Raising Sewer Discharge Plumbing

JJnLilly

Wondering if there is some reason the discharge plumbing on my Greystone 32RL are so low. We do a lot of dry camping and have yet to find a 'blue-boy' low enough for the sewage to drain directly into. The discharge pipe is slightly over a foot off the ground. Would it be possible to shorten the drop from the tanks so that the entire discharge plumbing would be higher off the ground? If there is no engineering reason why it has to be so slow, you would think that Heartland would realize the problem exists.

Posed this question isn "Ask the Factory" and did not get a response.

sandman

:)Hey JJ, My Sundance had the same problem when i bought it . My discharge pipe was hanging only 10 inches off the ground so i shortened it and changed the angle and it still works fine, take care.:cool:

traveler44

We are at one of the biggest and best known rv parks east of Tampa and just off I-4. It looks like you have to "milk" the sewer hose when you drain because the sewer hole is uphill. They said that they are all like that here. We"ll see what they are like down the road. The drain on the B.H. could have been a few inches higher in my opinion too. Tom M.

jbeletti

...It looks like you have to "milk" the sewer hose when you drain because the sewer hole is uphill...

Good one - I've had to "hump the stinky slinky" many times. Never considered that I may have been "milking it" :)

Seriously though - on sites like that, I do end up walking the RV end towards the sewer hole while holding the hose in the air. I usually add rinse water and drain it again. Not fun, but who has 30 feet of sewer hose stand? Not me.

Jim

jbeletti

Extra hose I got. Extra hose stand - not that much :)

Plus, I got that highfalutin hose and matching extension. Not sure if you knew it, but during the Nashville rally, I had to have the hose extension sent to me there as I could not reach the sewer as it was at the back of my site. Just like Goshen :)

Jim

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Extra hose I got. Extra hose stand - not that much :)

Plus, I got that highfalutin hose and matching extension. Not sure if you knew it, but during the Nashville rally, I had to have the hose extension sent to me there as I could not reach the sewer as it was at the back of my site. Just like Goshen :)

Jim

Didn't you say something about needing 35 feet of sewer hose at Goshen?? Or can we just dig drainage trenches and little retainer pits for the distance we're short?:eek:

jbeletti

Just bring 100 pounds of kitty litter and a lot of lye :) Or not! Yeah, everything is in the back. So all the sewer hose you got plus a little extra water hose length.

Fun times ahead.

Jim

porthole

Retired
Just bring 100 pounds of kitty litter and a lot of lye :) Or not! Yeah, everything is in the back. So all the sewer hose you got plus a little extra water hose length.
[/QUOTE?

First I'm hearing this, but I'm covered. Have you made that a bullet in any of the literature?

Or we could all go around swapping sewer hoses all weekend.

jbeletti

...First I'm hearing this, but I'm covered. Have you made that a bullet in any of the literature? Or we could all go around swapping sewer hoses all weekend.

This appears somewhere during the registration process. And yeah, in one of the final rally emails that go out, there will be a reminder.

Jim

jbeletti

Jon,

Yeah, that happens sometimes. Sorry to be the instigator but could not resist the "milking" comment. I invite you to send a direct email of your comments and concerns to the Greystone brand manager, Dave Willis. Click here to email him.

JohnDar

OK, I'm now the proud owner of 35 feet of Rhino-flex hose. Picked up two fittings and two 5ft. extensions to add to my 15 and 10 ft. sections I had. I'll be able to poop long distance...or at least dump it. If that's not enough, then a pit and a gallon or two of diesel fuel to remember me by when I leave. Watch where you step :eek:

What's this talk about having to massage the "snake?"

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Distance is not the problem, it is the height (from ground) of the of the drain.
I think their meaning is to use a longer hose to the blue tank and then, a little at time, raise the higher end of the hose to force the liquids into the blue tank. Depending on how large the blue tank is, you'll have to do this quite a few times.

How much higher is the blue tank than the outlet at the trailer?

JohnDar

Back to the original question, when we had the TT, it rode low and the sewer connection was too low for a connection to the blue tote. At the state park, the sites were either dirt or gravel, so I scooped out a shallow trench to put the tote in under the pipe and that took care of it. Just a short length of hose to connect was all I needed. Before leaving, I pushed the spoil pile back into the trench.

JJnLilly

The bottom of the outlet is 9 1/2 inches above ground level/ I have yet to find a 'blueboy' that would allow a downward drain from that height. I know I can 'milk' the hose, but if there is no logical reason for the outlet being so low - then why was it made that way?

JJnLilly

Per the factory, mine is "up to code" so that's the way it is I guess. The newer ones are coming off the line two inches higher than mine. Ah well, time to breakout the hacksaw and do some plumbing work on my own.