Gotterdone!

bluebirdsnfur

So we now own a BC3450. Won't take possesion for a few weeks as the dealership will be adding an second air conditioner and upgrading tires to Goodyear tires. We are also trading in our F150 for a GMC 350HD. The Ford 350 crew cab just wouldn't fit in our garage. Then a hitch installed by Classy Chassy...not sure which one yet.

We have NEVER hauled anything before and I am soooo freakin out!

Dave49

Congrats to both of you, you are going to have a blast. Nothing like Rving in style.

Have Fun

Dave

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Congratulations on your new lifestyle.

You will find many things with this lifestyle to be addicting....not the least of which is this forum and all the friends you will meet.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new Big Country. Don't worry about learning the art of towing, that will come. Just find a big parking lot, like a school that is not in session and practice backing, turning and watching how the rig tracks during a turn. I put out some orange cones and practices thru them. It works. Enjoy and travel safely.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Congrads on the new coach! Before you know it, that rig will be on that truck and you will be heading towards fun and games galore. The last few days will be hard tho.

Classy Chasis will do a great job on the hitch, and the new truck should get you to your favorite camping spot without any worries. So drive safe and the next time we pass thru Indiana we will keep an eye out for you. Have fun and enjoy making all those great memories. Michael

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Congrads on the new condo and being part of the HL family. My 3cts (inflation).....Make wide turns, watch your mirrors at all times... slow down WAAAAAAAY ahead of time. Most important...when backing up....1st get out and look around the camp site. 2nd tell the DW..as nice as you can (dont ask)..."if you can't see my face in the mirror..then I can't see you". Back up slowly and follow the trailer. DO NOT try to back up by looking out the back window....ONLY MIRRORS. Correct with the steering wheel ..SLOWLY. Until you get REALLY good..don't try to "blind side" back your coach in. Trust me you will know what I mean real soon. JMHO Bob

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
DebnAl, congrats on the new rig. Don't be freakin out, you'll do fine. Like Bob&Patty said, take your time.

Razduck

DebnAl,

Congrats on the Heartland purchase as well as the GMC 3500HD. Both rigs will make you very happy. The earlier folks gave you some great advise. Once you get used to having a Big Rig attached to your truck, it will get easier and easier for you. Trust your mirrors, and watch them at all times. Be sure you use the Tow Mode on the truck, and don't think you can keep up with traffic on the hills. Be sure to keep an eye on the Semi's they are usually friendly and courteous, but not always. I know you'll get the hang of this very quickly, and then the fun begins....Hitch-up and off you go!!

One piece of advise, get your 5th wheel loaded with everything you'll need, and leave it in there. We only have to load-up the frig., hitch-up and we're gone. We can literally be off and away in about 20-30 minutes. It makes those last minute decisions/trips much easier and much more fun, when you don't have to think about what you need to load-up before you leave.:)

bluebirdsnfur

THANK YOU, ALL OF YOU! I am so glad I found and joined this forum a few months ago. I love the family/friends feeling, the help, support AND sense of humor you guys provide. A lot to digest tho, which has cost me a few sleepless nights I might add. :confused:

THANKS also to Heartland for setting up this great website/forum. It's addicting...and that is a good thing!

Right now, unlike most of you, my OMG, WHOA, WHAT DID WE JUST DO emotions are overriding my excitement. So I am somewhat glad we are not able to haul our new BC home for a few more weeks. Tonight I think I need a Goose dirty martini. ;)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Al, 1 more thing. As Rick said and others will agree, DON't go crazy buying stuff. Get good plastic dishes (stay away from glass stuff). Paper plates and holders work fine.....your camping. Put all your heavy stuff (cookware) in the lower cabinets. Use the rubbery shelf lining to keep things in place. Don't buy enough chairs to seat all your friends. Get 4 that fold up small. Get platic totes to keep stuff seperated in the basement. Shop at Wallyworld (Wal-Mart) they have lots of camping stuff. CW is really expensive. Come back here for advise on buying things before you spend BIG bucks on things. We have all been there-done that. Most of use can give you links to places that sell good stuff CHEAP. Buy pillows, blankets, towels, silverware, clothes, jackets, undies, socks...you get picture, that stay in the coach. You will be funishing another house. What you have to remember is...that a 5er is a "rolling earthquake" so load carefully.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
THANK YOU, ALL OF YOU! I am so glad I found and joined this forum a few months ago. I love the family/friends feeling, the help, support AND sense of humor you guys provide. A lot to digest tho, which has cost me a few sleepless nights I might add. :confused:

THANKS also to Heartland for setting up this great website/forum. It's addicting...and that is a good thing!

Right now, unlike most of you, my OMG, WHOA, WHAT DID WE JUST DO emotions are overriding my excitement. So I am somewhat glad we are not able to haul our new BC home for a few more weeks. Tonight I think I need a Goose dirty martini. ;)

If you keep your hand over the glass, the geese can't sit on the rim. Personally, I'd try to avoid getting green cigars in my booze.

As for dishes, we like the Corelle ones. Relatively indestructible, don't get funky from greasy stuff or tomato sauce, and not really heavy. Microwaveable, too. You can find them reasonably priced at outlet malls. The more you use your rig, the more obvious it will become which accessories are worth having and what you really need to carry with you. Kinda like a bell curve, starting out with little, piling on a mountain of stuff, and then weeding it out. I'm in the weeding out phase, but always looking for worthwhile goodies.

bluebirdsnfur

Al, 1 more thing. As Rick said and others will agree, DON't go crazy buying stuff. Get good plastic dishes (stay away from glass stuff). Paper plates and holders work fine.....your camping. Put all your heavy stuff (cookware) in the lower cabinets. Use the rubbery shelf lining to keep things in place. Don't buy enough chairs to seat all your friends. Get 4 that fold up small. Get platic totes to keep stuff seperated in the basement. Shop at Wallyworld (Wal-Mart) they have lots of camping stuff. CW is really expensive. Come back here for advise on buying things before you spend BIG bucks on things. We have all been there-done that. Most of use can give you links to places that sell good stuff CHEAP. Buy pillows, blankets, towels, silverware, clothes, jackets, undies, socks...you get picture, that stay in the coach. You will be funishing another house. What you have to remember is...that a 5er is a "rolling earthquake" so load carefully.

Bob&Patti, thank you for the list. My anxiety is quickly passing as the excitement grows. I have began my 'shopping' list and will try to keep it short (if that's possible) till I know for sure what we really need. I really appreciate any and all suggestions!

bluebirdsnfur

If you keep your hand over the glass, the geese can't sit on the rim. Personally, I'd try to avoid getting green cigars in my booze.

Yeah...that martini was just what I needed! And... there is always a grey goose in my martinis :rolleyes: ...don't know about those green cigars:p

I will check out the corelle dishes. Thanks! Starting to look forward to shopping for the 'neccissities' and , as suggested, will pick up as we go.

BTW...what size ladder does everyone bring with them and what size totes do you mostly use?

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Congratulations on the new rig! You will really enjoy the Big Country. We also have the 3450TS and absolutely love the RV.

We carry a 6' step ladder because it fits in the basement. Works for most our needs but a 10' would come in handy! Many use the folding ones.

Best Wishes!

JohnDar

I picked up a Cosco 17ft multi-position ladder at WalMart and carry it in the basement, bungeed to the forward wall. Gives me a tall, stable A-frame ladder when I can't or don't want to lean against the wall. It may be a tad heavy for some, but I don't have a problem with it.

View attachment 12462

bluebirdsnfur

SJH...thank you! That might be all we need.

JohnDar...I've seen similar ones like that and will have DH check that one too. Thank you!

Cimriver...don't have it in hand yet but we are very pleased with our choice. Yes, it is a BIS winner!

I'll be back when I need to pick your brains again ;) If not here...over in 'Big Country' forum.

JohnDar

SJH...thank you! That might be all we need.

JohnDar...I've seen similar ones like that and will have DH check that one too. Thank you!

Cimriver...don't have it in hand yet but we are very pleased with our choice. Yes, it is a BIS winner!

I'll be back when I need to pick your brains again ;) If not here...over in 'Big Country' forum.

I was just in WalMart's today and checked the ladders. They still have them, at $129.00, and they are rated by OSHA as Type 1A, Extra Heavy Duty, 300 lbs. load maximum.

bluebirdsnfur

Hey, thanks JohnDar! That looks like a pretty good ladder. I'll have Al get over there and check it out this weekend (and a coffee pot).

I love boys who do my homework for me! :eek: