Brake controller

Yellowreef

Hello all,

I recently purchased an Edge M18 TT. I am scheduled to pick it up on wednesday and my service advisor at the dealer mentioned I would need a brake controller. I am doing some googling and so forth, but I want to be fairly educated on brake controllers when I get there that day. Not that I distrust dealers in any way :). I just want to make an informed decision and he mentioned they have several models.

So, what are some of the things to consider and is there anything to stay away from in your experience?

Thanks.

jimtoo

Hi Yellowreef,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I have had a Prodigy and another electric controller... but last year I went to the MaxBrake. The MaxBrake ties into the hydraulic brake system of your tow vehicle and applies in proportion to your brake pedal application where the electric controllers depend on inertia to apply the trailer brakes. I will never go back.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Enjoy the forum.

camr

We have a Prodigy and it works fine with our Edge M-22. Stay away from controllers that work on the time principal. They are less costly, but not nearly as good as ones that use the inertia principal. We have had great success with the Reese sway control WD hitch as well. I think that you made a great choice with the Edge. We have had absolutely no problems with ours.
Cam

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Prodigy P3, get it on Amazon.com. Also get the pig tail for hooking it up to your tow vehicle, it is a breeze to install.
Good Luck!

Dutch & Di

Another brand to consider is the Max Brake controller. It has, by far been the best controller we have had in our 14+ years of fulltiming. Diana