tom M.

for some reason I thought you have to put the pressure regulator at the campers inlet. I was thinking there would be to much friction loss in the hose if you had it at the spigot and it would give you less than desired pressure. I think if i moved it there, it would take alot of stress off the inlet piping!

brett

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Would you recommend the brass or stainless fittings? I need to get about 300 ft.

thanks for the link!!

Cindy
300 Feet!!! Ouch, that'll leave a mark. I have the brass and depending on the water where ever I'm at I do get some occasional corrosion. Nothing serious but I think if I were to do it again I would go with the stainless.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

If the Water Filter Store is back to offering the SS connectors, get them. My first hose from them had those. Loved them until they started to internally rotate, making them a failure to use. So they went to offering brass only while their supplier retooled. If the new ones came out, bet they are good.

Jim

traveler44

It's not that I don't read well-- It's darned slow internet. 300 foot of hose in the hot sun would really require a good reinforced hose. I thought using the pressure regulator at the spigot helped protect the hose though, at least in our case. I can just see those cheap plastic hoses blowing up if they get hot and have over 40# of pressue in them. Tom M.

2010augusta

If you need 300' of hose just go buy a roll of 1/2" PEX and crimp on a couple hose ends on it. it might still be more portable than 300' of vinyl hose.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hi guys.. we are still off hwy 5. Give me a holler and I will try to come by and bum a beer.

I wonder if it would be cheaper to use some PVC and put a short hose on each end. I would use a 3/4" PVC and an adapter for a water hose. Put a regulator on the user end.

The hoses from the RV Water Filter Store are suppose to be tested up to 200 psi.

Buy one end at 30 or 36 feet and use it later in the RV. Their hoses are kink free.

BC

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Just a few industry insider notes on water hoses. Brass has been or is being outlawed in several states because of the lead content (EPA). Prices have been skyrocketing industry wide for brass fittings. We have seen on an average 10 to 25% increase in wholesale prices month to month. There is a bleed-over effect in the propane brass fittings as well.
I also found out that Camco is making a new "premium" water hose with machined fittings. You should start seeing it in stores shortly. Another plus, Camco's hoses are MADE IN THE USA. I've got one on order, so will see how it works out.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I 2nd the vote for the pex hose, light weight and easy to handle. Also 300 ft of 3/4 pvc pipe would work, but not user friendly if you need to move it or carry it with you when you move. Also some places have large spools of hose you could buy and install your own fittings on them. Still would be heavy and hard to handle in long lengths. So many choices, so little time.

Manzan

One more thing about water hoses--if you shut off the faucet with the hose attached and full of water and in the sun, the water will expand and blow up any hose, not to mention what it would do to the plumbing in your rig. Worked in a garden store for 42 years and this would happen when people would shut off a nozzle then shut off the water at the faucet. Sometimes, if cheap enough hose, it would just blow up like a balloon, but most of the time break.
Manzan

soilmovers

It has been awhile since I've checked the forum and the replies. Thanks for all this great info. We bought 300 ft of hose from the RV water filter store. It's a superior product, no doubt.
I need another 200 ft as my older hoses are leaking and bursting. Guess the Texas heat and sun has something to do with it! Now I turn off the water during the day and use the fresh holding tank. A lot more work!

Where is the best place to buy PEX hose? I am not familiar with it. 1/2" big enough?

I appreciate all the advice! thanks again!